Author Topic: Tough Day in the Combat Theater  (Read 915 times)

Offline jhaire

• Zinc Member
      • http://www.msn.com
Tough Day in the Combat Theater
« on: February 12, 2002, 12:20:59 PM »
I decided to take the day off from work to let go of some stress. In addition, I had just set up my new computer (2mhz, 512 megsram, 40g harddrive, 64meg GEForce graphics, Soundblaster live, cable modem) and I wanted to spend some quality time in Aces High.....just to relax a bit. Pick a P51D, grab some alt on the way to France, and just west of the coast I spot a 190. He's low...good. Phone rings. Don't answer it...don't answer it....OK..OK. Flying talking to the phone watching the 190 over my wing tip. Ahhh, this guys is good and I'm distracted. Decide to head west. Suddenly, I watch the 190 do a zoom climb in front of me, kick the rudder and head my way....just a little to my right. Dang, that was impressive. What? No, I'm listening. I just got a bit distacted. Quick glance behind...he's back there but too slow. Put the plane on auto pilot and head west....get up and go downstairs to the kitchen to finish my conversation.  Time passes...conversation ends. Back to the computer. I've traveled sections beyond 40 now and I happen to notice a few remarks from the 190 driver about the "tourist" who was flying west. Yikes! That's me he is talking about. Dang. Offer my aplologies....man...I am so embarrassed. The problem in a small arena is that you can't escape notice. What makes it worse is that I know he would have killed me if I had engaged him. Truth is in the e man, when he did that zoom climb from 1.3 below me I knew I was outclassed. Flew a few more missions but my heart wasn't in it. Logged and went downstairs to read.

A bit later, responded to the impulse to play again. Few in the arena, decided to go LW and had some decent fights flying the A5. Logged off...grabbed some lunch. Read some more.

Afternoon. Log back in and go back to Allies. Following a few spit missions, I decided to up in a 51. At about the same time, my squaddie, Blindman, shows up and takes off in a 51, too. No voice communications...can't get RW working on puter, but so what, well get by using sight and typing. Sounds OK? Wrong. Next thing I know, I'm going north and he's going south. Whip around and locate him diving in on some 190's. Dive in....my god...there are at least 3...and I'm sure there are a few otw that I don't see! As I dive past, Blindman is heading northeast and I'm heading southwest...can't get turned ...too fast....In addition, I notice some of the 190s see me and are trying to gain my six. Go verticle in loop to cut speed and use my rear view to see Blindman's situation. They're all over him. Pull harder! Nose over....Blindman is dead....Can't help....See the name of his killer...hmmm, time to go..this guy would kill me alone, but with two companions....well, don't even think about it. Head north.

Suddenly, on channel one the taunts start. I smile. From the hot stick I read, "Hey Blindman. Who was the other guy?" An answer from another LW flyer, "He's the guy telling Blindman when to turn." I hold my breath. "Catseye," Blindman replies. Hmmmm, I let out a long deep sigh. There is some comfort in anonymity, but with friends like Blindman. OK, the jig is up....I'm a coward.

Then, somewhere in the back of my brain, a little ember begins to burn. Hey! I'm not a coward! I can fight with anyone in here! I just need to be more aggressive. They will fear the name of Catseye. The ember has grown into a bonfire of biblical proportions. Looking back it all seems rather delusional. But, not at the time.

And I was very aggressive. Thus began one of the longest afternoons and evenings in my AH career. I think the LW pilots were getting in line to shoot down Catseye. Of course, the first one to shoot me down was the hot stick I had just avoided. "Happy now," I replied. Dang, don't type on channel one. Bad! Keep your mouth shut and endure the pain.

I couldn't win a fight to save my life. Time after time I pulled a good lead turn only to find a 190 had reversed faster. One thing I found out quickly...those 190's don't mind shooting a 51 in the face. Well, can't have that. Gotta avoid the headon. But jeez, you sure do lose a lot of e pulling to avoid. Of course, they reverse again...on my six....and that awful sound of parts coming off my plane. Time after time after time.

"Give it up," I said to myself. "No! One more mission and you'll kill someone!" Hello. Look at the data. You're totally outclassed in here. "No! I can do this," said the insane man living inside the dark places of my head. So...the dying went on and on. By the time I finished my last mission (a sweet one organized by Hangtime and yes I got killed again), I was a quivering mass of raw nerves.

Logged off. Go downstairs. Sink onto the couch under the sympathetic eyes of my wife .....who has quietly been watching the Olympics, and from time to time asking, "Are you OK up there?" "Thanks honey," I said. "Thanks for listening to me and putting up with my grunts and groans and the occasional profanity." "Yeah," she answers. "I only heard the GD word about .....well, I lost count at 12."

"Well that's it for me," I replied. "I'm done with that stupid game. I've been getting my bellybutton kicked all night. It's humiliating and I'm too old to be getting this upset about a stupid computer game. I'm done. Half of those guys do things you would never do with a real plane. And another thing......."

She listens with the patience of a wise woman who is deeply in love with a man who can't seem to get beyond 12 years old, even as he moves deeper into 50. Then, she gets up and goes into the kitchen and comes back with two beers....opened, of course. Once I was off the computer, the night improved considerably!

And I'm sticking to my decision. I've had it! I'm not playing anymore until tonight, and not until at least 8......Central time!
« Last Edit: February 12, 2002, 01:36:29 PM by jhaire »

Offline Nifty

• Platinum Member
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2002, 12:42:26 PM »
best read I've had in awhile!  

and I'm sure you've shot me down before, I've seen your name in the buffer.  :)  don't let that go to your head though.  everyone shoots me down!  I just sometimes get a few of them first.  :D
proud member of the 332nd Flying Mongrels, noses in the wind since 1997.

Offline marcof

• Zinc Member
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2002, 02:15:08 PM »
Great Post, got to be the best post I have ever read on AH Boards,

Marcof. 249 RAF

Offline Pepe

• Silver Member
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2002, 02:44:54 PM »
jhaire....been there, done that   :D

Pepe

Offline hblair

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.cybrtyme.com/personal/hblair/mainpage.htm
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2002, 03:34:15 PM »
Great post jhaire. Thanx. :)

Offline eskimo2

• Platinum Member
      • hallbuzz.com
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2002, 03:56:01 PM »
Great post!

eskimo

Offline Löwe

• Silver Member
      • http://www.geocities.com/duxfordeagles
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2002, 05:38:57 PM »
Salute jhaire! Great reading!

Offline Hangtime

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2002, 05:42:38 PM »
Hiya Cats..

Great post. Really oustanding.. sums up the frustration of surviving in that enviornment rather nicely...

Just one lil thing I'd like to add... when we ran that misson I was completely confident we'd lay waste to our target...  you and Shane and Keypatha took that base apart in less than 40 seconds. I never even toggled my ords.. you three guys just plain tore the hell outta that base, and sealed it with excellent precision. Last time I looked you had 3 kills on that sortie before I augered.. and I never got a chance to line up a shot.

Every time I see you in icon range I know I got a good stick in the neighboorhood.. and that makes it that much easier to commit to the turnfight I'd otherwize have to avoid due to the LW's exceptional teamwork skills in this setup. WTFG.. on the BBS and in the CT.. keep it up. :)

The price of Freedom is the willingness to do sudden battle, anywhere, any time and with utter recklessness...

...at home, or abroad.

Offline CatsEye

• Zinc Member
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2002, 08:13:26 PM »
Thanks Nifty, Marcof, Pepe, hblair (great work btw), eskimo2, Lowe, and especially, Hangtime. In spite of my bad day, I love this sim and the community. Salute to each of you, and friend or foe, I look forward to seeing you in the virtual skies.

Dang, I'm going to get the hang of posting on this BB yet.:)

Offline Higgins

• Zinc Member
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2002, 01:04:26 PM »
Catseye,

Hello!  I really enjoyed reading your post.  It's one of the best I've read in here.  I'm happy to be one of the ones in the CT room at the time because it does to some merit to what you go through.  I fully understand and at times I get a little frustrated too.  I was the one who made the comment about "He's telling Blindman when to turn".  I hope you didn't take that the wrong way.  It's hard to know the implection and the angle of what someone is typing when you can't hear their voice or see thier face.  I said that to be funny because everytime I see the name "Blindman" I think of Stevie Wonder flying a P51.  When someone asked who was with Blindman...I couldn't resist saying the guy telling him when to turn...picturing you saying...quick left...no right...up..climb!! Fire! Fire! Fire...no bailout!...to Stevie Wonder...hehehe.  Sorry I couldn't help that one.  Just trying to be funny.  I've had a lot of great times in CT recently.  It reminds me of flying with the Musketeers back in FA1.5 in the full realistic arena.  Seems that a more mature group of poeple are on and it's a whole lot easier to joke around and enjoy the time we have online.  (Shane exluded..hehehe.  Although I do try my best to understand him...He is a hell of a good stick...attitude withstanding).

Anyhow I was one of the Luftwaffle guys yesterday...(The stupid guy on the deck turnfighting in a 109).  I started getting a little frustrated because there were several times that I would get involved in a hell of a great fight (against Hazed, or StSanta, or Kidcol, or Catseye) and then someone else (usually StSanta..you dog..heheh) would come screaching in at high speed in a Mustang or P-38 and make Boom and Zoom passes at me over and over.  I kept trying to HO them because that's about the only thing you can do when turning turn after turn..trying to bleed off speed and gain alt during a scissors or dive in and quicksnap roll, ect. and the opponent....only to see 1.7,,,1.4,,,1.1...750,,,,250,,,P-38 bearing straight at you guns blazing.  It's ruined a number of just plain awsome fights...then I go to take off and 150 MPH in the air off the runway get gangbanged by 2, 3, and even 4 cons without being able to fight...then here.."You LW guys just HO us...what's wrong with you"...lol.  I just have to take a deep breath, relax....Hell take back off and get killed without alt or energy a couple 4 or 5 more times in a row until I get lucky enought to get 3k or so and get into another tangle.  Anyhow (I know this is getting to be a long rant...almost done) after all that discouragement you get into a totally great fight..starting at 10k or so and tangling down to the deck...back and forth...your smoking...then he is smoking...your flying without a rudder....left aileron missing....you've seen parts shred off his plane and your still somehow in the fight...maybe even a friend of his has shown up and is tangling around...your down to your last rounds and somehow either he augers....he friend has too much energy, is too excited, misjudges your speed, overshoots and pounds into the ground; or better yet makes one critical mistake and "BOOM!" one of your 20mms land a solid hit.  You pause...recover yourself and try to limp back home and what an accomplishment it is.  The best part is when your opponent congratulates you and you discuss some of the pros and cons of each of your moves.  The gentlemen are few and far between, but they are there.  Hell even If I am the one to go "BOOM!" in the end...if it's a great fight with a great opponent...its still the best.  I can have only 1 of those a night and it makes all the Shanes....Gangbanging....vulc hing...seem senseless.  That's what I pay my $15 a month for and why you will see me in CT tonight if I have the time.  I'd like to thank Catseye, Kidcol, Spec3, Wmaker, Pepe, 441, AMD, Hazed, Hangtime, StSanta, Thorns, Blindman just to name a few for the great time the last few days.  I salute Hblair, Nifty, eskimo, 10bears, marcof and a bunch others for the times earlier this month.  I salute all of you gents and look forward to battling, defending, and crackin jokes with you guys in the future!  

Sincerly,

Higgins_Mskt

P.S.  Sorry for the length of this.  I don't post much...trying to make

Offline Nifty

• Platinum Member
« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2002, 01:13:58 PM »
Higgins!  Just don't tell anyone that I was going to let your goon get away cuz I was being nice...  uhmm, everyone else can read this too???   damn...  uhh...  :o  

Oh leave me alone guys!  I killed him!!!  ;)

by the way, altitude on the dot dar fixed yet?
proud member of the 332nd Flying Mongrels, noses in the wind since 1997.

Offline CatsEye

• Zinc Member
« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2002, 09:31:19 PM »
Higgins.....I was not offended by your comment at the time it came across the buffer and your explanation gave me a good laugh. Salute!

Offline hazed-

• Gold Member
      • http://combatarena.users.btopenworld.com
« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2002, 08:37:45 AM »
Great post catseye!, really enjoyed that :D

what a woman!! she sits quietly listening to you talking AH then cracks open a couple of beers????????

SHES AN ANGEL SENT FROM HEAVEN ;)

Offline Saintaw

• Platinum Member
      • My blog
« Reply #13 on: February 15, 2002, 02:13:26 AM »
What happened after the Beers ? ;) ??? :confused:
Saw
Dirty, nasty furriner.

Offline Grizzly

• Nickel Member
« Reply #14 on: February 15, 2002, 02:32:19 AM »
Catseye you old dog, I never knew you had it in ya. A great post that captures the experiences most of us have had... for me just about every night (too old to learn yanno).

(ps: tell Mrs. Haire I think she's an angel)