Author Topic: Mass Rook Defections  (Read 968 times)

Offline Waxer

• Zinc Member
Mass Rook Defections
« Reply #15 on: April 16, 2000, 04:47:00 PM »
I, myself, found the new, thigh-high leather boots issued to me (not to mention the spurs and whip) sleekly ... fetching!

Waxer
-----
The Wrecking Crew

But the sheep in Knightland are a little too...docile...if you get my drift. Brrrrr!

Offline bloom25

• Silver Member
Mass Rook Defections
« Reply #16 on: April 16, 2000, 05:47:00 PM »
So far in 1.02 every time I've logged on there is always a big 3-sided battle going on for base 1.  Since it is controlled by rooks (Why? Will it change hands after a reset?) this makes it look like bish and knight are both fighting rooks.  The truth is all 3 sides are fighting for 1 and the fields adjacent to it.  We knights also try very hard to control the base closest to the hill with the beer and pizza on top of it.    Judging by the stats and my own experiences, I'd say that the bish and knights often shoot at each other while fighting for rooks #1 base.

I think if base 1 rotated ownership after a reset, then whatever country happened to own it would be attacked there by the other 2 sides.  A 10k advantage almost guarantees a victory by providing a huge altitude advantage.  This is probably the reason for the slight Rook advantage in K/D against the other 2 countries.  Having an alt advantage and shooting at bombers can only help one's k/d.    Here's my own k/d stats versus each country as of now: bloom25 has 34 kills and has been killed 16 times against the Rooks. and for bish bloom25 has 20 kills and has been killed 22 times against the Bishops.  Looks to me to be pretty even considering that I've primarilly been fighting near base 1.  (Also looks like I need to find a couple of bish to shoot down to avenge my 2 more losses vs kills to them.   )

------------------
bloom25
THUNDERBIRDS

Offline CavemanJ

• Silver Member
Mass Rook Defections
« Reply #17 on: April 16, 2000, 07:59:00 PM »
last night when TWC changed to the Knights there wasn't a single solitary marker in the southwest corner of the map.  I'm pretty sure there were bishops fighting knights and vice-versa, however; they were doing so over our territory and racing each other to capture our fields.  It's been this way since the release of 1.02, with only 2 (3 I'm told, but was present for 2) breaks for the rooks digging into bishland (only to promptly loose it a few hours later).

As far as rooks having more engagements than either bish or nit that's easy.  We're fighting BOTH countries simultaneously. Look at the stats posted by snefens.  58.8% of bish engagements were with rooks.  59.3% of knit engagements were on rooks.  Rooks have engaged both bish and knit almost 50/50 (49.5/50.5).  Real easy for us to have more engagment when we're defending one field against both bish and knits.

Alot of people think I'm just a whiner about the gangbang.  If you think that, you are one of those propagating the gangbang.  Just watch the map.  Most nights the southwestern area is deserted.  Sometimes there are 1 or 2 icons in that area.  Then there are the times that both the bish and knits are after field A1 at the same time.  This leads to alot of bish-knit engagements too.

::shrug::

Offline Swager

• Silver Member
Mass Rook Defections
« Reply #18 on: April 16, 2000, 08:38:00 PM »
Knights?  Bishops? Rooks?  

Who gives a rats ass????

Ya fight your enemy, it is a simple as that!

If that is not simple to ya, then you got more problems than trying to figure out who to fly for.    

Remember if ya shoot down someone a few times one night and then expect that particular pilot to protect you the next, ya might not get the urgency you think you expect. I would always attempt to help a fellow countryman out, but with some ya just don't know.

The arena here switches around so much as who has the advantage or disadvantage it should not be the determinate factor on why a individual would change countires.

I fly Knights during good times and bad, regardless.  I would only change if my squadron did.  If they changed to bishops I might decline, due to my feeling toward the  bishop country.

Just my feeling, not to be shared by all!

Have a nice day!

PS  Jagdnine!  Nice Signature Photo!!!

------------------
Swager
II/JG2~Richthofen~
"Damn.....I can't believe I missed that shot!!!"

JG2 "Richthofen"

[This message has been edited by Swager (edited 04-16-2000).]
Rock:  Ya see that Ensign, lighting the cigarette?
Powell: Yes Rock.
Rock: Well that's where I got it, he's my son.
Powell: Really Rock, well I'd like to meet him.
Rock:  No ya wouldn't.

Offline Fatty

• Gold Member
      • http://www.fatdrunkbastards.com
Mass Rook Defections
« Reply #19 on: April 16, 2000, 08:44:00 PM »
All other things being equal I like to attack the one that's going to whine about it the loudest.  We used to hit the knights a lot, but they never complained, just fought back.  More recently we've discovered that the rooks squeal very nicely when poked, followed by innumerable conspiracy theories.

This makes for not only the enjoyment of the Aces High model, but also the greatly amusing channel 1 protests.

------------------
Fatty
FAT DRUNK BASTARDS

Sorrow[S=A]

Mass Rook Defections
« Reply #20 on: April 16, 2000, 11:41:00 PM »
OMG fatty- I almost peed my pants reading that <snicker>

Offline Pongo

• Platinum Member
Mass Rook Defections
« Reply #21 on: April 17, 2000, 12:06:00 AM »
Too true fatty..unfortunatly...I guess that if you gangbang them it really makes em whine..

------------------
Pongo
The Wrecking Crew

Stupendous~Man

Mass Rook Defections
« Reply #22 on: April 17, 2000, 07:34:00 AM »
"Mass Rook Defections "

Is that what explains the Big pile of sh*** that stands in the middle of the new map ?

------------------
I am the STUPENDOUS MAN !
Some call me Misterious X  !

Offline Westy

• Gold Member
Mass Rook Defections
« Reply #23 on: April 17, 2000, 08:36:00 AM »

I think that one major factor has been missed here.

Didn't anyone else notice that the Knight's for som cod forsaken reason DO NOT fight other Knights?  Something seriously wrong with those 'poepl' !

If you look at the Rooks you'll see fratricide is right up there!  Hoo yuh!   Sixteen percent!

The Biscuits have a dismal one percent but even thats better than the NONE percent of the Kuh,,,niggits!

-Westy

Offline Ripsnort

• Radioactive Member
Mass Rook Defections
« Reply #24 on: April 17, 2000, 08:49:00 AM »
I agree with what Swager posted.  I don't attack  a country for the content of what one does to another, I simply consider Rooks and Bish (I'm Knight) an "Axis", therefore, I attack whichever flank seems to be the weakest.  I often change fields, and plane types, and vehicle types 2-4 times in a 2 hour session.  Unfortunatly, as of late, it seems to be in a defensive mode, but alas, that is part  of WAR!

------------------
Ripsnort(-rip1-)
I/JG2~Richthofen~
JG2 Communications Officer
Aces High Training Corps
JG2 "Richthofen"

Turning Spitfires into Bud Lite cans since 1992

[This message has been edited by Ripsnort (edited 04-17-2000).]

Offline Trell

• Nickel Member
Mass Rook Defections
« Reply #25 on: April 17, 2000, 09:13:00 AM »
well i guess i can say that i attack the rooks more. i dont know about the rest is the bish.  but when people start yelling. i will do what is bothering them the most.
it does not matter if the person complaining is on my team or not.  when i hear one of my own team mates yelling at everyone else because we are defending a base that he has decided should not be defended or not attacking the field he decides.i will often go the field that he tells us not to defend.
i do the same with the people on chanel one.  depending who is bothering me the most is the one i will arttack. we allways have a two sided war so i can find a fight against eather side

Trell

Offline sourkraut

• Copper Member
      • http://www.riverrunne.com
Mass Rook Defections
« Reply #26 on: April 17, 2000, 11:21:00 AM »
This gang banging is really about A1. Of course everyone wants that field. The advantage of that field is ridiculous and counterproductive to game play. Hopefully HTC will fix this with the next release.

Sour

------------------
Sourkraut
JG-2 Richthofen

"Hey - someone has to be the target...."

Offline Kieren

• Zinc Member
Mass Rook Defections
« Reply #27 on: April 17, 2000, 12:02:00 PM »
Even if this was about the Knights (where I usually fly) I would have to laugh! Too funny!  

Originally posted by Fatty:
All other things being equal I like to attack the one that's going to whine about it the loudest.  We used to hit the knights a lot, but they never complained, just fought back.  More recently we've discovered that the rooks squeal very nicely when poked, followed by innumerable conspiracy theories.

This makes for not only the enjoyment of the Aces High model, but also the greatly amusing channel 1 protests.

Offline Minotaur

• Copper Member
Mass Rook Defections
« Reply #28 on: April 17, 2000, 12:32:00 PM »
The funny part IMO comes into play if you are the gangbanger or the gangbangee.

Typically the gangbanger thinks it is fun and is funny.  This is because they are winning and not whining.

The gangbangee thinks that it is not so fun and it gets old.  This is because they are losing and are whining.

Read the above comments in this thread and pick out who is on the gangbang side and who is on the gangbanged.  It is not so hard.  

I have to agree that wether it is a gangbang, map induced or what ever.  I don't see much activity in the South West portion of the map.  I assumed this to be the Knit Biff border and indicating that they are not fighting each other.  At least not fighting there, as 85% of the activity revolves around the North Eastern portion of the map.  

I noticed this the first day that version 1020 came out and I have noticed it ever since.  I never really understood why, except that possibly because the game can't be won and the gangbang is an attempt to do so by attacking the weakest opponent.  The mind set becomes, hacking these guys off by porking their area vice winning the war.

I also noticed large raids out of Biffland into Rookland that were basically un-opposed.  Then I read heralds in this BBS of great battle prowness.  That I thought was funny.

<Salute>  

[This message has been edited by Minotaur (edited 04-17-2000).]

Offline Fury

• Copper Member
      • http://n/a
Mass Rook Defections
« Reply #29 on: April 17, 2000, 12:33:00 PM »
I like it when I first sign on and find that Rooks are hopelessly outnumbered (seen it as high as 65-28), hopelessly defensive, and fighting a two-front war.

Two to three hours later, the numbers have turned and now the Rooks hopelessly outnumber the other individual teams (but not the combined amounts).  And then you get to hear all about how the Rooks always outnumber the other teams   (although since I squelch 1 I don't hear that anymore).  I get a big grin out of that.

Fury