Author Topic: Mass Rook Defections  (Read 969 times)

Offline Beegerite

• Copper Member
Mass Rook Defections
« on: April 16, 2000, 01:22:00 AM »
Yo! What happened?  Tonight I came on late and was amazed to find that the Musketeers and Wrecking Crew had gone to the Dark Side.
Needless to say this caused a serious inbalance in the power structure since so many old hands on the Rook side flew in these two squads.  What gives guys?  Taxes too high?  Potato Famine?  Ugly women?  Better looking Nit sheep?  Or, heaven forbid just plain treason, please say it isn't so Benedict.

Beeger
P.S. If you'll come back we'll pay you better and you can have my sheep.

Offline Saintaw

• Platinum Member
      • My blog
Mass Rook Defections
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2000, 03:54:00 AM »
Our sheep wear Tights !  

----------------------
Saw
Saw
Dirty, nasty furriner.

funked

Mass Rook Defections
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2000, 08:43:00 AM »
I believe they were using nit bases to attack bishops and break up the gangbang.

Offline NineZ

• Zinc Member
      • http://www.user.shentel.net/vonz/jagdneun.html
Mass Rook Defections
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2000, 09:09:00 AM »
We made the move to actually help the Rooks, who have been getting hammered on two fronts since the last version.  I think the position of center mass placement and the alt of base one, naturally focuses attention to that area.  

Anyway, no hard feelings to anyone, not the Bishops, Knights, fellow Rooks or game designers.  We will continue to move around in an effort to balance out this three sided war. And if that doesnt work, I would encourage Rooks to migrate accordingly, so we can have a fair playing field.  

Salute to all my fellow gamers,

JagdNine

------------------

[This message has been edited by NineZ (edited 04-16-2000).]

Offline Beegerite

• Copper Member
Mass Rook Defections
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2000, 09:58:00 AM »
You know what Nine? You're right!  Didn't think about that before.  Best part of your post is

"fellow Rooks"

We'll also think about

"I would encourage Rooks to migrate accordingly, so we can have a fair playing field"  

Guess it ain't so, Wheew!

Beeger

Offline LLv34_Snefens

• Nickel Member
      • Lentolaivue 34
Mass Rook Defections
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2000, 10:06:00 AM »
If anyone is interested I did a little checking on scores for Tour 3 (16/4-2000 11:00 EST). They showed that:

41,2% of Bishop's engagements were against Knights (8830/21416).
58,8% of Bishop's engagements were against Rooks (12584/21416).
0,009% of Bishop's engagements were against Bishops   (2/21416).

40,7% of Knight's engagements were against Bishops (8830/21684).
59,3% of Knight's engagements were against Rooks (12854/21684).
0% of Knight's engagements were against Knights (0/21684).

49,5% of Rook's engagements were against Bishops (12584/25442).
50,5% of Rook's engagements were against Knights (12854/25442).
0,016% of Rook's engagements were against Rooks   (4/25442).

I am always Bishop myself.
------------------
Ltn. Snefens
RO, Lentolaivue 34

[This message has been edited by LLv34_Snefens (edited 04-16-2000).]
Snefens, Lentolaivue 34.

"Luck beats skill anytime"

Offline NineZ

• Zinc Member
      • http://www.user.shentel.net/vonz/jagdneun.html
Mass Rook Defections
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2000, 10:12:00 AM »
Thats actually better than I thought it would be.  Thanks for posting info.

Offline popeye

• Gold Member
Mass Rook Defections
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2000, 10:19:00 AM »
What the statistics don't show is that the 40 percent of Knights and Bishops that actually fight each other, are battling over the last Rook field.    

Sorry to lose the Wrecking Crew and Musketeers, but I salute your effort to even the playing field, and improve the game.  Hope you'll be back to Rookland when the tide shifts another way.

popeye
KONG

Where is Major Kong?!?

Offline Downtown

• Zinc Member
      • http://www.tir.com/~lkbrown1
Mass Rook Defections
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2000, 10:56:00 AM »
I am just following the Squadron Commanders Orders, had he chosen Bishop, I would have found a new Rook Squadron, or started my Own.

I would rather be the lone girl in a large frat house, than a bishop!

ROOKS FOREVER! knights only temporary.

------------------
"Downtown" Lincoln Brown.
  lkbrown1@tir.com  
 http://www.tir.com/~lkbrown1
Wrecking Crews "Drag and Die Guy"
Hals und beinbruch!

Offline Beegerite

• Copper Member
Mass Rook Defections
« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2000, 01:43:00 PM »
Verrrry Interesting!  When I posted this thread I didn't even think about using the very complete stats which AH has give us.  So, I first verified these stats and ofcourse they've changed with each added kill so instead I went to tour 2 the last complete tour and found the following bottom line numbers (g'ahead and check my math if you want)
Rooks vs. Knights  40.8% of engagements
                   Kill to Death 1.16
          Bishops  59.7% of engagements
                   Kill to Death 1.02
Knights v. Bishops 49.7% of engagements
                   Kill to Death 0.88
           Rooks   50.3% of engagements
                   Kill to death 0.86
Bishops v. Knights 40.6% of engagements
           Rooks   59.4% of engagements
                   Kill to Death 0.98

Seems to me that Rooks ain't been doing that bad.  True, when you've got a Bish trying to stick his cone head up your six it may seem that the whole damn nation is against you but the stats from an already complete campaing show they can't kill us as much as we can kill them.  They do seem to prefer Rook meat to Knights but that's probably cause we're more tender.  The Knights on the other hand, seem to have been like the Hyenas after the lion picking away at what's left.  The one problem I see with these changes in the balance of power is that now the Rooks are severely weakened by the loss of the vets and those Knight and Bishop vets who had been killing Rooks all along aren't going to take a vacation.  This could conceivably wind up on the History Chanel's Great Military Blunders, LOL.
Y'all Come Back, You Hear!
Beeger

Originally posted by LLv34_Snefens:
If anyone is interested I did a little checking on scores for Tour 3 (16/4-2000 11:00 EST). They showed that:

41,2% of Bishop's engagements were against Knights (8830/21416).
58,8% of Bishop's engagements were against Rooks (12584/21416).
0,009% of Bishop's engagements were against Bishops   (2/21416).

40,7% of Knight's engagements were against Bishops (8830/21684).
59,3% of Knight's engagements were against Rooks (12854/21684).
0% of Knight's engagements were against Knights (0/21684).

49,5% of Rook's engagements were against Bishops (12584/25442).
50,5% of Rook's engagements were against Knights (12854/25442).
0,016% of Rook's engagements were against Rooks   (4/25442).

I am always Bishop myself.

Offline Beegerite

• Copper Member
Mass Rook Defections
« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2000, 02:19:00 PM »
D'town!
I've never laughed so hard at a post  

I would rather be the lone girl in a large frat house, than a bishop!

Your post brings a couple of things to mind; first this game forces choices upon us.  When I first came from a sim that gave us Germans, US, Russian, Brittain and Japan I thought Huh! Rooks, Knights, Bishops what kinda Mickey Mouse crap is that?  Then I began to play and saw the genius of being able to fly planes regardless of origin.  Then I started developing a kind of patriotism and warm feelings for my fellow Rooks.  The Bish and Nits were the enemy. Nameless targets (Another stroke of genius that keeps us from getting personal vs. the enemy.  It's a job, I only kill because you're the enemy) who were trying to conquer my Rook homeland.  As you say, once a Rook always a Rook forever.  We need to work more closely together as we did the other night when we allied 3 squadrons and working cohesively captured base after base.

ROOKS FOREVER! knights only temporary.

Secondly, considering the patriotism I mentioned above, how much support can a Rook Squadron on temp duty expect to get from the died in the wool Nits?  Would seem to me that in a heavy furball you'd better have one of your own m8s covering your six.

C'mon back guys, the motherland needs you.  Don't wait until you find yourself head to head with a brother.  It's only a matter of time  
Beeg

[/B][/QUOTE]

Offline AKDejaVu

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.dbstaines.com
Mass Rook Defections
« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2000, 02:27:00 PM »
Total Bish engagements: 21416
Total Knit engagements: 21684
Total Rook engagements: 25442

The Rooks have engaged 18% more times than the other two squads.  59% is 18% more than 50%.  Wow.. go figure.

Guess you have a tendancy to feel you are being teamed up on when your team is always the biggest.

AKDejaVu

Offline Hangtime

• Plutonium Member
Mass Rook Defections
« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2000, 02:28:00 PM »
LOL.. you guys crack me up.  

Bish Objective: Kill the enemy. Take his fields. Pillage his beer; ravish his sheep. (the women got smart and left a long time ago)

Knit Objective: Kill the enemy. Take his beerhalls. Mess up his fields, and steal the Mustangs. Pillage the sheep; ravish the knockwurst, and organise nuisance HQ raids.

cRook Objective: Kill the enemy. Bemoan the loss of their own fields; swap sides and get in on the knockwurst while squeaking about gang bangs and the indiffrent sheep. Redirect traitorous inquiries from countrymen to HQ as 'play-balance'.

Hang

The price of Freedom is the willingness to do sudden battle, anywhere, any time and with utter recklessness...

...at home, or abroad.

Offline Cobra

• Nickel Member
Mass Rook Defections
« Reply #13 on: April 16, 2000, 02:49:00 PM »
Hehe...All the math being done here reminds of what I think everytime someone in my office tries to bolster their arguement with a blizzard of stats....

"Figures Lie and Liars Figure"

Not sure what all those numbers represent, but I did take screenshots since release of new version of the map during prime-time (8pm to Midnight Eastern) and the pictures do show that there is very little to no activity on the Knit-Bish Frontier.

As for the team numbers...I took snapshots of the roster as well.  I am actually happy to see the Knights come on strong!  Their numbers are now consistently the highest in the arena.

As for switching, might not be bad for more squads to float around a little and fly with some of their usual adversaries (some may like the idea, others may hate it).  I've noticed the respect we have for some of those Knight Squads is actually mutual.  There are some really great squads and sim pilots in this patch of cyber-heaven HTC has created.

Cobra

Offline Pongo

• Platinum Member
Mass Rook Defections
« Reply #14 on: April 16, 2000, 03:42:00 PM »
Was fun last knight...he he..
Noticed as I logged that the bish and rooks where ganging the knights...guess it worked!
I felt quite at home in knight land with the crew and meese with me....See what people mean about field 1...Hint...its not such an advantage defensively as it is offensivly.
Hang...shut up your a goof.Why dont you take that cat of your in the shower with ya for some therapy.

------------------
Pongo
The Wrecking Crew