Author Topic: Making Gun Sounds?  (Read 689 times)

Offline Drano

• Platinum Member
Making Gun Sounds?
« on: January 31, 2002, 11:21:26 AM »
Is there a trick to it? I've changed several other sounds--engine, flaps, check6 etc. They all work fine but I'm having trouble converting a gun sound.

I have some recordings of actual weapons in .wav form. Difference with these sounds and the AH sounds is the AH sound only calls for a single cycle (one round) while the sounds I have are a second or so long--the sound of several rounds being fired.

OK, so I use Goldwave to edit sounds. I found the length of the AH gun sound and made a new blank file of the same length. I chopped out one cycle(same length of time also) from the new sound and pasted it in the new file. Tests out OK in Goldwave. Sound of one round--same length of time. I rename the sound appropriately and place it in the sound folder of the plane I want it in.

When I test it in AH and fire the gun I'll get the sound once about ever 5 or 6 seconds instead of a bambambambambam as the gun fires.

Is there something I've missed? Has me scratchin my head.

Thanks for any help. :)

Drano
"Drano"
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

FSO flying with the 412th Friday Night Volunteer Group

Offline flakbait

• Silver Member
      • http://www.worldaccessnet.com/~delta6
Making Gun Sounds?
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2002, 01:40:06 PM »
AH default gun sounds are around 0.124 seconds long. That's point 124 seconds, just over a tenth of a second. Not much audio-wise is it? To get around that, and make a gun sound like it fires faster, you crop the sound down to say .108 or so. Now if you've got several shots in that .108 seconds, that's what you'll hear. AH handles each gun shot for shot, instead of a 6 shot series. Otherwise you'd hear firing when you weren't shooting! I know several guys here who are confused enough as it is!

Anyhoo odds are your sound is several seconds long with only one shot in it. In Goldwave look at the bottom gray status bar, there's a total length listing for the sound. Using the right mouse button, move the right hand marker up so it's right on the edge of your gun sound. The gun sound being that funny looking squiggle in the middle :) . Next? Whack Delete to crop it. That should solve your problem.

As a reference:
0.124 seconds = 480 rounds per minute
0.114 = 522 rounds per minute
0.100 = 600 rounds per minute

Quick tip: If you're trying to offset gun sounds, make sure there's at least 0.04 seconds difference between the two. That's about as tight as you can get it and actually hear a difference. Otherwise you'll get a doppler shift effect when firing the guns, it really sounds weird.

-----------------------
Flakbait [Delta6]
Delta Six's Flight School
Put the P-61B in Aces High
"For yay did the sky darken, and split open and spew forth fire, and
through the smoke rode the Four Wurgers of the Apocalypse.
And on their canopies was tattooed the number of the Beast, and the
number was 190." Jedi, Verse Five, Capter Two, The Book of Dweeb

Offline Drano

• Platinum Member
Making Gun Sounds?
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2002, 03:41:36 PM »
What I'm doing is making a new blank file that's .124 sec's long. I run my sound--which is like 3 or 4 sec's long and is a series of shots then crop out the sound of just one round firing that's .124 sec's and paste it to the new file. It is just the sound of one round being fired not a series of rounds like in the original sound. And it is the same .124 sec length as the AH sound is.

But when I'm running it in AH I'll only hear the new sound about once every 5 secs or so while the guns are firing at the normal rate. I'll try and make the file shorter and see if it straightens out.

Would how I save it make a diff? When I get the "save as" prompt is there a certain .wav I should be using? Signed, unsigned etc.? What do you mean by offsetting the sounds?          
                   Thankee sir  .

Drano

Originally posted by flakbait
AH default gun sounds are around 0.124 seconds long. That's point 124 seconds, just over a tenth of a second. Not much audio-wise is it? To get around that, and make a gun sound like it fires faster, you crop the sound down to say .108 or so. Now if you've got several shots in that .108 seconds, that's what you'll hear. AH handles each gun shot for shot, instead of a 6 shot series. Otherwise you'd hear firing when you weren't shooting! I know several guys here who are confused enough as it is!

Anyhoo odds are your sound is several seconds long with only one shot in it. In Goldwave look at the bottom gray status bar, there's a total length listing for the sound. Using the right mouse button, move the right hand marker up so it's right on the edge of your gun sound. The gun sound being that funny looking squiggle in the middle :) . Next? Whack Delete to crop it. That should solve your problem.

As a reference:
0.124 seconds = 480 rounds per minute
0.114 = 522 rounds per minute
0.100 = 600 rounds per minute

Quick tip: If you're trying to offset gun sounds, make sure there's at least 0.04 seconds difference between the two. That's about as tight as you can get it and actually hear a difference. Otherwise you'll get a doppler shift effect when firing the guns, it really sounds weird.

-----------------------
Flakbait [Delta6]

"Drano"
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

FSO flying with the 412th Friday Night Volunteer Group

Offline flakbait

• Silver Member
Making Gun Sounds?
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2002, 09:29:23 AM »
How you save it doesn't make any difference, because all AH sees is a WAV file. But do not save it as a stereo sound. The latest patch made any stereo sound unplayable, so keep it mono.

You say the sound is 0.124 seconds long yet you hear it once every 4 to 5 seconds? Either the sound has a long stretch of silence on the end of it, or AH simply doesn't like your WAV file. I certainly have never heard of this problem, and I've never encountered it before. After doing 380+ sounds for AH I'm at a loss for a cause. Send both your chopped file and the original to me and I'll take a look-see. Maybe it's something obvious we both missed.

-----------------------
Flakbait [Delta6]

Offline WhiteHawk

• Parolee
  • Silver Member
Gun sounds
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2002, 01:11:50 PM »
Hey guys
   I have made (borrowed) some awsome gun sounds.  There
is much better success to making the sounds bursts of .5 seconds
than trying to get a good sound in that microsecond of
editing.  You will have to trail and error with the lenght, for
each sound (M2_X 30cal_x 20mm_x)  for the precise sample,
but it can be done.  Sample times vary depending on the
sound.  I dunno why.
  If you want some samples drop me note at
SGDeGalvez@Hotmail.com.

Offline flakbait

• Silver Member
Making Gun Sounds?
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2002, 02:02:03 AM »
That's a problem. Doing a sound in 0.5 second chunks gives you a delay when you cease fire. The guns aren't shooting, but you still hear the firing sound. Half a second isn't much but it can be enough to throw your senses off. Doing the sounds shot by shot lets you not only create a nice gun sound, but you can also vary the firing rate with hardly any effort. I know it's possible to create good gun sounds within a 1/8 second time frame. I've done it several times thus far.

-----------------------
Flakbait [Delta6]

Offline WhiteHawk

• Parolee
  • Silver Member
Making Gun Sounds?
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2002, 12:53:09 AM »
Right on Flakbait
  But if u adjust the length of the gun sound to to eliminate the
problem, it works fine.  Send me a note and i'll give
u some .50's that rock.  SGDeGalvez@Hotmail.com.