Author Topic: More.....letters home.  (Read 456 times)

Offline grizz

• Copper Member
More.....letters home.
« on: February 09, 2002, 04:52:30 PM »
Mom, Dad !  Hi!!!

It's your son again....I've got a 24 hr pass so I'm taking the time to write you now. It could get busy here at anytime. I'm writing from the southern tip of Sweden. Malmo to be exact. Weather is great and life is good !

I got the chance to fly a Yak the other day, that's a Russian fighter in case you were wondering. It was the 9t model, with the 37mm. Sweet little bird to fly, let me tell you!! It's a little lacking in firepower, but when that 37mm hits, you know it.

I went out on patrol with it, though my flight was disguised as an orientation flight. Hope the CO doesn't get wind of it. :) While running the bird through some tests I happened upon a flight of KI61's. We call it the Tony, though I'm not sure why. I can't imagine what 3 of 'em were doing in the Baltic region. I can only assume the IJN  took a wrong turn somewhere and these guys were out on recon......trying to find the way home. Hahaha.

Being one to never pass up an opportunity, I engaged the 3 Ki's co-alt, and managed a few hits on the tail of the trailer. Not enough to bring him down, but he knew I was there now!
These guys were all over the place. I couldn't bring my guns around and then lost sight at one point so I had to extend away a bit to settle down. That's when I notice Sabre in the thick of things. Dad, he was flying the P38...that's the one you like....the Twin engine devil. The Tony's ignored me and went after him.......I couldn't save him. :(
I had extended too far away. I managed one more pass before I had to egress, the Tony diving and rolling and I didn't want to follow him to the deck.

The three couldn't catch me, though the one I was chasing managed to get on my 6, but he was too far back to do any damage. I saw two break off and climbout for altitude, but the third was a little more persistant. When he realized he couldn't catch up he too broke off and headed back the way he'd came. I guess he didn't see me reverse. Must have been too busy looking for his buddies to care about me.  :) I managed to follow him for a bit, staying low and behind and got a shot or two off from about 500 yards. Kind of a lob shot with the 37mm.

Wow!!! I took his tail off? SWEET!!!

The fuel light was on now and I returned to base safely and with a kill under my belt. Things are looking up.

Miss you guys....looking forward to your BBQ's dad, and mom's apple pie. Will write again soon. Right now the guys are looking forward to the dance tonight and there is a pretty little thing here who has caught my eye. :) See you soon.

P.S. I've included a short film of my sortie...hope you like it.!

Sortie film

Offline Wilbus

• Platinum Member
More.....letters home.
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2002, 08:11:40 PM »
Du e störd människa ;)
En väldigt trevlig liten AAR dock :)

Bor du I Malmö???
Rasmus "Wilbus" Mattsson

Liberating Livestock since 1998, recently returned from a 5 year Sheep-care training camp.

Offline grizz

• Copper Member
More.....letters home.
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2002, 09:36:32 PM »
Lol Wilbus....you won't believe how long it took me to translate that!  :)

I think I got it right...:D

Originally posted by Wilbus
Du e störd människa ;)

My wife says the same...but what does she know? :)

En väldigt trevlig liten AAR dock :)

Thanks, glad you liked it. :)

Bor du I Malmö???

No, never been there..though I would like to visit the area sometime. My mothers family is Norwegian...though a long way back.

Offline Wilbus

• Platinum Member
More.....letters home.
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2002, 04:03:46 AM »
OK :)
Rasmus "Wilbus" Mattsson

Liberating Livestock since 1998, recently returned from a 5 year Sheep-care training camp.