Author Topic: Not a wishlist request, this is a plea  (Read 1295 times)

Offline DmonSlyr

• Platinum Member
Re: Not a wishlist request, this is a plea
« Reply #15 on: October 19, 2024, 11:31:44 AM »
The only map that needs to go is Buzzsaw.

The only people that complain about maps are the A2A crowd.

Just let it go.

And the A2A crowd is what makes the #s. A bunch of blinking bases doesn't mean a whole lot. People need to see dars and their friendlies fighting or they aren't gonna roll generally. Small tiny dars scattered all over the place doesn't represent much action.
The Damned(est. 1988)
-=Army of Muppets=-
2014 & 2018 KoTH ToC Champion

Offline mERv

• Silver Member
« Reply #16 on: October 19, 2024, 11:54:55 AM »
The only map that needs to go is Buzzsaw.

The only people that complain about maps are the A2A crowd.

Just let it go.
nah cant let this one go :aok :cheers:

Dadtallica is also counted for a vote against maps! A minimum of 50 votes required for map removal over a 30 day period with 1 vote per player per map with unlimited voting in regards to the number of maps they vote for  :old:
"Its no problem to be the best, but to be so much better than the best is going to bring accusations."Haggarty
"Ever wonder why its always b-17s and B-24s? It allows him an extreme advantage over other players hence his bomber kill count, that and his lazer beam guns"Diaster
"Take your meds" ShadowX

Online The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #17 on: October 19, 2024, 12:32:31 PM »
And the A2A crowd is what makes the #s. A bunch of blinking bases doesn't mean a whole lot. People need to see dars and their friendlies fighting or they aren't gonna roll generally. Small tiny dars scattered all over the place doesn't represent much action.

The only thing you look for is A2A, the MAJORITY of players dont..... especially now.

It has been shown time and time again that the A2A/fighters conflict is not what most want to do. If it was so, MNM would have 50+ players each Monday night instead of the 8-10 they get. No more players want the whole game, and that is what is disappearing.

When AH was new we didnt have a lot of bombers or GVs and things got stale quick. Once they added the "war" aspect to the game that is when the numbers began to climb. The more tools we got to play war the more players we seemed to have. The war generates the "fights" we use to play for.

The war brought out bomber groups, which had interceptors, which lead to fighters for protection. Vehicles trying to take towns brought out dive bombers which brought out the osty's and wirbles which brought out more dive bombers and soon the pickers trying to protect the GVs.

Now the maps are too spread out "play wise", not spacing wise. Base types are in the wrong positions in some of these maps that kill any type of war action. The "pizza" map that bought up this thread has too many GV bases blocking the war from moving on. Not everyone likes to play the GV side of the game and so the war movement stalls when it runs into a line of GV bases. A few of the larger maps that have good play on them dont have this issue. They may be bigger in size, but they play better because they dont stale a fight. Some of these maps get reset in a day. Its not always because the "morning crowd" or what ever rolled the map with ease, its because they have a lot of action going on all the time and the only thing that slows them down is a good defense.

A start might be to look back at how long these maps are up and the 3 longest ones to get reset over the last 5 rotations get pulled out of the rotation. This will cut down the number of maps, and so give us less variety but the majority of us use to be happy playing the same 3 maps over and over back in the day. Would it be so terrible now? Kenai rebuilt the island map and I think it added action to it. He was working on the rebuilding the Baltic map, not sure where that one stands, but maybe instead of coming up with new ideas/layouts for maps it might be easier to rebuild say pizza or buzzsaw to make them play better and give a bit more action to our lower number state.

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #18 on: October 19, 2024, 12:50:43 PM »
Is it as easy as editing a list?

Inquiring minds would like to know..

This isn't a new idea / request

Eagler
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | 16GB GIGABYTE RTX 4070 Ti Super | 850 watt ps | pimax Crystal Light | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder

Offline Animl-AW

• Gold Member
      • Aces High Tech Hangar
« Reply #19 on: October 19, 2024, 12:53:32 PM »
It was disappointing to see a gamey map show up on weekend night when numbers are highest. Some are deflating interest in prime times. I think these round maps were made as a joke hats no longer going over well.
Some started before I left, didn’t them then, don’t like em now. They just weren’t made in a serious manner.

One of the makers now calls the sim gamey and dud s lot to demean it since I’ve been back, caused s lot of number killing drama threads. They are not serious maps.

A mockery of realism.

I know a lot of work go into these. I don’t mean to insult.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2024, 12:56:09 PM by Animl-AW »

Offline popeye

• Gold Member
« Reply #20 on: October 19, 2024, 02:07:15 PM »

It has been shown time and time again that the A2A/fighters conflict is not what most want to do. If it was so, MNM would have 50+ players each Monday night instead of the 8-10 they get.

With all the <cough> special conditions -- fog, sky scrapers, dar settings, 4k ceiling, aircraft choice restrictions -- I'm not sure MNM is a good indicator of A2A popularity.   :D
KONG

Where is Major Kong?!?

Offline Animl-AW

• Gold Member
      • Aces High Tech Hangar
« Reply #21 on: October 19, 2024, 02:31:08 PM »
I dunno, seems maps it not the biggest numbers issue. What has gone on the last yr when our effort got us to 160-200 was wiped. DCS sales in every possible thread, using me to cause extended drama threads while most sat on their hands and just watched, until recently, the Skyyr nightmare.

I put a lot of effort yo get that 160-200, which former players mocked and said how stupid the effort was.

So I quit after MotA, unfortunately as the former play doomsayers wanted.

Seems, no one wants to put in effort, nor support those that do, they just want to complain about dropping numbers we had momentum in restoring.

Yes some old maps are an issue, but not the issue.

If I’m just going to be tarred and feathered for trying with almost no backing, why bother?

Not sniveling, just pointing out a few realities AS I SEE THEM.

Do something besides complain.

No longer the one man band.
:)

Advertising never ends just because ya saw increase, its gotta be nonstop.

Right now, you’re back to the same exact numbers as when I returned. Some think I was too harsh on cleaning up 200 and bbs, and your “friends” who were ruining your game. So, I let you do it your own way, which is next to nothing. Animl is such a horrible person. <shrug>
;
« Last Edit: October 19, 2024, 03:25:53 PM by Animl-AW »

Offline DmonSlyr

• Platinum Member
« Reply #22 on: October 19, 2024, 03:53:57 PM »
With all the <cough> special conditions -- fog, sky scrapers, dar settings, 4k ceiling, aircraft choice restrictions -- I'm not sure MNM is a good indicator of A2A popularity.   :D

It's fun, but hard for many to make it on a Monday night. Wish we could do a weekend one too.

I'd say FSO is a better indicator that A2A is very much alive. A2A with a purpose. Problem is that the MA has periods where there is no team coordination at all. On large maps that's even more difficult to achieve. For me, and I'm sure others. If there is no battle, it makes it tough to want to spend the time to roll and fly around waiting/searching for something to appear. If one side isn't defending a hoard, or there are no friendlies around, than being ganged is tough and gets old. I've noticed a lot of 2 sides vs one as well. Thats getting kind of old. There is no incentive to fight on the other side and start a battle over there really. Smaller maps make it a little easier to stop the 2 sides vs 1 gang that's been happening.
The Damned(est. 1988)
-=Army of Muppets=-
2014 & 2018 KoTH ToC Champion

Online JimmyD3

• Gold Member
« Reply #23 on: October 19, 2024, 04:10:42 PM »
Animl,no disrespect intended,  you never were a "one man band". There are any numbers of us trying to;
1. Keep the game going
2. Trying to implement improvements.
3. Map making, you need to know that to create a new map takes several months of dedicated time and effort. Kong has created several superb maps, and I have a few as well
4. Game glitch issues, we all need to be sending film to Hitech on ammo issues, any illogical anomaly on gunnery.
5. Welcoming and helping new players
6. The "skinners" generate new skins almost every month
7. Special Events Arenas, FSO typically 3 times a month, Monday Night Madness every Monday, Molsman is looking at bring back the weekly tank battles, The Master of the Air event last spring and your support of it.

Don't stop the effort, while we did loose ground while YKW was here, we can gain it back. The detractors will always be there, it is a fact of life. Don't let them win, keep up the effort. Your efforts and those of others are noticed and appreciated.  :salute
Kenai77
CO Sic Puppies MWK
USAF 1971-76

Offline Spikes

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
    • Twitch: Twitch Feed
« Reply #24 on: October 19, 2024, 06:59:23 PM »
I dunno, seems maps it not the biggest numbers issue. What has gone on the last yr when our effort got us to 160-200 was wiped. DCS sales in every possible thread,
Numbers always ebb and flow. There is no evidence to suggest some people talking about DCS are actively pulling a substantial number of people away from this game. Also, it's completely fine and normal to play multiple games. I could not imagine playing AH 8 hours a day anymore like I used to when I had less responsibilities.
i7-12700k | Gigabyte Z690 GAMING X | 64GB G.Skill DDR4 | EVGA 1080ti FTW3 | H150i Capellix

FlyKommando.com

Offline Dadtallica

• Silver Member
« Reply #25 on: October 19, 2024, 09:50:07 PM »
Sorry to everyone… I spoke Buzzsaw into existence. I will do better.

What was the map recently that had a 3.5k base with a dotted puffy cloud layer at ground level. The base was nestled in a sort of bowl shaped valley so it was extra cool.
Back in 2022 after a loooooong break from 2010. Old name Ratpack, same for the BBS.

Squad I did the most tours with were the Excaliburs then The 172nd Rabid Dogs. Still trying to talk Illigaf, Coola, Oldman22, and Joecrow into coming back instead of being boring old farts!

Offline icepac

• Platinum Member
« Reply #26 on: October 20, 2024, 04:29:21 AM »
Buzzsaw was great until you couldn’t get CV to go anywhere useful.

Offline Oldman731

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #27 on: October 20, 2024, 08:08:51 AM »
Sorry to everyone… I spoke Buzzsaw into existence. I will do better.

Thank you!  Had no trouble finding good fights on Buzzsaw last night.

- oldman

Offline Dadtallica

• Silver Member
« Reply #28 on: October 20, 2024, 08:49:25 AM »
I kind of did. Wasn’t much but boring fur balls.

Only about 65 players at 10PM on a Saturday night.

I think buzzsaw has spoken.
Back in 2022 after a loooooong break from 2010. Old name Ratpack, same for the BBS.

Squad I did the most tours with were the Excaliburs then The 172nd Rabid Dogs. Still trying to talk Illigaf, Coola, Oldman22, and Joecrow into coming back instead of being boring old farts!

Online The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #29 on: October 20, 2024, 09:44:32 AM »
I kind of did. Wasn’t much but boring fur balls.

Only about 65 players at 10PM on a Saturday night.

I think buzzsaw has spoken.

I wouldnt even call those furballs. There was 6-10 Rooks flying over V6 at 15-20k, and as soon as they lost their alt advantage they would run away. I have a film a 5 of them running from me, thats not a furball.

There was some base grabs, Bish grabbed a couple early, but the Knights were on a roll later in the night. The biggest issue is the numbers. Many players log in, see that map, and log out.