Author Topic: TOD Idea  (Read 586 times)

Offline GeeWally

• Zinc Member
TOD Idea
« on: January 21, 2002, 09:39:12 PM »
How about this for a TOD.  The arena is just ocean.  Each side gets a carrier.  Then put the carriers in random places in the arena with no dar.  Each side gets maybe 4 search planes.

So then the TOD starts and each side sends out its search planes to find the other carrier.  When they find it, they can launch the attack planes.  The attack planes can only be TBMs.  The defender planes can be F6s or F4s.  First side to sink the other carrier wins.

The only thing is it might take a long time to find the carriers.   Maybe you guys already did this before.

Offline Nifty

• Platinum Member
TOD Idea
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2002, 08:36:38 AM »
If we ever get some IJN attack planes (kate and val or jill and judy) and a USN dive bomber (Dauntless or Helldiver) this idea would make a great snapshot event, or at least an element of a Pacific TOD.  

As it stands, right now giving both sides Avengers kinda ruins the immersion factor which is a big reason for most of the squads involved in the TOD.

Once the Pac planeset gets fleshed out some, I'm sure this is something we'll be looking to do though.  :)
proud member of the 332nd Flying Mongrels, noses in the wind since 1997.

Offline Ripsnort

• Radioactive Member
TOD Idea
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2002, 08:44:47 AM »
GeeWally, we did something similiar to that awhile back in a Snap Shot event.  It was very successful and fun!  The CM's gave us a 100 sq. mile area in which to do the searching since otherwise you might not ever find each other..even then with 100 sq. miles, it was tough spotting the enemy CV's.  I cannot remember who won it, but it was alot of fun!

We also had a CV vs CV battle where one side was allowed PT boats and TBM's and the japanese were allowed only Zero's.  THAT was a hoot!

Offline GeeWally

• Zinc Member
TOD Idea
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2002, 05:21:02 PM »
Originally posted by Ripsnort
GeeWally, we did something similiar to that awhile back in a Snap Shot event.  It was very successful and fun!  The CM's gave us a 100 sq. mile area in which to do the searching since otherwise you might not ever find each other..even then with 100 sq. miles, it was tough spotting the enemy CV's.  I cannot remember who won it, but it was alot of fun!

We also had a CV vs CV battle where one side was allowed PT boats and TBM's and the japanese were allowed only Zero's.  THAT was a hoot!

I'm sorry I missed that.  I wish I had starting doing this sooner.

GeeWally

Offline daddog

• Aces High CM Staff (Retired)
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://www.332nd.org
TOD Idea
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2002, 06:09:18 PM »
Even with the "thin" Pacific plane set I will plan on another one soon, because it has been a while.  I will focus more on the CV end of it and avoid more of the land bases and targets.   :)  Thanks for the post Gee!
Noses in the wind since 1997
332nd Flying Mongrels
daddog
Knowing for Sure

Offline FDutchmn

• Silver Member
TOD Idea
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2002, 09:02:50 AM »
sounds like coral sea or midway to me...