Author Topic: Why can I not hear.....  (Read 367 times)

G10Whore

Why can I not hear.....
« on: April 15, 2001, 01:54:00 PM »
The tank firing 1 yard away from me or the plane flying next to me when I am outta gas and gliding in.  

Why cant I hear my gunner firing at bandits when im flying a buff?

Why cant i hear the plane diving in on my when im shooting at him with the Ostwind?  Why cant he hear me firing?

In my honest opinion, there are plenty of planes.  Plenty of plane potatos too(such as myself) that instead of asking for every freaking kind of spit, master another one.

If any of you have played Battle of Britain or B-172(if you got it running0, you know how good the sounds can be.  To me tho sound is a very important feature and it seems like AH still suffers from Warbirds lack of sound engine completion.

G10Whore

Why can I not hear.....
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2001, 02:18:00 PM »
Also, being able to hear other planes sounds wuold help when trying to find that buff that just flew into the coulds that is about to bomb your HQ and knock out your radar......

MrSiD

Why can I not hear.....
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2001, 02:46:00 PM »
You may have a point there potato..

Although I'm not spitting on HTC for not giving us this feature already, I think ambient sounds are very important immersion feature.

The first time I really felt like being a part of a movie or real combat was when I played CFS2.. The phase shifting sound effects, ambient engine noise, explosions.. They're a very important part of the experience.

I think that HT could concentrate on this instead of putting in new plane models for the next patch.

Would make me happy at least!  

-Pirado-

Why can I not hear.....
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2001, 03:08:00 PM »
When u r inside your fighter's cokpit with ur helmet n phones u CANT HEAR ANYTHING ELSE THAN JUST YOUR ENGINE SOUND AND GUNS WHEN U FIRE IT.
Its a flight simulatior and not a movie.

I use to fly gliders and i cant hear the tow plane's engine, only the wind. Why should i hear the enemy bomber's engine when flying a 109 with more than 1000HP engine screaming right on front of the cockpit?

This uber sound effects of some others sims are just a joke. Dont expect to see..err.. i mean.. to hear it here.  
Right, HTC?  

-------------
Pirado
9./JG54 "Grünherz"

Messerschimitt Bf109 Forever!

[This message has been edited by -Pirado- (edited 04-15-2001).]

G10Whore

Why can I not hear.....
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2001, 03:52:00 PM »
have you ever heard a b17 flying?

those engines are loud.  sure as hell aint a 182 engine.

also, if I am scouting I am going to cut my engines and if they ever put it in, open the cockpit.

You obviously have never been to an Airshow with B17s or b25s....

MrSiD

Why can I not hear.....
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2001, 05:17:00 PM »
Pirado: I forgot to add 'unrealistic as they may be'

I agree that it's probably not possible to hear much inside the fighter, except maybe the biggest explosions nearby.

However those effects with passing planes did add immersion at least at first. It's a matter of taste I guess. Needless to say CFS2 wasn't playable otherwise.. Drones just won't cut it after being online.

Moose11

Why can I not hear.....
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2001, 05:22:00 PM »
When flying a Cessna during lessons you couldn't hear anything at all besides the engine. Talk between student and instructor was done by a mic and headset.

I've heard a B17 running up close, and I don't think it would overcome the sound of a fighter engine. (not like it was sound-insulated either, because it was a non-essential item I'm sure)

Has anyone here flown a P51 in line with one of those B17s like so many photographs show? I'd be curious to see whether it would be realistic or not. (though true, with engine off you would probably hear more)

AKSeaWulfe

Why can I not hear.....
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2001, 05:55:00 PM »

Originally posted by Moose11:

Has anyone here flown a P51 in line with one of those B17s like so many photographs show? I'd be curious to see whether it would be realistic or not. (though true, with engine off you would probably hear more)

Not really, you can't hear much outside of the wind. Wind may not be loud when you are sitting around on a breezy day, but if you can manage to get a car up to 300+MPH then you could understand.
-SW

Offline StSanta

• Gold Member
Why can I not hear.....
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2001, 03:29:00 AM »
Hm, well, sitting in a Cessna 182 on the ground, slowly taxiing, I couldn't hear the twin engined Nomad some 100 meters in front of us.

Even a small 300 hp engine is LOUD.

------------------
Von Santa
Staffelkapitän 9./JG 54 "Grünherz"
"If you return from a mission with a victory, but without your Rottenflieger, you have lost your battle."
- D. Hrabak, JG 54 "Grünherz"

TheWobble

Why can I not hear.....
« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2001, 03:44:00 AM »
well, if you can piss all over having realistic bomb modeling and insted having the no wind/no drag/hyper accurate JOKE bomb modeling we have now and call it a "gameplay concession" why not have some ambiant sounds?  I know its not truely realistic, but its been proven many times over that true realism will always take a back seat to "gameplay concessions" in AH.

[This message has been edited by TheWobble (edited 04-16-2001).]

Offline paintmaw

• Copper Member
Why can I not hear.....
« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2001, 03:51:00 AM »
OH MY

Offline Dowding

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.psys07629.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/272/index.html
Why can I not hear.....
« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2001, 07:24:00 AM »
If you don't like AH or HTC's game design, why do you still post here Wobble? You've said yourself that you cancelled your account because of irreconsilable differences with HT over bomb modelling.

I'm sure neither the BB nor the game will fall apart in your absence.

Good day!

[This message has been edited by Dowding (edited 04-16-2001).]
War! Never been so much fun. War! Never been so much fun! Go to your brother, Kill him with your gun, Leave him lying in his uniform, Dying in the sun.

Offline Dago

• Parolee
  • Platinum Member
Why can I not hear.....
« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2001, 03:00:00 PM »
I have flown in a B17, its plenty loud.
A fighter would have to be pleny close to be heard.

Personally, I would rather concern myself that the 2 critical resources be used to differant things.  Those resources being:
1) The HTC crews development time
2) My computer resources

Alot of stuff would be higher on my list of wants than those sounds.

Dago
"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, martini in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!"

Offline Mickey1992

• Gold Member
Why can I not hear.....
« Reply #13 on: April 16, 2001, 03:10:00 PM »
HT hinted back in mid-1999 that ambient sounds were something that they wanted to do.  My guess is that the screaming for more planes is louder than the screaming for more sounds.  

G10potato said:
"If any of you have played Battle of Britain" ... "(if you got it running)".

Tell me about it.  BoB is still sitting on my shelf two months after I bought it.  It crashes after every mission.

------------------
Mickey
3./JG2 "BigJoe's Bastards"