Author Topic: 1.06 the best release yet?  (Read 365 times)

Offline Jekyll

• Zinc Member
      • http://www.bigpond.net.au/phoenix
1.06 the best release yet?
« on: March 11, 2001, 03:13:00 AM »
Interested in your opinions here.  Personally, I think that 1.06 is probably the best release of Aces High since the early beta days.

One comment though  Due to monitor restrictions we have the compressed fields of view, making objects smaller than they would really appear at the same range in real life.  Now this would also seem to affect the sun.

Sun glare has been a great addition, but it's a tiny disc and the icon only seems to disappear when you are inside the corona.  Any chance of, say, doubling the size of the apparent sun, or leaving the sun the same size and doubling the zone in which the icon disappears?

Last night I dove down on an opponent, directly out of the sun.  I didn't think he'd be able to see me at all, yet on private he later said that I appeared with only one wing obscured, and the icon still visible.

BTW, don't construe this as a 'but'    IMHO 1.06 has raised the bar a long, long way.  With WBIII due to debut this week, the competition is really starting to 'hot up'.

Congrats HTC  

------------------
When I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child: but when I became a man, I put away childish things.
Chapter 13, verse 11

Offline Westy

• Gold Member
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2001, 08:08:00 AM »
 I have to agree it has some fantastic new features. the audio 6 call, the cloud layers (cc they need to be fixed still), buffets with compression /guns (I need to get closer now. evenmore so than before) nd especially the sun (stil needs tweaks).

The new night time too, is leaps beyond the old one. Better lighting, great moon and the stars. Damned beautiful.

But the thing that caught my attention the most was what happends to the icons under the cloud layer that looks like a weather front. They turn purple black and it gets hard, damn hard to see them. Let alone tell friend from foe. Gives me hope that the icons COULD be altered here to something a bit telling but blaringly so - imo.

And the Jug shines now with the 190-D9   These new D9 pilots like to roll, roll,roll. Well   so does the Jug.

-Westy

Offline Saintaw

• Platinum Member
      • My blog
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2001, 08:10:00 AM »
I say let's wait a few weeks before we give it a "honnest oppinion", but... Had lots of fun too when 1.5 came out. Can't be more delighted that I am now with the Dora finaly in  

Big cloud Box seems a bit "beta" (especially when you're on the edges, that big Gey box is...ugh!). but it's a real blast to fight in the Middle of it!

Forgot to mention: No one is happier than me to see the night came back ? Why ? because I'm half blind 100% of the time, and now at least we're on the same foot for a few minutes  

1.6 Kick a*se, fix the grey box plz  

------------------
MASS/SAW

click  HERE for info on III./JG 5 Eismeer

When I was younger I hated going to weddings.
It seemed that all of my aunts and the grandmotherly types used to  come up to me, poking me in the ribs and cackling, telling me, "You're next."

They stopped that stuff after I started doing the same thing to them at funerals.

[This message has been edited by Saintaw (edited 03-11-2001).]
Saw
Dirty, nasty furriner.

Offline R4M

• Parolee
  • Nickel Member
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2001, 08:41:00 AM »

Originally posted by Jekyll:
Interested in your opinions here.  Personally, I think that 1.06 is probably the best release of Aces High since the early beta days.

For me was 1.03. Finally we got the A5, and still was the old FM (Wich I still sorely miss  ).

After 1.03 I would rank 1.02. New special effects, tanks and M16s, no osties and a wonderfully ballanced ack.

After 1.02 I rank 1.06  

lazs

« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2001, 08:59:00 AM »
kinda soon but so far it is the worst.   I wouldn't mind if it hadn't come out at all.  I dont notice the "shake".  The "black fog" is unplayable.   the perk rides are unbalancing and for every new plane they added they made at least one on the bottom end useless.   the whole set has shifted to very late war and a different style that I don't like.   I would say that soon enough we will see only a few types of planes up and they will be spending their time hiding from each other.

oh yeah.. the clickable six calls are not workable for me.  every single plane that is highlighted gets a six call.   I have never gotten a six call that was genuine either.
lazs

[This message has been edited by lazs (edited 03-11-2001).]

Offline iculus

• Copper Member
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2001, 08:59:00 AM »
This release certainly does give a new feel.

<S>IC

Offline Nashwan

• Silver Member
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2001, 09:21:00 AM »
Nothing in it to attract me.
Every airforce bar the RAF has at least 2 of their best 1944 prop planes available. For the RAF there is 1, the Tempest, and it is perked. I fin it depressing that the only 2 mainstream 1944 prop fighters that look like being perks are the 2 main new British designs, the Tempest and Spit XIV.
Historically they were more common than the Dora, appeared earlier than most of the fighters in AH, yet they will be perked. For an RAf fan there is nothing that can fill the gap left by their omission (or rarity through perking). Without them the RAF plane set is stuck in 1942 or 43, whilst everyone else plays with their late war toys.
The sun glare is good though, but I agree it should affect a greater arc of sky.

Offline Dago

• Parolee
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2001, 10:25:00 AM »
lasz complains again, what a surprise. (not)

1.06 is a blast, the new perk planes arent taking over the arena by a long shot, matter of fact, I rarely seen them. And to those that are using them alot, they will soon run out of points I suspect.  Overall, a nice addition to the game, without a huge unbalancing change or dramatic change to gameplay.

The clouds are cool, but some of the effect needs tweaking.  HTC is already working on this.

Some guys will always focus on any possible negative they can come up with, not show any patience to let the new changes get fine tuned.  I wonder, how dark is it really in their world?

I am going to have to upgrade the system pretty soon, but all in all, I think it is another big step forward.

WTG HTC.

Dago
"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, martini in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!"

Offline aztec

• Silver Member
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2001, 10:44:00 AM »
I gotta admit I wasn't exactly crazy about the perk system being implemented. So far (and it is early on), my concerns about it havn't been realized.
 From what I have seen those flying perks havn't shown an obvious unwillingness to engage the enemy, and as yet do not seem to unbalance gameplay from my perspective.
I do'nt think their price is particularly exorbitant either.
 The planes that are perked are not of much interest to me (somewhat excluding) the 152, so I don't feel much left out of the picture when it comes to them. JMO, aztec

lazs

« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2001, 11:45:00 AM »
dago... perk planes asside the new planes they have added have made  at least as many earlier planes useless.   You will have to admit that the game has shifted to a late war aspect, planeset and flying style.   If you think that the perk and late war addititions will not become even more annoying as people learn how to use them then I would say you are pretty shortsighted.  

I fail to see the point anyway.   Why would anyone wish to fly a perk plane against far inferior planes?
lazs

Offline Dago

• Parolee
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2001, 01:23:00 PM »
One of the  things about AH many have noticed is it has always had a leaning towards late war planes.  I dont think that has changed, nor accelerated noticably.

I have tried some of the new planes, and always end up returning to my original ride.

New planes, like most changes keep the game fresh, with us learning to fight in and against new planes.  

It might be interesting to see what we could come up with if we spent more time offering suggestions and new ideas, rather than just complaining about what we dont like.

Dago

[This message has been edited by Dago (edited 03-11-2001).]
"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, martini in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!"

Offline Fishu

• Gold Member
« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2001, 01:40:00 PM »

Originally posted by Nashwan:
Nothing in it to attract me.
Every airforce bar the RAF has at least 2 of their best 1944 prop planes available. For the RAF there is 1, the Tempest, and it is perked. I fin it depressing that the only 2 mainstream 1944 prop fighters that look like being perks are the 2 main new British designs, the Tempest and Spit XIV.
Historically they were more common than the Dora, appeared earlier than most of the fighters in AH, yet they will be perked. For an RAf fan there is nothing that can fill the gap left by their omission (or rarity through perking). Without them the RAF plane set is stuck in 1942 or 43, whilst everyone else plays with their late war toys.
The sun glare is good though, but I agree it should affect a greater arc of sky.

I like Spitfire Mk.V over IX.
its a mass killer  
definately some credits will be given to uber hispanos.

Offline SKurj

• Gold Member
« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2001, 07:04:00 PM »
I like it, more points possible per trip in me Jug +)
Several 10+ point runs in d25 lately.  

I stay away from cloud layers as its soo dismal under it.  My pc performs fine under the clouds its just I like the sunshine more.  I don't need any more reminders its still winter here arrrrrrrrggghhh  
I think under the cloud layers helps the vehicle drivers though, and I do like a good tank battle occasionally  

SKurj

Offline -aper-

• Nickel Member
« Reply #13 on: March 12, 2001, 12:24:00 AM »
This version is very good! 8 new planes with very nice graphics and accurate FMs. WTG.

Perk system works (may be need some tuning)

As far as later war planes were implemented in AH from first beta no way HTC should complete the later war setup first.
So next planes would be probably:

Ki-84
SpitfireXIV
Yak-3
Bf-109K
G.55

After that they will concentrate their efforts on 1940-43 staff and some new features.

May be the next ground unit will be harvester that harvests spice (perk points)  

lazs

« Reply #14 on: March 12, 2001, 08:23:00 AM »
dago... are you saying that i simply complain without ever offering suggestions for fixes?

are you saying that the game has not shifted even further to late war and farther away from early war?  

barring the gun superiority of the chog and non fighters like the P51... The set was pretty well matched up with maybe only the bottom 2 or 3 planes being useless.  Now the bottom ten are about to be useless and the whole style will change.
lazs