Author Topic: The dreaded LA7  (Read 264 times)

Offline Zippatuh

• Silver Member
The dreaded LA7
« on: March 09, 2001, 12:03:00 PM »
I only tried one new one out last night, and to my surprise it wasn’t perked, the LA7.  Also to my surprise not many people where flying it.  The enemy anyway.  Performed like I expected it to and all my “fears” where verified.

After I decided to leave the furball and look for some one on one type stuff I put her to the test.  Climbed like a banshee, fast, and very maneuverable.  I had a poor Zero drop in on me from 5k, 60 degree’s high 6.  The only disadvantage I saw was that I was down to about 5 percent fuel left.  I let him get close, did high Yo-Yo and dropped in behind him to which he started to turn.  Sure, I’ll play along, followed about half way then broke off and started my steep climbs.  Long story short, 3 Immelmans later, dead Zero.  My fuel gave out about 20 seconds after the kill.  Granted this was a Zero and the individual flying did not conserve E very well.  It felt like brushing away a fly with my hand until I could reach my swatter.

I also, with a lot of confidence, decided to take two N1K’s on at co altitude.  Same energy draining tactics used as with the Zero.  Killed one, damaged the other.  I would have had the kill on the second if I had not of ran into it during a “Rope”, severing part of my left wing, to which I limped back home at about 300 mph.  I ran into various other types of aircraft, but these two engagements are the most memorable.

The only drawbacks to this ride are the ammunition load (I’m not the best shot in the world), and fuel capacity.  This was as I remember it in FA, and still is a very deadly machine in AH.  The last and final problem I see with the LA7, is that shooting down JUG’s only gives you about 0.60 perk points  

I am in no way starting it, but I can foresee the future gripes and whines about the CHOG and N1K moving to the LA7.  So, all you die hard Niki and Hog fans, look for the heat to toejamf, LOL.

Zippatuh

Offline Ripsnort

• Radioactive Member
The dreaded LA7
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2001, 12:11:00 PM »
Hehe, thks for the briefing, have only enough time for check out rides in TA152H, Tempest, AR234.

Offline Kieran

• Platinum Member
The dreaded LA7
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2001, 12:15:00 PM »
Take that La7 above 12K. Your climbrate has dropped from 4Kpm to something like 3Kpm- and that is on 25%. Performance is stellar low, but is awful above that.

The jury is still out on it. The sky isn't falling.  

Offline Vermillion

• Platinum Member
The dreaded LA7
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2001, 12:20:00 PM »
Well lets not forget....

poor visibility
low ammo load
mediocre 20mm cannons (no hispano turbolasers   I'm kidding... really I'm kidding)
no drop tanks
very short range
no bombs, rockets, or external stores
above 15k it sucks
poor sustained turn rate

Nope I just don't see many of the Chog/Niki crowd migrating to the La7, it just doesn't fit their style

After the "newness" wears off, you'll see more people flying Doras than you will La7's

------------------
Vermillion
**MOL**, Men of Leisure

[This message has been edited by Vermillion (edited 03-09-2001).]

Offline Zippatuh

• Silver Member
The dreaded LA7
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2001, 12:24:00 PM »
Not saying they'll migrate, saying the whining will  

Offline juzz

• Copper Member
      • http://nope.haha.com
The dreaded LA7
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2001, 12:27:00 PM »
Big honking red nose that says: "Kill ME! - I'm worth more perk points than an La-5FN."

Offline GRUNHERZ

• Plutonium Member
The dreaded LA7
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2001, 01:19:00 PM »
Verm please stop your bull____ about the LA7 its clearly the best plane in AH lo-alt where 95% of figting takes place, you dont have to put on this show anymore its allready unperked. As 4 the cannons the russian ones are wayy better than MG151s and only a bit less than chogs- id say they a bitt better than niki guns.

Offline StSanta

• Gold Member
The dreaded LA7
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2001, 09:07:00 PM »
The LA-7 sure is a potent plane. Me and kirin managed to NOT kill it despite being 2v1. Being as dumb as I am, i then proceeded to drag towards an ENEMY field, with the LA-7 closing very slowly on my D9 on wep.

It can turn, it can climb, it's fast as hell and got good guns.

I ended up dead, LA-7 got d20 my 6 in a scissors and had an easy shot.

Really have to relearn scissoring, D9 handles a bit differently from A5 there.

Nice flying there Smut. guess ya wanted revenge for us killing you and your wingman minutes before?  

------------------
Baron Claus "StSanta" Von Ribbentroppen
9./JG 54 "Grünherz"

"Live to pull, pull to live"

[This message has been edited by StSanta (edited 03-09-2001).]

Offline Thog

• Zinc Member
The dreaded LA7
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2001, 09:24:00 PM »
On the other hand, I've been killing them handily in 1v1 fights while flying a La5. I suspect the La-7 pilots figured "Hell, I got 2 marks on this guy, I win!".

La-7 doesn't manuever with a La-5, and it isn't quite fast enough to ignore it.

Some planes are nasty, but everything can be killed.

And as I keep saying; it's nice to see a VVS plane on par with the Western (or Eastern for that matter) iron.

Thog