Author Topic: Gauging Interest in a 1v1 Tournament with Prizes  (Read 2511 times)

Offline Skyyr

• persona non grata
  • Gold Member
Gauging Interest in a 1v1 Tournament with Prizes
« on: September 11, 2024, 06:03:05 PM »
Show of hands, how many people would be interested in a 1v1 ladder-style tournament, using the same rules and style as BaldEagl's old 1v1 ladder.

Prizes would be gift cards or flight sim equipment.
Skyyr

Tours:
166 - 190
198 - 204
218 - 220
286 - 287
290 - 296

nrshida: "I almost beat Skyyr after he took a 6 year break!"
A few moments later...

vs Shane: 30-11

KOTH Wins: 6, Egos Broken: 1000+

Mmmmm... tears.

Offline Bopgun

• Nickel Member
Re: Gauging Interest in a 1v1 Tournament with Prizes
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2024, 06:05:22 PM »
I’d be down
Ingame: StepSis

Stuck in the Washing Machine!

Offline Banshee7

• Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2024, 06:21:59 PM »
Will there be practice rounds?
Tours 86 - 296

Offline mERv

• Silver Member
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2024, 06:24:10 PM »
Show of hands, how many people would be interested in a 1v1 ladder-style tournament, using the same rules and style as BaldEagl's old 1v1 ladder.

Prizes would be gift cards or flight sim equipment.
+1

Wonder what the legal stipulations are for friendly wagers or even a buy-in tounament.

On behalf of the community thank you for this whether it happens or not  :salute
« Last Edit: September 11, 2024, 06:39:49 PM by mERv »
"Its no problem to be the best, but to be so much better than the best is going to bring accusations."Haggarty
"Ever wonder why its always b-17s and B-24s? It allows him an extreme advantage over other players hence his bomber kill count, that and his lazer beam guns"Diaster
"Take your meds" ShadowX

Offline Skyyr

• persona non grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2024, 06:41:37 PM »
Will there be practice rounds?

Only for players who haven't quit the game in the last 12 months.
Skyyr

Tours:
166 - 190
198 - 204
218 - 220
286 - 287
290 - 296

A few moments later...

Mmmmm... tears.

Offline Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2024, 06:45:38 PM »
I'm in.
”KILLER V”
Charter Member of the P-51 Mustang Skin Mafia
- THE DAMNED -
King of the Hill Champ Tour 219 - Win Percentage 100
"1v1 Skyyr might be the best pilot ever to play the game." - Via PM, Name Redacted

Offline Bopgun

• Nickel Member
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2024, 06:47:35 PM »
No quitters no spitters?

Online scott66

• Gold Member
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2024, 06:55:08 PM »
For what's it's worth I'll put up the best 8  second fight you ever had! I'm in
"scott66"        
 XO ThunderHorse Squadron.    

"This place is a psychologist's wet dream".... FishBait

Offline mERv

• Silver Member
« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2024, 06:55:39 PM »
I'm in.
i will buy a logitech 3d pro just for this so i can remind you of who I am outside of strategic bomber gunship play :x
"Its no problem to be the best, but to be so much better than the best is going to bring accusations."Haggarty
"Ever wonder why its always b-17s and B-24s? It allows him an extreme advantage over other players hence his bomber kill count, that and his lazer beam guns"Diaster
"Take your meds" ShadowX

Offline Bopgun

• Nickel Member
« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2024, 06:57:10 PM »
i will buy a logitech 3d pro just for this so i can remind you of who I am outside of strategic bomber gunship play :x

I got a spare, it’s in the box on my
lap.

Offline Bopgun

• Nickel Member
« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2024, 09:06:20 PM »
So 6 so far?

Offline ZE

• Copper Member
« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2024, 12:13:38 AM »
Players can choose their preference plane?

Offline Skyyr

• persona non grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #12 on: September 12, 2024, 09:29:25 AM »
Players can choose their preference plane?

Aside from the first plane choice (which is based on the ladder position), the loser of each round picks the next round's plane. Each fight is same plane vs same plane.

Skyyr

Tours:
166 - 190
198 - 204
218 - 220
286 - 287
290 - 296

A few moments later...

Mmmmm... tears.

Offline Shane

• Platinum Member
« Reply #13 on: September 12, 2024, 10:05:14 AM »
In case you haven't found them, here's an iteration of the rules for the bracket-styled tournament.   

https://bbs.hitechcreations.com/smf/index.php/topic,269285.msg3365415.html#msg3365415

copypasta

First a re-post of the rules.  I added a section on posting films for contested duels:

Rules:

- Brackets will be determined by random draw of names out of a hat (or other convenient container).
- If there are odd numbers of players I will work them into the brackets although they may have to fly more or less rounds than other players.  They will be those chosen last in the random draw.
- Duels must be arranged between the players by PM, IM, e-mail or other means to take place by midnight CDT Sunday following each bracket update (6 days).
- Duels will be best of three.
- First duel plane selection will be assigned using a random number generator to select from all availble fighter and fighter/attack aircraft (except the Me163 and Me262).  This will be done individually for each set of duelers.
- The loser of each duel selects the aircraft for the next duel.  This allows the loser to pick his/her best aircraft to get back into contention and if it goes three rounds each player will have had one plane selection.
- All duels will take place in the DA canyon area.
- All duels will be 25% fuel loadout with players choice of gun package and convergence.
- All merges will be guns cold (no firing until you have passed your opponent's 3/9 line).
- All merges will be co-alt at 10K until within icon range at which point a merge break can begin.
- Anything goes after the initial merge.
- In the case of a draw (both run out of fuel for instance) that duel will be re-fought using the same aircraft.
- In the case of a collision:
   * If only one player collides (only one gets the collision message) the duel continues.
   * If both players collide (both get the collision message) the duel immediately ends and will be re-started in the same planes.
- Intentionally ditching or bailing constitutes forfieture of the duel.
- The intent is for players to remain in close proximity to one another (2-3K max).  That said if at any time the players lose icon range on one another the duel ends immediately and will be re-started using the same planes.  This should allow a dueler to simply turn away from a runner to nullify the duel.
- If an uninvited third party interrupts the duel the duel is immediately ended and will be re-started using the same plane.  The dueling participants may move to another mutually agreed upon set of fields in the DA in this instance.
- Once one player has been shot down and the other recieves a kill message the duel ends.  There is no need to land.
- Both players will film all duels in case of a dispute.
- The losing player will post in this thread after the duel series in the following format:

Plane - Winner
   Plane - Winner
   Plane - Winner (if needed)

The loser posting is a means to verify that the results are uncontested.  If the loser hasn't posted by the deadline then the winner may post the results but they will be deemed contested.
- If a duel series is contested the contesting player must post their films at a public hosting web-site and link them to this thread by the deadline.  It will be preferred if both players do this.
- This information must be posted by no later than 12:00 midnight Central Daylight Time Sunday following the posting of the updated bracket so that I can get the brackets updated and re-posted on Monday.
- If a player does not show within 15 minutes of the arranged time they forfiet the series.  In that case the winner by default must post a screenshot of the DA roster showing that the opponent is a no show no later than 12:00 midnight CDT Sunday following posting of the updated bracket.
- If a duel cannot be arranged between the players or nothing has been posted regarding results in the alloted time one player will be selected by random draw to advance to the next round.
- In the case of contested results both players films will be reviewed by the review committee and a determination will be posted no later than 48 hours after the initial posting deadline.  The review committee may overturn posted results.  If a clean determination of a winner cannot be made a winner will be selected by random draw.  The review committee's determination will be final.  Because this will delay both the winner's and his/her next opponent's ability to arrange their next duel it is in the best interest of everyone that the players reach an agreeable conclusion to their duels on their own.  In any case, then next duels deadlines WILL NOT be delayed.

===========LADDER==============

There was also a ladder-style setup that was more on-going and dynamic, but the tourney-style bracket was fun, too.  The rules might be lost in the squad forums (Dogfighter Club) but here's what I had saved.

Dueling Ladder General Rules: Season 1, Oct 2011 - March 2012

1. May challenge up to 3 spots above on the ladder.
2. May issue challenges up to 3 times per week, no repeat challenges.
3. Challenges shall be posted in the Ladder Thread, but PM's are encouraged.
4. Challenges may not be declined. A mutually agreeable time must be agreed upon and occur within a one week time span from the issuance of the challenge. Failure to complete a challenge will result in an automatic loss for the Challengee.
5. Results must be posted in the Ladder Thread by the loser, as simple as "I lost" or a complete writeup... have fun with it.
6. Record film from takeoff until 5 seconds past the kill message.  Victor must be in controlled flight for these 5 seconds, at which point they must auger, ditch or bail.
7. The winner of the challenge will retain the higher ranked rung, loser will retain lower rung.
8. At least one challenge per month must be issued or a player will be considered inactive. Inactive players will drop three rungs per month per ADS*
   a. If you have fought a Challenge, you do not need to initiate a Challenge for purposes of ADS.
9. Initial rankings will be based on random draw. New players joining after this draw will be placed at the bottom of the ladder.
10. The top spot may challenge anyone else on the ladder and is not limited by the 3 slot rule. If they lose they switch rungs with the winner.
11. A Ladder software program will be utilized to test it's feasibility. For now it will be handled manually.
   a. Wins and loses will be displayed by date/time of duel.
   b. A ranking system based off  wins and loses will be given.

Dueling Ladder Rules of Engagement

1. All duels will occur in the DA in the low, mid or high alt field areas.
2. Number of fights is determined by the rung of the challenger
  a.  Ranked 20+  will be best of 3.
  b.  Ranked 6 - 19 will be best of 5.
  c.  Ranked 1 - 5 will be best of 7.
3. The Challenger has choice of the first plane, loser subsequently.
   a. Only fighters may be chosen.
   b. Fuel will be 25% - if both run out of fuel, the duel will be re-done.
   c. Ammo loadout is optional unless mutually agreed upon. No restrictions on emptying ammo.
4. Challenger will have initial choice of fields to use, then loser subsequently.   
   a. There will be a +3k above chosen field altitude, pre-icon alt-cap. For example if the fields are 2k, the alt-cap is 5k.
   b. Neither may exceed this alt-cap until icon is acquired, at which point pilots may begin maneuvering and anything goes.
5. HO's are not expressly forbidden, but excessive use may result in ejection from the ladder. Front Quarter shots are what they are, deal with it.****
6. Neither may extend beyond 2.5k icon range from their opponent. Doing so results in an automatic loss.
7. Collisions at initial merge result in a draw and shall be re-fought. Collisions after the initial merge shall stand, unless both parties agree to a do-over.
8.  Disconnects will be considered a random mechanical failure and result in the loss of that fight.
9. F3 mode... don't even - auto ejection from ladder.

Dueling Ladder TOP DOGs (Rungs 1 - 3)  Rules

1. First player to win 3 consecutive matches moves to Rung #3
2. First player to win 4 consecutive matches moves to Rung #2
3. First player to win 5 consecutive matches moves to TOP DOG, Rung #1
4. This gives all players a chance at the start of the season an opportunity to obtain these positions. Once the TOP DOG rungs have been filled, all players must win their way up the ladder in typical challenge fashion.

* Automatic Degradation System: All Ladder Duelers must Duel at least once per month in order to maintain their place. For every month they do not Duel, they will move down 3 rungs. Example: If the order of the Duelers is INK,Prono,Irishone,Zoney,Debrody.... and INK and Irishone do not duel in that month, the new order would be Prono,  Zoney, INk, Debrody, Irishone,

****  More on the "HO" shot......this Ladder is for those of us that enjoy a fight, for those of us who want to get better at ACM, to be able to fight those that you may not get a chance to in the arenas without being horded.....so if we as a Dueling community feel someone is not here for the right reasons. i.e.,  a good fight.....and they choose to just HO every fight without any ACM....an ejection thread will be started we will try to encourage this individual to change his ways if they still refuse and just HO every fight they will be ejected from the Ladder. Again, the HO shot is just a coin toss.....it has NO PLACE in a dueling Ladder where good fights are expected.

These rules were by adapted by INK  from the DFC dueling rules and  edited by Shane for clarity.

Surrounded by suck and underwhelmed with mediocrity.
I'm always right, it just takes some poepl longer to come to that realization than others.
I'm not perfect, but I am closer to it than you are.
"...vox populi, vox dei..."  ~Alcuin ca. 798
Truth doesn't need exaggeration.

Offline Banshee7

• Platinum Member
« Reply #14 on: September 12, 2024, 10:29:53 AM »
I don't expect to advance very far, but I might could try  :joystick:
Tours 86 - 296