Author Topic: Day of Defeat Version 2.0  (Read 1568 times)

Offline Saurdaukar

• Plutonium Member
      • Army of Muppets
Day of Defeat Version 2.0
« Reply #15 on: February 07, 2002, 11:34:04 PM »
Absolutely phenomenal game... the new standard for FPS's.  Nothing says "hello" like 1200 RPM of 7.92 love in the morning.  :P

Mazz/Mike
<-TFC->

Offline Raubvogel

• Gold Member
« Reply #16 on: February 08, 2002, 12:11:49 PM »
The beach maps really kick ass. I had my surround system jacked up last night and it was very immersive. Watched a guy running in front of me get tossed about 10 ft by an arty shell...was kickass.

Offline Tumor

• Platinum Member
      • Wait For It
« Reply #17 on: February 10, 2002, 12:11:10 AM »
Holy crap.  I read the whole thread seeing "Day of Defeat" and thinking "Firearms" (as FA is coming out with a new vs soon too) lol.  I didn't even know DoD was GETTING an upgrade.  ...sheeeit, 4 more hours before I get off work!
"Dogfighting is useless"  :Erich Hartmann

Offline SirLoin

• Platinum Member
« Reply #18 on: February 10, 2002, 12:47:32 AM »
Can't find anyone logged on for Beach Invasion...I found a few nice MG42 nests to fire from but nobody there..
**JOKER'S JOKERS**

Offline Kratzer

• Gold Member
      • http://www.luftjagerkorps.com/
« Reply #19 on: February 10, 2002, 11:09:10 AM »
I went 72 and 5 on Dog1 as an Allied sniper last night.  The Axis were telling me that they were giving up on trying to defend the bluff, because they only lasted for about 2 seconds. :)  I tried to screenshot it, but I guess I didn't use the right key (thought it was F10?)

I almost started to feel bad.  Almost.

(And NO, I made a point of lying on the beach itself, and not under water like a sissy.)

Offline Wilbus

• Platinum Member
« Reply #20 on: February 11, 2002, 03:59:00 AM »
I love it, got it downloaded the day after it got out, and even then it was near impossible to find a good server to download from. It just blows every other game away, just need to learn how to aim with the single shot rifles,  (M1 ROCKS). MG42 kicks serious but although it is only about half as fast as it was in R/L, probarly for gameplay.

Anybody got a fast enough connection to put up a server for AH community?
Rasmus "Wilbus" Mattsson

Liberating Livestock since 1998, recently returned from a 5 year Sheep-care training camp.

Offline Udie

• Gold Member
« Reply #21 on: February 11, 2002, 12:13:59 PM »
OK way to go, now I've got yet another addiction.   The new version makes this a totaly diferent game for me :)  Waaay better than DOD 1.3 or what ever it was.  I like Caen2 the best I think, that or Overlord.  hehe nothing like gunning down 5-10 at a time w/ that mg42 or the 30 cal for that matter :)

Offline Raubvogel

• Gold Member
« Reply #22 on: February 11, 2002, 01:05:49 PM »
They need some new maps. Every map ends up in a chokepoint at the same spot everytime I play. 5 minutes into the game both sides have 2-3 MGs covering some Death Alley™ and anyone venturing into it gets mowed down. It's really bad on the Avalanche map and the one with the bridge. There should always be more than 1 or 2 ways to get from point A to point B.

Offline Udie

• Gold Member
« Reply #23 on: February 11, 2002, 01:19:30 PM »
That's what grenades and covering fire are for :)  I experienced some really good team play yesterday.  Make that mg42 overheat his barrel or have to change his ammo and you can advance to the next bit of cover.  I have found that throwing a grenade around a corner and running as soon as it explodes is a good tactic for getting from cover a to cover b, with somebody giving covering fire.

I gotta say there are some pretty smart little 12 yr old kids out there acting as Lt's  This one kid yesterday led a team of 12 people to victory with his tactics :)  Gotta love the new ingame voice thing they put in the last HL patch..

Offline Kratzer

• Gold Member
« Reply #24 on: February 11, 2002, 02:06:32 PM »
Some of the maps are good, and some are downright awful with really boring single chokepoints.  I wouldn't feel bad if I never played that Zafod map again.  As an Ally, it is impossible, and as an Axis, it is just boring because the allies have to all come out of one little doorway, so they can never get back into the interesting streets back in the German spawn area.

Offline Soulyss

• Platinum Member
      • Aces High Events
« Reply #25 on: February 11, 2002, 07:33:01 PM »
do I even want to ask how big of a download this mod will be for my poor little modem? ;)
80th FS "Headhunters"
I blame mir.

Offline Kratzer

• Gold Member
« Reply #26 on: February 11, 2002, 07:53:00 PM »
138MB.  Git downloadin'!

Offline Wilbus

• Platinum Member
« Reply #27 on: February 12, 2002, 02:40:32 AM »
Almost every map have multiple ways I think, it's just a matter of finding them :)

Take a look at Thunder for example, like 3 or 4 ways around to the axis camp? (Yes, I am addicted to the Garand now so I allways play Allied) :D
Rasmus "Wilbus" Mattsson

Liberating Livestock since 1998, recently returned from a 5 year Sheep-care training camp.

Offline Kratzer

• Gold Member
« Reply #28 on: February 12, 2002, 12:35:20 PM »
Yeah, most of them do.

But Zafod doesn't.  A couple others are pretty bad.  Some have a chokepoint that doesnt' help either team, and the map just stagnates - nobody can break through.

And one of the beach maps (overlord, I think) has a serious problem in that the Axis are automatically killed by the system if they try to go down onto the beach, but allied snipers can lie under water, where they are impossible to see, and clean the clock of anyone on the bluff without ever having to fear being shot.

Offline Wilbus

• Platinum Member
« Reply #29 on: February 12, 2002, 12:45:57 PM »
Very true, and yes, it is overloard. There is one more where the allies can hardly get out of a very small base without getting shot down and blown up after 10 seconds. But overal, very good maps too.
Rasmus "Wilbus" Mattsson