Author Topic: Arena map available + Q for the HTC crew + Replies  (Read 696 times)

Offline -raxx-

• Copper Member
Arena map available + Q for the HTC crew + Replies
« on: April 15, 2000, 11:18:00 PM »
Dudes,

Day 4 and the arena map is partly complete.  It has the airfields and their altitudes.  The vehicle bases, (without altitudes), and HQ's are marked.  I'm still compiling the locations and building the maps of the factories and cities.  In the meantime getting the arena map out is my priority and the strategic targets set for later in the week.

Here's the list of maps so far.
Small field map
Medium field map
Large field map
Arena field map
Vehicle base map

My Question for the HTC crew, (coz I dunno who to ask specifically).  Is it possible to get an image, (jpg, gif, bmp?), of the arena map without gridlines, fields or HQ's marked on it?  The reason is that I'm trying to make a topographic map of the arena.  I can create a height field of the arena based on the colours on the map with the tools I'm using, (MS Paint to edit BMP files, Paintshop Pro to create Targa files for POV-Ray and POV-Ray for generating the height fields).

The problem I struck is here, (topotest.jpg), in that the grid lines and field locations are interpreted as chasms or mountains by POV Ray, (Height fields interpret a greyscale image and convert the brightness of a pixel to a spot height).  I figured that asking you for a simple "ground only" map would make things go a bit faster.  Otherwise I'll have to fly a bit less, (oh no!), and get out the MSPaint pencil and start editing pixel by pixel.  I converted my Arena field map using the same principle to make this topoarena.jpg to help people visualise what it is I mean by height fields.

In reply to the many posts thanking me for creating these maps all I can say is that it had to be done and that your comments were very much appreciated.  I understood from Glars, (of Glarsmaps fame and an ex-squaddie in Warbirds), that he was focusing on Warbirds for the meantime.  I guess that left me to volunteer, (oops I violated the first thing I learned in the Army, "Never Volunteer" =).

Heater: Thanx for the pic I'll add it to the list of locations I'm building.
Fatty: The really funny part is I don't drink alchohol, (darn!  Just lost another excuse for my bad flying =).  You can have the beers funked is going to buy me.
Hangtime: You know I'm going to use the "Get out of bishland free" card at least once =P
CavemanJ: The Spawn points will be a later addition but since the fly button now has cardinal points on it that may not be necessary.  Great suggestion though!

Anyways,  I'll Spotcha in the Air,

raxx

[This message has been edited by -raxx- (edited 04-15-2000).]

Offline glars

• Copper Member
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2000, 11:57:00 PM »

I understood from Glars that he was focusing on Warbirds for the meantime.

Check 6!

Just cos I'm not flying online doesn't mean I can't have my fun  

Oh and BTW our field altitudes may have agreed before but when HTC did the patch they changed some airfield altitudes by the look of it. Get out the digital Tippex  

------------------
Glars
Glarsmaps
"There are always two" - Yoda

Offline -raxx-

• Copper Member
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2000, 12:39:00 AM »
G,

Fixed and already on the web site.  Thanx fer pointing ut the change in elevations.  How far along are you on your maps?

raxx

Offline glars

• Copper Member
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2000, 07:16:00 PM »
Rx dude

Check your mail - I've sent you the trade-only early release.

Should speed things up for ya.

We'll let the other bastiges wait  

------------------
Glars
Glarsmaps

Offline Pyro

• Administrator
  • Administrator
      • http://www.hitechcreations.com
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2000, 08:17:00 AM »
I think SF can provide one for you.

------------------
Doug "Pyro" Balmos
HiTech Creations

Perfect plans, aren't.

Offline hitech

• Administrator
  • Administrator
      • http://www.hitechcreations.com
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2000, 08:49:00 AM »
raxx we can also send you our elevation file if your program can import it, its a 1024x1024 matrix of elevations in 16 bit format.

HiTech

eskimo

« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2000, 05:04:00 PM »
Great work, and thanks!
I don't see anything on the map besides the bases and HQ, however.  I personally could not find the two northern cities.  The southern city is west of V-61.  I am not sure what the other compounds are; ammo and fuel factories I asume?

eskimo

Offline -raxx-

• Copper Member
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2000, 05:50:00 PM »
HT, Pyro,

Thanx for the replies.  The elevations file would be a great, (a graphic of the terrain in jpg, gif or bmp format would be even better but I can definetly use the elevations file).  The reason I asked for a graphic is that the tools I've got available to me are all graphic based.  It's been a few years, (cough 7 years), but I can probably write a program to convert anything you send me.  I may even use Excel to create the initial 3d images.  Pyro, funny .sig BTW. "Perfect plans aren't" =)  Took me a few minutes to recover my composure.

If you would send the file to me here
 a.stone@auckland.ac.nz  I'd really appreciate it.  A quick question or 5.  What do the data points actually represent? Are the elevations in the file the corners of a square of terrain or are they the centre of that terrain square?  Is there a sea level, (ie -1 ft or 0 on the data point)?

Eskimo:  Glars and I conversed, (via email), yesterday and his maps are a lot nearer completion than mine, (and damn fine work as usual too), but we are checking some inconsitencies between his maps and mine, (I've got a fuel and ammo bunker swapped around on the medium field I think).  The main problem is that with Patch 2 being released some of the altitudes have changed so we have to go to each field and recheck all our data.  To prevent us both doing the same job I'll leave my maps as they are and concentrate on the Topographic map, (which is what I really wanted to get my head into).  Glars is going to finish of and release his maps soonish, (It may take a while for us both to recheck the fields).

Two things I have learned from this exercise so far.  Nothing is as easy as it looks.  Everything takes longer than you expect.  

Spotcha in the Air,

raxx

Offline glars

• Copper Member
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2000, 07:20:00 PM »
HT I wasn't going to do a topo map because I couldn't see how I could do it with just the arena map and don't have the knowhow to hack your files  

But those other ones look more promising - can you fire whatever you've got down the line to me as well pretty please?

------------------
Glars
Glarsmaps

Offline Oosik

• Zinc Member
« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2000, 08:47:00 PM »
HiTech - I Should be able to use your elevation file with the different types of software that I have avalable, I would greatly appreciate it if I could have it e-mailed to me.

Please, Please, Pretty Please

mjhall@gci.net

funked

« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2000, 10:04:00 PM »
You guys rule.  

-towd_

« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2000, 12:26:00 AM »
ditto

Offline Pongo

• Platinum Member
« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2000, 12:46:00 AM »
Thanks all you cartographers..
Glars..I really enjoyed your maps in beta...thanks alot.

------------------
Pongo
The Wrecking Crew

Offline Ping

• Silver Member
« Reply #13 on: April 18, 2000, 03:41:00 AM »
Your work is very much appreciated guys  
I/JG2 Enemy Coast Ahead

Offline Oosik

• Zinc Member
« Reply #14 on: April 20, 2000, 08:06:00 PM »
Still looking for an elevation file (or is it like the B29 - coming to a theater near your in the future)?