Author Topic: Thinking about adjusting downtime...  (Read 936 times)

Offline Sabre

• Gold Member
      • Rich Owen
Thinking about adjusting downtime...
« on: January 30, 2002, 08:51:43 AM »
Right now I've got it set to twice the MA.  I did that because I knew there'd be fewer people than in the MA (though it was nice to log in last night and see 53 people during primetime), so taking a base would take a little longer.  The problem is, that's a two-edged sabre :).  During off hours, it makes it waaaay to easy for a two people to get on when there's no one else on and take half the map in an hour.

I'd like to slow the pace of the Allies' advance, but adjusting the down time will also hurt the Japanese, who naturally take longer to capture a base because of the lighter bomb loads.  Any thoughts?

Sabre
CT Team
Sabre
"The urge to save humanity almost always masks a desire to rule it."

Offline Raubvogel

• Gold Member
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2002, 11:01:01 AM »
I'm all for it. Milkrunning sucks. I rarely fly in the current setup because everytime I enter the arena the Japanese is backed into a corner. Same with the Stalingrad map. Everytime I logged on there'd be 2 bases about10 sectors behind our lines that someone thought it would be cool to take by themselves.

Offline eskimo2

• Platinum Member
      • hallbuzz.com
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2002, 11:50:41 AM »
Sabre,
I think that the thing that is really screwing the Japanese is that they keep losing their ports and carriers.  (Largely my fault, sorry)
Perhaps make the port towns uncapturabe (1 sec down time on ack?).  And change the peramitors for victory.

eskimo

Offline eskimo2

• Platinum Member
      • hallbuzz.com
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2002, 11:53:57 AM »
LOL!
Now the Japs are complaining about sneak attacks!!!

eskimo

Offline Nifty

• Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2002, 12:35:57 PM »
;)   However the difference is that Pearl Harbor was manned on Dec 7th, 1941 and Yamamoto didn't try to take the maproom with troops!  :p
proud member of the 332nd Flying Mongrels, noses in the wind since 1997.

Offline Sunchaser

• Copper Member
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2002, 03:15:14 PM »
That's the problem with a 24/7 arena, there are times when the majority of players are not playing.

Getting upset because someone somewhere logs in while we are all sleeping or working and snags some bases because there is not much else to do will not stop it nor will calling them milkrunners.

As far as base capture is concerned, from the standpoint of someone who mostly flies bombers I could care less.

It really does bug me to see a CV fleet 5 feet offshore though.

Would it be possible to make it so a CV fleet cannot get any closer than perhaps the nearest base?

20-25 miles is way closer than most CV Fleets ever really got.

When it is possible to have a Cruiser or Destroyer Squadron closer might be OK but not with CVs .

I think you guys are doing a great job trying to please everyone, an impossible task but thanks for trying.

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2002, 03:52:33 PM »
having never played with the setup I dont know whats possible ..

can you just make some bases harder to flatten then others, say 10k instead of 3 for a hangar, etc ...

or change the reset parameters, resetting when it becomes lopsided sooner...
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | EVGA GeForce RTX 3070 Ti FTW3 | Vive Pro | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder Pedals

Offline Sabre

• Gold Member
      • Rich Owen
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2002, 03:55:13 PM »
Unfortunately, there are some arena settings that can only be adjusted on a global level.

Sabre
CT Team
Sabre
"The urge to save humanity almost always masks a desire to rule it."

Offline Hangtime

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2002, 12:30:19 AM »
seems like the CT becomes what it was intended to be when about 15+ players are on.

A lot of times when I log in, i find the situation somewhat disorienting till I've been there about a half hour and have seen what the two sides are up to.

how about disabling flight and vehicles in the arena during the non prime time hours, and possibly posting a synopsis on the progress of the previous evenings war, ala newsreel on the arena log in clipboard. Just a short paragraph or two noting side total A/C wins and losses, bases captured, CV's sunk. A War Bulliten, so to speak.

Then have an East Coast CM enable the fields at 8:00pm eastern, and have a West Coast CM lock 'em back down at Midnight, Pacific on weekdays, and let it go 24/7 on weekends and holidays. Next day, somebody from the CT Team reads the previous evenings log, posts the War Bulliten on the CT's log-in page. During the day, folks could log on to the arena, check the bulliten, sniff the arrested lay of the land, maybe direct some fleet movements and start planning for the upcomming evening war.

Squads would likely like to get in on the action; possibly even scheduling regular squad nights in the CT for squad activities they could do in an enviorment a whole lot less chaotic than the MA.

Should i note here that I'm realllly stinkin toejam-faced right now?

tomorrows hangover will no doubt be a doozy.
The price of Freedom is the willingness to do sudden battle, anywhere, any time and with utter recklessness...

...at home, or abroad.

Offline Buzzbait

• Silver Member
« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2002, 01:56:28 AM »
S! Hangtime

We are hoping to get the kind of 'Bulletin' you mentioned as an automatic part of a stats page for the CT.  Right now it isn't possible.

Offline Saintaw

• Platinum Member
      • My blog
« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2002, 03:21:18 AM »
Well, ge Hang, I take it softly because you're pissed:)  

I don't want to wake up at 4 AM to be able to fly in the CT, we still have a good laughs in there at Primetime Europe too ! And no am not talkin' about Milkrunnin'

(Usualy between 8-20... we get to share Sake amonst few of us... less poeple, MORE SAKE!  )

Saw
IJN POKEMON & Co
Saw
Dirty, nasty furriner.

Offline Pepe

• Silver Member
« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2002, 03:33:08 AM »
I don't like milkrunning either. Maybe if base capture is enabled only when a certain number of players is achieved.

The problem with this is I'm not pissed right now, and I don't know how Saw's gonna take it!  :D

Btw....No Sake for USN flyers!!

Cheers,

Pepe

Offline Sunchaser

• Copper Member
« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2002, 08:43:13 AM »
Hey Hang, good thing ya told us you had been imbibing otherwise we would have just thought you went completely nuts.

I think the guys outside the Continental U.S. pay the same as we do and your proposal denies them access during their "Prime Time".

Offline Hangtime

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #13 on: January 31, 2002, 09:38:27 AM »
I think the guys outside the Continental U.S. pay the same as we do and your proposal denies them access during their "Prime Time".

We oughta charge 'em more, make em clean the latrines and deny them access to the sheep.

After all, if we're supposed ta be eliteists... ;)
The price of Freedom is the willingness to do sudden battle, anywhere, any time and with utter recklessness...

...at home, or abroad.

Offline Saintaw

• Platinum Member
      • My blog
« Reply #14 on: January 31, 2002, 01:05:57 PM »
Btw....No Sake for USN flyers!!

:eek: :confused: :o :mad:
Saw
Dirty, nasty furriner.