Author Topic: Why hasn't this been implemented? It's *DUH* material.  (Read 5165 times)

Offline fscott

• Banned
  • Copper Member
Why hasn't this been implemented? It's *DUH* material.
« on: October 17, 2000, 12:02:00 PM »
HT and crew. How hard would it be to impose airplane rations for each country?  The only arguement that I could see is what planes to ration. I'm sure you could find a way.

For instance, allow only a certain number of each plane for each country based upon their current damage level AND based upon how many others are currently flying a particular aircraft? Of course there would always be a plentiful supply of non-dweeb planes.  But when you finally get dibs on a super-dweeb plane, your gonna take special care of it.

Additionally, you could implemet this as an arena-wide level or on an airstrip by airstrip basis.  Knock out a few hangers and their aircraft number levels go down.  

What does the community think? Wouldn't this heighten the realism of combat?

fscott

Offline Ripsnort

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2000, 12:07:00 PM »
<Rip sits back, cracks a cold one, gets package of weinies out, waits for Udie to show up with tequila>

funked

« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2000, 12:14:00 PM »
Which planes shall be rationed and which shall not?  A6M5 and 202 are the only ones that people have not (yet) whined about being overmodeled.

[This message has been edited by funked (edited 10-17-2000).]

Offline fscott

• Banned
  • Copper Member
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2000, 12:17:00 PM »
Let me add this which helps to reason why I would favour airplane rations.

You jump in your plane, head out to the big furball just 20 clicks away, get shot down, go back to the same airstrip, get your favourite dweebmobile, fly out to 20 clicks, shoot someone down, they go back to the same airstrip, get their fav dweebmobile, meet you at 20 clicks and the whol thing goes round and round and round and round...only on a much alrger scale. Instead of just you flying out, it's 10 others meeting 10 bandits, and its the same level of non-strategy.  It continues until someone finally makes it through the mess with a Lanc and demolishes your airstrip.  It's the same old non-strategy.

To implement airplane rations means now wn you get hot down and go back to your favourite airstrip, your dweebmobile may not be available, perhaps you will now have to fly the zeke or some other lower class fighter. So what does this do? This forces you to fly from a different airstrip if you want your fav dweebmobile.  Perhaps forcing you to flank the enemy.  I think it would add a new level of realism IMHO.

fscott  

Offline RAM

• Parolee
  • Zinc Member
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2000, 12:18:00 PM »
C'mon funked...yah already know at least two planes to ration  

(and if you add Sissyfires, will be three)

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2000, 12:26:00 PM »
And as soon as I can't fly any Spitfire, I cancel my account.

Some of us fly them because we actually like the aircraft for itself.

You'll find guys who feel this way about every airplane.

Sisu
-Karnak

[This message has been edited by Karnak (edited 10-17-2000).]
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-

Bullwinkle

« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2000, 12:28:00 PM »
I like the idea. Imagine landing after successful mission. Check the airplane roster and see what's available, decide that you would like to keep your current ride, and without exiting your plane, resupply and take-off again.  That is a neat idea.  They do it with fuel and they do it with ammo, so why would planes be any different???

"BullWinkle"

"Don't touch my BullWinkle."

Offline Cobra

• Nickel Member
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2000, 12:28:00 PM »
Actually, you can impose rationing already.

The strat is there today:

Bomb the city.

Bomb the refineries.

Bomb the field fuel dumps.

Now, the planes are limited to 25% fuel.  Anything other than a mustang will not be able to fly far from the base that was just bombed.

For Buffs:

Bomb city.

Bomb Ammo Factories

Bomb local field ammo dumps.

No Buffs from that field.

For troops.

Bomb City

Bomb Training Complex.

Bomb local field barracks.

No goons for 2.5 hours

The strat is there...true, its not easy to obtain these results, but hitting strategic targets is supposed to take time for the effects to take place.

Cobra

Offline Westy

• Gold Member
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2000, 12:33:00 PM »
 Rationing?? In the main arena? Good Cod did you really think about that one? Scenarios yes.  Regular free-for-all, main arena? No effing way.
 Best example: Why should I, when I get to fly an hour or so only every other night, not be able to choose a P-47-D-R30 just because some all thumbs newby trashed them all day long trying to learn to fly online versus off? and why should he learn to fly offline when it's better with a flat rate system to learn online?
 Rationing? You gotta be kidding.

-Westy

Bullwinkle

« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2000, 12:35:00 PM »
I think your missing the poster's original point. When you bomb an airstrip and damage a few hangers, how is it that only the fuel and the ammo gets hit but the same planes are still available?  Wouldn't it be eralistic to think that when you hit hangers, PLANES are being hit too?

BullWinkle

"Don't touch my BullWinkle."

funked

« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2000, 12:36:00 PM »
OK RAM Let me see:

Fw 190A-5
Me 109G-10

C-47?  

Bullwinkle, if you kill the hangars, they don't get no planes!!!

[This message has been edited by funked (edited 10-17-2000).]

Offline MrLars

• Silver Member
« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2000, 12:40:00 PM »
What Westy said...

Dumb and unfair idea for the MA. Scenarios are the place to limit numbers of planes.

Lars

Offline Udie

• Gold Member
« Reply #12 on: October 17, 2000, 12:41:00 PM »

Originally posted by Ripsnort:
<Rip sits back, cracks a cold one, gets package of weinies out, waits for Udie to show up with tequila>

Udie staggers in mumbling incoherently...

"Wehre the hell iss me tikkila, who drunk it?! I think that tree did and now Im gonna kick it's arsse"

Offline fscott

• Banned
  • Copper Member
« Reply #13 on: October 17, 2000, 12:45:00 PM »
Well, that's what a forum is for, to exchange ideas. However, that's why I propose an airstrip by airstrip basis for the rations.  Your favourite dweebmobile will be there, you may have to fly from a different airstrip to fly it.  Don't be so extremist. I am not suggesting that we ration the availability of a plane throughout the entire arena. So what if you have to fly a few extra clicks to find a battle.  As of right now, AH is beginning to take on the same non-stategic feel that WB combat arena does.  The same pilots get shot down and get back to their same airstrip and get back into their same dweebmobile. It gets old. Perhaps some like to do that, but I am not one of them.

fscott

Offline Westy

• Gold Member
« Reply #14 on: October 17, 2000, 01:03:00 PM »
 So somewhere between full availability of all aircraft if that types hangars are up and no availability if the hangars are down? So lose one of two hangars and now only x number of any one type could fly versus unlimited? That might be a good thing.

-Westy