Author Topic: Poll: Not military related at all, but on speed ;-)  (Read 1180 times)

Offline Fastbikkel

• Zinc Member
      • http://members.fortunecity.com/fastbikkel
Poll: Not military related at all, but on speed ;-)
« Reply #45 on: April 20, 2001, 12:01:00 AM »
215 km/h, in my renault clio 1.6 16v, 110 HP.
I think this is something near 160 miles per hour.

nice discussion,

FB.

Offline Swoop

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #46 on: April 20, 2001, 01:05:00 AM »
215?   ha!  that's 133mph

Come back when you can hit 270kmh.

lazs

« Reply #47 on: April 20, 2001, 11:15:00 AM »
non of the non stretched frame or non streamlined 650cc bikes are over about 150mph and most have well over $7,000 in the motors. Perhaps sturmie should show em how it's done.  Can't believe he wouldn't want his name in the record books.  Taking off the licence plate and rear view mirror should even add a couple mikes per hour.

for those interested... here is how to figure out exactly how fast you are going....

tire height in inches (some tire growth at speed) times RPM (revs) divided by 336 divided by gear ratio.   for instance...my car has a 28.6" tire height with a 1/1 rear drive of 3.70 so... at 6800 rpms in final drive (4th) equals a true speed of.... 156.4 mph
lazs

Sturm

« Reply #48 on: April 20, 2001, 01:12:00 PM »
Lazs funny thing is, do you know what your talking about?  A stock 600cc bike will do 152-156 off the show room.  Lose the pipe add an after market exhaust depending on whether it is carbon fiber or titanium you can save upwards of 15 pounds add an extra 5-10 HP depending on jetting.  Lets see rework the carbs, ejection, spark plugs, headers, tuning of the engine.  Well you get the point.  

If you want a detailed list of what I did to the bike I will go thru my records and see if I still have the order statements for the parts.  Justifying something to you is like trying to teach a 1st grader the ABC's yes its hard but sooner or later they will catch on.  Now run along lil boy, recess is almost over and you will have to give up the school puter.  

------------------
Sturm6 StaffelKapitän
JV44 Platzschutzstaffel
Airfield Defense Squadron
"Did we give up when the Germans bombed Pearl harbor?"  Famous quote from Animal House, John Belushi.

Offline Swoop

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #49 on: April 21, 2001, 05:34:00 AM »
Um......guys, I dunno what the argument is here.  Sturm is correct, modern 600cc sportsbikes all do 155-160mph straight out of the showroom (given running in time).  If you're thinking "I cant get my '99 softail over 120" well.....what you're riding is 1960's tractor technology with less wheels.  Not saying Harley's are crap, I'd have one......but I'd use my R6 when I wanna get somewhere.   Sportsbike.....cruiser.  And before anyone asks, no a Bandit/Fazer/Thundercat is not a sportsbike.

The Kawasaki ZX-6R has one of the most tunable engines ever.  They're bullet proof, huge great things with the tolerances to get away with most tuning work without taking a drop in reliability.  I have no problem believing Sturm cos I know other people that have thrown silly money at a 6R and got back a missile with wheels.  Some people would say a ZX-6R is a sports tourer, not a pure sportsbike......but the engine is a bit good to be called a tourer.

As for the speed claim....well again, I have no problem believing a tuned 6R is capable of those speeds which is why I'm not arguing about speedo inaccuracy or how he knows exactly what true mph he was going.

Now call my stupid is ya like but shouldnt this thread be in the O club?

lazs

« Reply #50 on: April 21, 2001, 09:59:00 AM »
couple of points... most people don't really know how fast they are going.  Speedos are not a good way to tell.  My ex highway patrol mustang has a "certified calibrated" speedo and is ded on at 60mph but is 5 mph off at 125.   I gave a formula to show how to figure out how fast you are actually going.  All it takes is an accurate tach.

point two... those were the actual land speed records for 650CC bikes.  those are timed runs with no bull.   they are of course  the average for two runs.  They are also some very modified bikes with stretched frames and partial or full streamlining.   The records are what they are.  I didn't make em up just to make sturmie look bad (he does fine on his own).  

Many people have gone to the salt flats and been REALLY dissapointed in how fast there car really went (look at production records).  
sturmie... i have built more hot motors than u have time on line this tour so yeah... list the things YOU did to spend 7 grand on a 600cc motor.   I don't think you know a ring end gap from a 3 angle valve job.  And while your at it... tell me how you know what "true" (as opposed to indicated)speed was.

Gearing is important... too much and the vehicle won't rpm... too little and it tachs out too early.   Yes... I would be very interested to see a list of modifications that dumped 7 grand into a 600cc bike that was still streetable with a production frame.  I would be even more interested in seeing a sanctioned speed slip for that bike.

And yes I have built a 102 inch shovelhead but I make no claims for it except that it was one really fun bike that sounded squeakin.  The thing about Harleys is...  motorcycles are dangerous.  if your gonna die on one at least die on one that isn't embarassing to be seen on.

Oh... for all interested... GTech makes a timing device that plugs into your 12 volt source and is $140.   it will tell you 0-60 and quarter mile times to within a tenth of a second.  I have one and tested it on a bunch of cars and it is (mine at least) as accurate as they claim.   It makes a very good anti roadkill meter.
lazs

BigJoe

« Reply #51 on: April 21, 2001, 10:12:00 AM »
And do you people have any accurate historical data to prove this?  

lazs

« Reply #52 on: April 21, 2001, 10:25:00 AM »
yep.
lazs