Author Topic: Frame Rate help please  (Read 801 times)

Offline 2bull

• Zinc Member
Frame Rate help please
« on: January 28, 2002, 06:31:51 AM »
Running a 1.5 gig,p4, 512 meg ram 64 meg rivaTNT vid card, and only getting a frame rate of 1 or 2 max when  a plane gets on my 6 in buff within 500, frame rate drops as plane gets closer, in flight, max nobody else around fr is maybe 35,
This is a new system, with windows xp, and seems to have some major issues.. can't seem to get the dam thing to crank up with less than 22 apps running. and when i try and control alt del em out, it restarts in the new xp "safe mode" ... other than  a 50 cal round into the middle of it, any suggestions? have installed latest vid card drivers, no help, one would think it would give a better performance than the 700 mhz 256 meg ram, vodoo 5 card system its replaceing, but so far, no luck....

Offline mrsid2

• Parolee
  • Silver Member
Frame Rate help please
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2002, 06:49:12 AM »
Well it looks like you got screwed pretty good with that computer deal.

1.5Ghz P4 is not much faster than 1Ghz PIII (I suppose you have also a motherboard that uses SDRAM instead of rambust.. lol)

However your biggest problem is the TNT card which is simply outdated. No new system should come without a Geforce3 these days IMO.

The first thing you should do is to take the whole computer back in the shop and tell them to stuff it where it belongs. They ripped you off with 2 years old technology that they wanted to get rid of.

If you can't do that, at least put that old Voodoo5500 in the new computer (although you need to get rid of XP probably then which is not a bad thing anyway) find latest drivers for all parts and install them.

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
Frame Rate help please
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2002, 08:20:03 AM »
put your old hardrive (I assume it's running Win98) and video card in your new computer and check ur framerates

gl
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | 16GB GIGABYTE RTX 4070 Ti Super | 850 watt ps | pimax Crystal Light | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder

Offline Lephturn

• Silver Member
      • http://lephturn.webhop.net
Frame Rate help please
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2002, 09:04:05 AM »
The very first things you should try are:

1.  NVidia Detonator drivers.  http://www.otakupc.com/downloads/nvidia_drivers.shtml  Try the 21.81's (WHQL) versions and see what happens.

2.  Try setting your AGP Apeture size in BIOS to 128.  Although it shouldn't matter to a TNT card much... who knows.  If it doesn't do anything, set it back to 64 or whatever it was before.

Now, that TNT isn't that great a card, but it should play the game.  What size monitor do you have, what video resolution and color depth are you trying to run?

You should really look at swapping that TNT out for a GeForce 3 Ti 200 if you can afford it, or if not something like a GeForce 2 TI or MX... any of those will be better than the card you have.

Offline 2bull

• Zinc Member
Frame Rate help please
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2002, 09:14:56 AM »
yep, on the sdram, http://www.sonystyle.com/vaio/popup/specs_rx550.pdf

400.mhz bus, 256 133mhz sdram < upgraded to 512, >cording to specs, 4x agp nvida tnt2 m64, vid card, will try the vodoo card in it and will see if i can figure out how to plug in old hard drive.
thanks for help

Offline mrsid2

• Parolee
  • Silver Member
Frame Rate help please
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2002, 09:20:51 AM »
Man I hate when the computer dealers pull these stunts on people. They install the worst possible combination of parts available today trusting that the low price and lack of expertise on the customer will get their product sold.

And too often it does - leaving the customer with the realization that he / she has to upgrade 90% of the system if he/she wants to have an up-to-date performance.

Offline mrsid2

• Parolee
  • Silver Member
Frame Rate help please
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2002, 09:35:48 AM »
How much did you pay for that system without monitor?

$750 or more?

Offline 214thCavalier

• Silver Member
Frame Rate help please
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2002, 11:11:56 AM »
Your major problem is the vid card, in your first post you referred to it as an Nvidia TNT which is old  sure but would have given you better frame rates than you report.
However in a later post you refer to the Card as an Nvidia TNT M64.
That is a totaly different animal, it is the worst possible video card that Nvidia produced. It was specifically created as a bargain bin crippled version of the TNT mainly for cheapo system builders who dont really give a rats bellybutton what the performance is gonna be like.
Virtually any other video card will kick its butt.

Offline mrsid2

• Parolee
  • Silver Member
Frame Rate help please
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2002, 11:14:38 AM »
I'd strongly suggest you return the whole computer and kick the dealers butt if they promised ANY gaming performance from that box.

Offline bloom25

• Silver Member
Frame Rate help please
« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2002, 11:23:41 AM »
If you want any level of gaming performance from that system you are going to have to get rid of the TNT2 M64 video card and switch it for something else.  I'd suggest a GF2 Titanium or Gf 3 Titanium 200.  

I need to warn you that if that system happens to be a Gateway or some other name brands you may not have an AGP expansion slot!  I really hope this is not the case.

The fact that it's a SDRAM rather than RDRAM or even DDR SDRAM board also hurts performance significantly, though a video card upgrade will at least allow decent framerates.

Offline Beach

• Zinc Member
Frame Rate help please
« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2002, 10:37:30 AM »
Punt, need to find this string when i get home, Low frame rates here as well
BeachS

Offline Red Tail 444

• Gold Member
      • http://www.redtail.org
geForce3
« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2002, 11:27:13 AM »
MRSID, you said only new boxes should come w/ geforce3, I just bought a 1.6 P4 256 40GB cable modem w/ geforce2, am I bumming now?

Offline mrsid2

• Parolee
  • Silver Member
Frame Rate help please
« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2002, 11:32:11 AM »
Compared to your CPU speed, yes. The Geforce2 is too low-end for that system.

However with that combination you'll play most modern games ok so its not a disaster.

Just out of curiosity: did you also get a P4 with a sdram motherboard?

Offline Red Tail 444

• Gold Member
      • http://www.redtail.org
Frame rate
« Reply #13 on: January 30, 2002, 04:39:38 PM »
Thanks MrSid, here is what I have:

Dimension 4300, Pentium 4 Processor at 1.6Ghz,
256MB SDRAM
Video Card: 64MB NVIDIA GeForce2 MX Graphics Card with TV-Out
40GB,ATA-100,7200 RPM,Hard Drive (340-3093)
Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition,English (420-3079)
Operating System:       
10/100 PCI Fast Ethernet NIC Factory Install (430-5353)

I spoke to  HTC folks and they assured me GeForce2 is good for at least next two upgrades. I actually emailed them the specs, and they said it would be a very nice system and I should have no problems. Since they have nothing to gain, I believe in them

As for your SDRAM question, I have no joy on that answer.

IN any event, I told the Dell folks I would be gaming primarily, so if they screwed me, I'm gonna be pretty upset at Dell...

Offline mrsid2

• Parolee
  • Silver Member
Frame Rate help please
« Reply #14 on: January 31, 2002, 01:29:57 AM »
Hmm, that's a geforce2 MX not a geforce2.

That is definately too slow card for the system, I thought you had a geforce 2 Pro or something. You got screwed there..

Pentium4 SDRAM boards should not be sold for gaming use so yes, Dell screwed you.

Windows XP home should not be sold to anyone, you got screwed there also..

I suggest you give Dell some feedback. That sdram motherboard is going to eat a good slice away out of the potential computing speed of your P4 processor. It was designed to use RDRam with is about 4 times faster than normal sdram.

Geforce2 MX is as fast as the original geforce that came to market 2 years ago, it's outdated for 1 year now. However since aces high has low hardware demands it might give you around 60 fps, less than 20 in heavy smoke. A geforce3 Ti200 will outperform geforce2 mx in all applications by at least 3x speed (even 5-6x in Dx8 applications) and costs only about double from the mx. I'd get that one - or radeon8500 which starts to have drivers now.

Windows XP home is a mutilated version of the Pro, it has huge security flaws like IIS preinstalled, poor gaming compatability (problems with hardware like joysticks) etc etc.

Of course your first mistake was to buy an Intel board if you wanted to get a cheap computer.

If you must stick with Intel, you should have bought P4 1.6+ with an RDRam motherboard, 256+ rdram, win98se for gaming although I'd suggest w2k which I use. XP at the moment will bring you more trouble than benefits, it's still too young a release.

If you have any chance to return that computer and do the changes above I'd strongly suggest that. Your Dell was not optimized for any use imaginable. For gaming it has too low-end parts. For office use it has a graphics card which is infamous for its poor 2d quality and fuzzy high-resolution picture..

So your computer is good for nothing basically. Sorry to say this but its true.

It will probably beat your old computer in terms of performance, but I can assure you that the computer I built myself from VIA parts, geforce3 ti200, ddr ram etc.. will outperform your new computer with similar price here and back. Another consumer has got Dell'd it seems.

Oh, and if you're going to stick with the XP home you need to download, install and run this if you want to have more than 60hz refresh rate in games (trust me, you do.)

Run it with the option 'set all resolutions to 85hz or closest' and then check that your desktop is set to 85hz refresh.
With a geforce2 mx I don't suggest using anything over 1024x768x32 resolutions, it's picture gets fuzzy at higher resolutions.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2002, 01:39:19 AM by mrsid2 »