Author Topic: Killer Cloud Fight  (Read 192 times)

Offline Udie

• Gold Member
Killer Cloud Fight
« on: March 11, 2001, 10:54:00 AM »
 I just wanted to give HT a big S! on the new clouds.  The big grey box bug is annoying, but I'm sure it will get squashed real soon.

I was flying above some clouds yesterday and there was a dot on radar, really close to me.  I didn't see anything so I dipped down into the clouds.  Underneath it was dark and gloomy ( i think we need rain   ) and dark, but I saw a Ju-88 about 1.5 miles ahead of me going the same direction.  I was in a Ta-152 nailed him w/ 4 30mm rounds in his port wing   and quickly zoomed back above the clouds.

After a little while I saw a slightly higher dot to my 11:00.  I was fast so I went to investigate. It turned out to be an la7. EEEK with more E than me. Well what happened next was 10-15 minutes of the most exciting online combat I've had in 6 years.  In and out of the clouds, above and below we danced.  Neither of us could get a solid advantage for very long as both of us were using the clouds to evade gun passses.  

Well the Ta-152 is a little less manuverable than the La-7 so he was slowly developing a better E state than me and was able to stay on top of the fight.  So I decided it was time to dive out and head home.  Only one thing, durring the fight I lost my bearings and ended up diving out to the north, home was to the south.  I didn't realize it until I was at 100ft agl with him 1000 yards on my 6 slowly falling back.  I only had 1/4 tank of gas left so I had no choice but to reverse. That was all he needed and he nailed me with those 20mm, ending my flight. Kill awarded to Towd.

S! Towd that was a realy fun fight.

Udie

Offline iculus

• Copper Member
Killer Cloud Fight
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2001, 04:53:00 PM »
I had a similar engagement.  About 100ft. Under the clouds I found a B-17.  I'd hit and then break above the clouds, then come back down and repeat.  Of course, through the clouds I completly lost my bearings and would come out in front of him etc.  It was a blast.  

<S>IC

Offline brady

• Platinum Member
      • http://personal.jax.bellsouth.net/jax/t/y/tyr88/JG2main.html
Killer Cloud Fight
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2001, 05:48:00 PM »
 i had a 5min fight in and out of the clouds with a spit and a F4U was awesome...I love this game!

------------------

[This message has been edited by brady (edited 03-11-2001).]

Offline StSanta

• Gold Member
Killer Cloud Fight
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2001, 12:14:00 AM »
me and Kirin did a long range sweep in Ta-152's, flying over the clouds. First we engaged a low Spit, who tried to dive away from us. Kiring got lots of ping sbefore the p51 tried to dive through the clouds for cover. i dove straight down, hoping t spot him. there he was, d500 right under my nose. 1 30mm removed vital parts of his plane and kirin got the kill.

Next was a P-51, who dived through the clouds, then back up. After doing it twice, i went below the clouds and Kirin above them. He'd pop up to get away from me only to have Kirin coming sceaming down at him. Then he'd dive back, to have me on his 6. Followed him up and around once, then onto his 6, d500 and the 30mm made short work on him.

Another kill for kirin later, it seemed as if we had irritated the enmy. La-7, Spit, P-51 and two more cons inb on us. I was under the clouds with them directly above me and Kirin was dragging them all over the clouds. we both exited towards friendly field and by the time I got out of clouds, only the La-7 was still with us, so i turned to chase it off kirin's 6.

A very coimmitted pilot he dove after Kirin, straight into Kniggit territory. With kniggits around. He perished a while after, after valiantly trying to survive  .

Ta-152's RULE for sweeps deep into the heart of enemy territory  

------------------
Baron Claus "StSanta" Von Ribbentroppen
9./JG 54 "Grünherz"

"Live to pull, pull to live"

Offline Ripsnort

• Radioactive Member
Killer Cloud Fight
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2001, 07:35:00 AM »
banana and I (and one other con we both lost) had a blast in them!  GAWD they look realistic from the inside travleing up!  The transition outside needs work though.

Thumbs up on the clouds!

Offline Sundog

• Silver Member
Killer Cloud Fight
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2001, 11:48:00 PM »
Cat and Mouse in the clouds is awesome! I was in a P-51B trying to get home when I ran into a P-38, a La-7, and a Dora. By flying back and forth through the cloud layer, I was able to evade all three and successfully RTB. As the P-38 had maintained E on me, and if it had been a clear day, I probably would have been toast.

Not to mention, all that maneuvering through the cloud deck really makes you pay close attention to the artificial horizon now!  

Just think what it will be like if we end up with a storm at night!!! Talk about having to fly on instruments. WTG on the storm clouds HTC!

------------------
Sundog
VMF-111 Devildogs
MAG-33

'Criticism is always easier than craftmanship.'

[This message has been edited by Sundog (edited 03-15-2001).]