Author Topic: TOD: Big Show - Frame 1 AARs  (Read 818 times)

Offline ghostdancer

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Platinum Member
TOD: Big Show - Frame 1 AARs
« on: January 26, 2002, 01:07:29 AM »
All I have to say about tonight is wow! Great fighting by both sides. We expected a fight at Calais and we were not disappointed.

Before my squads AAR a brief run down on the Axis strategy.

--

The Nightmares VMF-101 fighter elements, Screaming Blue Messiahs, and LuftJagerKorp were tasked with defending our ammo dump by A19 and coastal guns by A20. They were to stay on the defensive but push out into the channel a bit to watch for low incoming raids.

Meanwhile Special Ops 1 (2 JU88s) were suppose to circle in that area and hopefully be seen by the RAF. Which we hoped would trick the RAF into thinking we were sending our buffs in force after their radar facility. The buffs were not seen.

Special Ops 2 (2 JU88s) took off from A17 and headed east and then North to skirt the fighting in the Calais area and outflank the the RAF. They were to hold over the North Sea until given the go to turn west and dive into england.

The 412th was tasked with defending the LW radar facility at A7. The 13th TAS was attached to them as scouts. They were to find any incoming raids and report them while falling back to the 412th and then both squads were to defend A7.

Special Ops 3 (3 JU88s) was to launch from A1 and conduct a low level torpedo attack on the enemy CV once it was located. The chance of success was rated low. But this was done to make the RAF think we were going after their CV and to pull them away from the west.

Meanwhile the 457th BG Fait Accompli upped from A1 in JU88s .. head west away from the base and then turned north. They were ordered to take their time and get alt. Hopefully the RAF would have been tricked into not looking west which would allow them to skirt around the RAF radar in the west, get over england, and then attack the RAF refinery by A49.

That is the brief outline of the plan.

--

Now for what happened with the Nightmares. The Nightmares upped 22 pilots for the frame. 15 were tasked to be fighters defending the Calais area (A19 and A20) the other 7 were put into the Special Ops JU88s groups (3 torps, 2 bait at Calais, and 2 end run to the east).

The allies struck at the ammo factory near A19 with a large low level Typhoon raid with some Spit IXs providing high cover. As far as we could tell the Screaming Blue Messaihs (5 of them) engaged the Spit IXs (possibly the Typhoons also), 2 survived the engagement.

We dove in and attacked the Typhoons. In the ensuing fight all the Typhoons but 1 were killed and I think 7 Nightmares died. 4 Buildings and some AA were destroyed by the RAF at the ammo dump.

LuftJagerKorps were ordered to stay high in case a high level B26 attack came in. It didn't .. instead a low level large B26 attack hit from the NW and struck at our coastal guns. The LKJ were the first to engage and the surviving 8 Nightmares raced to the scene. The fight was horrendous .. we think we got all of the B26s but we lost 7 Nightmares (only I survived) and I only a few LKJ survived the engagement.

Meanwhile to the west our low level torp attack was discovered and 1 JU88 was downed by a Typhoon. The other 2 JU88s almost got to the CV .. they were in sight and moments away from dropping fish but were then also killed.

Special Ops 2 .. the 2 Ju88s that were suppose to fly around A19 and A20 and trick the RAF to think that was where our JU88s were instead of looking to the west .. were never spotted. So they landed after the fighting was over in the Calais area and rearmed (they had dumped their eggs on the first hop so they would be faster and more maneuverable .. they were supposed to make sure they were spotted and then run like hell). Both relaunched and I launched with them (2 JU88s and 1 bf109-G2) but stink1 disconnected at midnight.

Special Ops 3 was holding in the north sea. They were now given the go ahead and turned west and dove into england. When they made landfall they ran into at least 2 spitfires. We lost 1 JU88 to enemy fire but believe shot down 2 spitfires.

The survivor (Syzygy) continued on and hit the RAF radar facility with all his ordance. And then race across the channel to home just as APDrone arrived on target (like 1 minute after Syzygy dropped) at the radar facility. APDrone dropped and then 2 more spits came screaming in. I engaged them and was only trying to tie them up and not let them swarm APDrone .. hopefully I was a distraction because I never hit one of them. But APDrone got one of the spits but lost one engine. The other spit kept pressing the attack but we dragged him out over the water and he decided he had enough of trying to tackle a 109-G2 and JU88 and broke off and headed home.

This allowed Syzygy and APDrone to make it back to france and land.

--

FIGHTER FORCE
===========
LAUNCHED = 15 (bf109-G2s)
RTB            =   1
KIA             = 14
KILLS         = 12
ASSISTS     =   5

SPECIAL OPS FORCES
===============
LAUNCHED = 7 (JU88s)
RTB            = 2
DISCOED    = 1
KIA             = 4
KILLS          = 3 (Spits believed shot down)
DROPPED   = 2 JU88s dropped bombs

--

Here is individual scores (I log on early and write down everyone's score and then check that against their scores after the TOD is over). Not sure if the JU88 gunner kills recorded or not since I did not write that down before frame.

GhstDncr = 2 Kills, 1 Assist
    Drex         = 2 Kills
    Fdutchmn = 2 Kills
    Plink         = 2 Kills
    Tahgut     = 1 Kill, 2 Assists
    Dobe        = 1 Kill, 1 Assist
    Orvil         = 1 Kill
    GeeWally = 1 Assist

APDrone  = 26,016.7600 bomber points
    Syzygy    =  9,096.0124 bomber points
    Nucks      =     53.4510 bomber points
    BFD          =      8.1446 bomber points
X.O. 29th TFT, "We Move Mountains"
CM Terrain Team

Offline skernsk

• Platinum Member
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2002, 01:27:45 AM »
FDB's were supposed to cover B26 Rais and drop acks for them.  5 of us upped.

We lost 1 (our leader) to a typing death about 4 miles north of the field we upped from.

We rendezvoued (or however you spell it) with the 26's and headed East.  Once even with A20 we turned south and went for the target.

Several high 190's were spotted which doomed us as we wouldn't be able to outrun them.  Argyll adn Claidmor dragged them away long enough for sling and I to get in and work on acks.  Argyll and Cliadmor died for King and Country.  Sling got most of the acks .. I dropped 2 and was shot down....did my best to  try and auger into a Shore Batt, but was blacked out.

Sling finished off the ack and the B26 only had to worry about the entire LW aircraft in the Calais sector.

B26's dropped 4 bunkers and shot up a Bunch of planes

==================================
FDB had a BANNER night

5 acks

5 deaths

===================================

When are the Frame C.O's going to learn to let us go off and die like we always do rather than give us responsibility?

skernsk

Offline Durr

• Copper Member
      • http://us.geocities.com/ghostrider305
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2002, 02:11:10 AM »
I was the Typhoon that shot down that one Ju-88 from the group of 3 that was going for the CV.  I was flying with the 56th Fighter Group, on a lo level attack mission.  We got bounced by some 109s near the coast and I had my left wing shot off before I could evade.  I had just enough wing left to maintain flight, so I headed North for home.  On the way I stumbled across 3 Ju-88s at about 100 AGL.  My plane was barely controllable but I rolled in and made a firing pass on the trailing Ju.  He blew up, but either he, or one of the other Jus wounded me.  I continued to try to make firing passes, but the plane was so squirrely that I could barely hold wings level, plus I kept blacking out from wound.  I damaged one of the other Ju-88s slightly, then finally lost control completely in a long blackout.  I tried to use autotrim to hold level while blacking out, but the damage was too much.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2002, 03:00:08 AM by Durr »

Offline FDutchmn

• Silver Member
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2002, 05:49:54 AM »
Me screenshots...

1. Doesn't this look like a photograph? :)  Here I save my squadmate's butt, I had put enough shells into the right wing of the Typhoon (not clearly visible but half of it is gone).  The Typhoon crashes afterwards.  1st Kill.

2. I engage a B26 and tear it to shreds... 2nd Kill.

3. I am pinging away on this B26...

4. This is how we ended up....  AAAAARRRRRGGGGGHHHHH!!!!!  I Wanna Claim Victory for this one!!  Even Posthumous!! PPPUUULLLEEEEZZZEEE???

Offline Dawggus

• Nickel Member
      • http://www.nightmares.org
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2002, 09:10:36 AM »
As lead 88 of the 2-ship Ju88 "Backdoor" Flight, following is my AAR (please keep the "Backdoor" element in mind, it will have special significance at the end of the mission):

Two Ju88's upped from A17, climbing East for a sector, then North for three sectors.  Then we turned West, huffing and puffing to finally get to 20,000ft.  As we entered the sector just off the east coast of the Southern tip of England, successfully coming in through the backdoor unmolested, I put in a call to the Gruppen Komandeur.  He confirmed our target as the Radar facility at coordinates 6.9.5, and gave us the green light!

A cheer went up from the crew as we moved into position for our bomb run, wanting to go from North to South, with a quick exit over the Channel, and a safe return to base.  As we crossed the coastline, the dreaded call came "Achung - Speatfiours, 10:00 level!!!" (in a very shrill, German voice I might add).  My blood ran cold as I called for our formation to turn due West, and set up a rear quarter attack from the Spitfires, giving our gunners the best chance for success.

The Spitfires dove in with a series of rear-quarter slashing attacks, each one shaking our ship from stem to stern.  Chucks of the Ju88 came spinning off our plane, and the damage reports came rolling in.  In the second sweeping attack from the Spitfires, two of my crew were mortally wounded, leaving only KidFury and myself to carry on the fight.

KidFury fired madly at the swarming Spitfires, but the guns they armed our 88s with were almost futile against the armour of the Spitfires, and our bullets seemed to bounce off the enemy planes.  I've never heard such a stream of Germanic cusswords as flowed from KidFury's mouth while he banged away at the Spitties to no avail, his Mom would have been proud ;).

On the final pass of the Spitfires, I saw a stream of cannon fire penetrate the wing root, and the left wing began to fold in on itself, and I called for KidFury to bail out.  I was able to hold the plane steady until I saw KidFury clear the plane, then I jumped for the hatch and hit the silk with him.  We floated down into the serene English countryside, knowing the war was now over for the both of us, and guiltily feeling a little relief, our fate could have been much worse!

As we neared the ground, we saw an angry mob of what appeared to be limey farmers.  They were shaking pitchforks at us, and seemed none too happy!  As we surveyed the scene we saw why, the remains of our Ju88 had ploughed right into their little village, and two homes were heavily damaged and burning brightly!  Expecting the worst, KidFury and I both pulled our sidearms as we alit on the ground.  The angry farmers immediately jumped on KidFury before he could cock his Luger, and viciously pitchforked him to death as he lay tangled in his chute wires.  As it turned out, he would be the lucky one!

I extracted myself from my parachute, and held up my hands in a plea for mercy.  I was hoping they had sated their bloodlust on KidFury, and would not run me through with those nasty, bloodstained pitchforks.  The farmers grabbed me roughly and stripped me down to my skivvies, shouting some limey gibberish the whole time.  They tied me to the back of an old plough mule, and drug me back through the village street.  Women and children stood on the sides of the street staring and laughing at me, and I was humiliated beyond belief!

After the farmers had their fun with me, they threw my battered and bruised body into a small locked shed, and I could hear them making their way to the village pub, gibbering and laughing in some strange cockney accent the whole time.  As I regained my senses, I noticed one of the rear slates on the shed was loose, and was able to pry it open with a bit of work.

As I escaped over the English hillock, I was madder than a hornet, and looking to exact some revenge on someone, anyone I could get my hands on!  I snuck down the vale and over a second hillock, to a beeeeoutifulllll site!  A small pond lay at the bottom of this vale, and I spied the backside of a pretty limey sheep that had wondered ankle deep into the pond and was drinking lazily from the water ...

ACHUNG!!! ... zie rest of zies mission is classzefied confietenzial, authorized access only!

Respectfully submitted:

BFD (aka Dawg)

Offline Ripsnort

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2002, 01:29:44 PM »
Short MAG-33 AAR:  
Spitfires met 190's co-alt over the channel, shot down about 6 or so,  higher 109 cover came in, high MAG group engaged, low level dogfight occured.  We lost 4 at this point with claims of up to 11 enemy  shot down. RTB for fuel/ammo, 7 of us, one loss due to tail wheel missing, another with a prop strike, that left 5 of us for air cover.  Re-up and another 190 battle low level erupted, with 3 more being claimed and myself had to ditch at the port with a bad engine.  That left 3 or 4 up 1 hour into the frame, and I logged at that point.

1st hour stats roughly:
11 started
4 remained after 1st hour
14 kills claimed (190 and 109)

Update: 21 enemy killed, 8 losses.  2.75/1 KD ratio!
« Last Edit: January 27, 2002, 11:15:00 AM by Ripsnort »

Offline DRILL

• Copper Member
      • http://www.457thbgh.com
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2002, 02:55:31 PM »
457TH

We had a long flight 11 ju88s target fuel refinery.
        long trip just as we got to target 2 cons sighted (2 spits)
        we had time so we all turned stright in blasted hell out
         of target :)  . spits chased us we lost 1 ju88 tyhen killed 1 spit and lost another ju88 (me) but my gunner got the spit :)
other spits joined chase bleaved we got 2 more spit kills .
 3 ju88s were damaged of the 3 2 made it back to field 1 ditched just short of runway 1 landed safely 1 did a beautiful belly landing :) .

had 11 ju88s
lost 2 to fighter
1 ditched
8 landed safely

kills 4 spits
Drill /384th FA/CH 364th

Offline daddog

• Aces High CM Staff (Retired)
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://www.332nd.org
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2002, 03:27:54 PM »
Noses in the wind since 1997
332nd Flying Mongrels
daddog
Knowing for Sure

Offline Kratzer

• Gold Member
      • http://www.luftjagerkorps.com/
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2002, 12:56:59 AM »
LJK AAR:

Pilots: Kratzer, Raubvgl, LJKBear1, LJKVR, Dern, Furious

I won't be too specific here, but basically...

FW 190 A5: We took off, patrolling the coast.  Nightmares and SBMs reported that they were engaged with spitfires on the deck, we flew over the fight, checked it was under control, then on ghostdancer's orders, remained at high altitude looking for bombers.  We followed one group of what we discovered were retreating spitfires out over the channel, then broke off the pursuit on identifying them, and headed back to defend our factories.  Knowing that the enemy could avoid radar by flying low, we patrolled the edge of a cloud formation, dropping two scout aircraft to patrol under the clouds, looking for low bombers.

We identified 4 low Typhoons, and attacked, shooting down all of the Typhoons, and losing one pilot to equipment failure when he crashed at low altitude while pursuing an enemy aircraft. (read: don't move the controls so rapidly)  We then saw a large formation of aircraft on the deck, identified them as B26 bombers, and attacked, sadly, without the altitude advantage we had held when attacking the formation of Typhoons.  We succeeded in shooting down 7 of the 15 B26 aircraft, damaging 2 additional aircraft, and a spitfire that arrived after a few minutes, but eventually all of our planes were shot down.

Tally:
Kratzer: 1x Typhoon, 1x B26, lost to enemy fire
Raubvgl: 1x Typhoon, 1x B26, lost to enemy fire
LJKBear1: 1x B26, 2x B26 damaged, 1x spitfire damaged, lost to enemy fire
Dern: 1x Typhoon, lost to mechanical failure
LJKVR: 1x B26, 1x B26 damaged, lost to enemy fire
Furious: 1x Typhoon, 3x B26, lost to enemy fire

Offline Kratzer

• Gold Member
      • http://www.luftjagerkorps.com/
« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2002, 12:58:39 AM »
Sounds like we ran into you guys, daddog. :)