Author Topic: Stick settings???  (Read 611 times)

Offline bizket

• Copper Member
Stick settings???
« on: January 31, 2002, 01:24:27 AM »
Hi all, I'm over here from that other game to give AH a fair shot. I was wondering if anybody could give me some settings for a Microsoft Sidewinder Pre Pro non force feedback. My WBs settings dont seem to be working to well, im getting a ton of nose bounce.

thx in advance

Offline Tyro48

• Copper Member
Stick settings???
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2002, 06:21:13 AM »
well, I guess first of all I'd go to setup and within setup go to joystick, from there look at the window to the left and watch all you inputs and see if you get a nice steady line, if not adjust dampening until you do, the sliders settings will probably change as you get used to the game and how it feels so to speak.

Offline akak

• Silver Member
      • http://www.479thraiders.com
Re: Stick settings???
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2002, 03:51:49 PM »
Originally posted by bizket
Hi all, I'm over here from that other game to give AH a fair shot. I was wondering if anybody could give me some settings for a Microsoft Sidewinder Pre Pro non force feedback. My WBs settings dont seem to be working to well, im getting a ton of nose bounce.

thx in advance

Stick Scale

click on that link to download a stick scale that helps get rid of the nose bounce.

Offline Tjay

• Copper Member
Re: Re: Stick settings???
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2002, 06:28:43 PM »
Originally posted by akak

click on that link to download a stick scale that helps get rid of the nose bounce.

Scuse my bleeding ignorance, but where do you put it after it's unzipped?
Thanks in advance.

Offline oboe

• Plutonium Member
Stick settings???
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2002, 06:56:51 PM »
Hi Bizket!

Offline airbull

• Nickel Member
Stick settings???
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2002, 03:53:27 AM »
Its  program files/Htc/Acehigh/settings
Make sure you save the old one incase you get any problems.:)
'Crashed slow-rolling near ground. Bad show'

http://www.thefewsquadron.co.uk

Offline Mitsu

• Gold Member
      • Himitsu no blog (Mitsu's secret blog - written by Japanese)
Stick settings???
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2002, 04:12:09 AM »
My stick setting is almost default, but Damping of Roll is 0.
That's all.

-Mitsu

Offline akak

• Silver Member
      • http://www.479thraiders.com
Re: Re: Re: Stick settings???
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2002, 05:12:38 AM »
Originally posted by Tjay

Scuse my bleeding ignorance, but where do you put it after it's unzipped?
Thanks in advance.

Go into your Program Files/HTC/Aces High/Settings folder and locate the file stick.cfg.  Right click on it and then rename the file, stick.bak.  Now unzip the .zip file into the same folder.  Next time you play Aces High the new stick scale should be in effect.

Offline Kini

• Zinc Member
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2024, 11:55:21 AM »

Stick Scale

Does anyone have a link to the to the stickscale.zip file? The link which is very old is no longer relevant.  I've been battling close in nose bounce since I restarted AH.

Offline Skyyr

• persona non grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2024, 12:47:48 PM »
Does anyone have a link to the to the stickscale.zip file? The link which is very old is no longer relevant.  I've been battling close in nose bounce since I restarted AH.

Nose-bounce is almost always caused by PIO/over-control and is usually due to dampening. Turn your dampening down/off and see if that helps.
Skyyr

Tours:
166 - 190
198 - 204
218 - 220
286 - 287
290 - 296

nrshida: "I almost beat Skyyr after he took a 6 year break!"
A few moments later...

vs Shane: 30-11

KOTH Wins: 6, Egos Broken: 1000+

Mmmmm... tears.

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2024, 01:49:27 PM »

I agree with Skyyr, it is better to learn to control your hand on the stick than it is to use damping and scaling.

I dont have the stick scal.zip file, I doubt anyone does as that post was over 20 years ago and the poster with the file passed away a couple of years ago. I do have AckAck stick scaling in screen shots.

As you can see they are from a much older version of the game, but the settings should still work.

However, I would work on learning to control yourself/plane. A good exercise is to take off and flying no higher than the radar tower fly between buildings and through the hangers. The smoother you are the better you can keep the plane in the air. It will take practice to over rider the "stick yanking" you do under pressure trying to get your shot, but it can be done.

Offline Max

• Platinum Member
« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2024, 06:00:26 PM »
Joe did those illustrations by any chance originate with ack-ack's postings from way back when...think it was AH2. 

I mimicked what he posted at the time and it was the smoothest response I ever recall. Of course, which equipment you apply the values to varies. Back in the day I lobby Hitech for the ability to assign custom setting by plane or input device.
Then too, I requested submarines at a Con back n 2004  :D

sidenote: Dale informed me at that time that his dad served on a sub during WW2, and was thinking about adding them into the game. Alas...Combat Tour derailed it.  :furious

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #12 on: July 26, 2024, 08:58:34 PM »
Yes Max, those are AckAck's settings from way back them. Like Ive said on the "Aces Help Page", I save everything!

Offline Max

• Platinum Member
« Reply #13 on: July 27, 2024, 06:34:43 AM »
Guess I missed the part where you stated.... I do have AckAck stick scaling in screen shots.

:bhead :banana:

Offline icepac

• Platinum Member
« Reply #14 on: July 27, 2024, 08:14:25 AM »
While messing with stick settings, go to external view on the runway and watch the control surfaces.   
That view is useful.   

Also know that some sticks may have a sensitivity issue until it is worked full range a few times.
If you are calibrating one of those sticks before it’s settled down, you end with something other than your intended settings being saved.   
A lot of sticks act up if not plugged into a quality powered hub.