Author Topic: Word to the wise, please read  (Read 920 times)

Sturm

Word to the wise, please read
« on: April 12, 2001, 05:30:00 PM »
I am sure quite a lot of you are running cable for internet connections.  I just did a week long study on my PC  of possible intrusions.  What I have come up with is quite alarming.  57 intrusions that had the intent of gaining access.  Now I am using Black Ice as a firewall, and I weeded out the usual intrusions from your ISP, but I was able to localize 57 of them as to possibly being harmful.  If you are cable I highly suggest you go out and get some software that prevents intrusions, IE Firewalls.  If you have any questions about there usage I can assist.  

------------------
Sturm6 StaffelKapitän
JV44 Platzschutzstaffel
Airfield Defense Squadron
Campaigning for the rights of the ME-410.

Offline Jekyll

• Zinc Member
      • http://www.bigpond.net.au/phoenix
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2001, 05:35:00 PM »
Good advice Sturm.  I am also using Blackice and since 4 November 2000 I've had a total of 2427 suspicious attacks on my system.

Seems like UDP Port Probes and Sub-Seven Probes are the most popular at the moment.

------------------
'The people in this forum, especially the ones who post a lot, are largely a pretty weird and borderline mentally disabled group. And ****** has managed to distinguish himself even among this "elite" group of fruitcakes.' : Funked

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2001, 05:36:00 PM »
Any "always-on" connection or any connection with a fixed IP address carries that risk.

My DSL is an "always-on" connection, thats why I've had a firewall up from the moment that it was installed.

Good advice Sturm.

------------------
We few, we happy few, we band of brothers;
For he to-day that sheds his blood with me
Shall be my brother

Bring the Spitfire F.MkXIVc to Aces High!!!

Sisu
-Karnak
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-

Offline Staga

• Parolee
  • Platinum Member
      • http://www.nohomersclub.com/
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2001, 05:49:00 PM »

Offline 2Late4U

• Copper Member
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2001, 06:04:00 PM »
While you'd be foolish not to run blackice or zonealarm on DSL or Cable, 99.999999% of all probes are just that, probes looking for a fool with file/printer sharing on...a real annoyance when ya have an internal network in your home and have them activew eeek.

Offline Wlfgng

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.nick-tucker.com
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2001, 09:57:00 AM »
I'm the IT manager for the Town I live in and we get 'attacked' hundreds of times per day.  Typical for a static IP I think.

Protect yourself.

Offline Tac

• Platinum Member
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2001, 02:03:00 PM »
Geez, I guess I win the trophy. Im on Cable since last year and have been using BlackIce (I love it btw) on paranoid setting with only the AH server as a "trusted" address.

6792 attack serious attacks. Someone must like my po... err.. poetry collection.

Offline Argent

• Zinc Member
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2001, 12:02:00 PM »
Dont bind File and Printer Sharing to TCP/IP... kinda not healthy at all.  Use NetBUI to deal with that.

MrSiD

« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2001, 02:17:00 PM »
Take into note that if you play h2h, Aces High gets mistaken for subseven probe  

BlackIce is good, but it leaves your machine visible to the net so you get a huge amount more scans than you would get with a decent firewall. Try a combination of FW with blackice and you'll notice a drastic drop in the attacks..

Offline paintmaw

• Copper Member
« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2001, 02:24:00 PM »
Before i started using Black Ice , someone stole my IP# , I couldn't connect sometimes .

Offline CRASH

• Copper Member
« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2001, 06:49:00 PM »
Do you leave zone alarm on while playing AH?  Does it have any effect?

CRASH

Offline Vulcan

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2001, 08:39:00 PM »
I once terrorized a networking product manager with Sub 7. It was an attempt to get him behind promoting firewalls and IDS solutions.

Nuthing worse than some salamander at the other end of the country opening and closing your cd-rom drive all day ... or swapping your mouse buttons... or disabling the space bar on your keyboard intermittently. The really cool thing is to record from the laptop mic when you do it so you get to hear the swearing  

Offline tofri

• Zinc Member
      • http://www.tofri.de
« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2001, 06:25:00 AM »
I use DSL with Zonealarm and have up to 10 alerts per hour. It doesn't matter if you use  cable, dsl or modem, there are always pings or port requests on your IP.
A firewall is an absolut must nowadays.

CRASH: I play AH with zonealarm, had not noticed any effects on the conectivity, neither on modem nor dsl.
But you must disable the popup on alert window.  

Offline spiffykraits

• Copper Member
      • http://home.clara.net/spiff
« Reply #13 on: September 01, 2003, 11:57:38 AM »
Keep your firewall up when playing is a must, but it is not necessary to have an anti-virus program running at all when playing -it just slows it down without doing anything constructive. :)  You won't get a virus unless you open anything downloaded.

Offline eskimo2

• Platinum Member
      • hallbuzz.com
« Reply #14 on: September 01, 2003, 12:06:20 PM »
Were there such things as virises back when this thread started?

eskimo