Author Topic: Gunsights - How to read them ?  (Read 2068 times)

Offline Fester'

• Parolee
  • Copper Member
Gunsights - How to read them ?
« Reply #75 on: March 13, 2002, 04:00:18 PM »
thanks again Rude and Fester .

Out of curiosity and respect for Fester's and Rude's opinions I tried the single dot.

WHAT A DIFFERENCE !!!

Thanks guys!

Im working on a training document, tho I think, as you've you've already seen, this is a very simple process that only gets uselessly complicated with a lot of words.  

At anyrate I've got a pretty decent idea for an article on this process and it will save someone from having to read through this whole thread to get to the pertinent information.

Thanks again guys

Offline eskimo2

• Platinum Member
      • hallbuzz.com
« Reply #76 on: March 13, 2002, 04:40:06 PM »
Just read this thread for the first time...

I have never used a gunsight other than the stock version supplied by HTC.  I actually have to think about it to picture what it looks like because all I remember is the dot.  Gunnery is probably my strongest point as a sim fighter pilot.  I usually end tours with a fighter mode hit % of over 10% and have even exceeded 20%, and I waste a lot of ammo stripping ack (only hits on enemy planes count as "hits" everything else is a miss).  Not that stats mean all that much...

Anyway, I have to agree that air to air gunnery is instinctual and based on experience.
Basically, in a difficult deflection shot I try to give a bit too much lead, fire, and then ease off on the lead, hoping that the enemy flies through my burst.      

eskimo

Offline Andy Bush

• Copper Member
      • http://www.simhq.com  (Contributing Editor - Air Combat Corner)
The Bottom Line
« Reply #77 on: March 16, 2002, 08:57:11 AM »
Sparks

Good work! Glad to hear that your making life miserable for all the bandits out there! :)

I think my point has been lost in all  the bantering back and forth. Here it is again, just so everyone understands.

1. This is a Help and Training Forum, not necessarily an Advanced Techniques Forum.

2. A good background in ballistics and the requirements for the lead angle solution are essential to developing a "feel" for gunnery.

Teaching gunnery in RL is no different than any instruction in any subject. We use a "walk before run" approach. My concern here was that low experience folks would get the wrong idea about how to improve their gunnery. Hearing that others were using the "dot" technique, these newbies might want to jump ahead to that technique without getting a good grounding in the basics.

Because without that grounding, use of the "dot" sight is going to be a frustrating experience for the new guy. In real life, we don't put 16 year old new drivers behind the wheel of a Dodge Viper and expect them to operate it the way it was designed to be driven. If we did, it's true that they would eventually figure it out...but that's no way to have folks learn.

Having said all of that...what is the bottom line?

I use the dot sight too. That's why I was able to post one as quickly as I did. But, I don't teach it or recommend it unless I know the recipient has the training to understand how to use it.

Andy

Offline Fester'

• Parolee
  • Copper Member
« Reply #78 on: March 16, 2002, 09:50:51 AM »
A good background in ballistics and the requirements for the lead angle solution are essential to developing a "feel" for gunnery

Good points Andy

I feel exactly the same way.  Establish a foundation, and use that solid foundation to grow from.

Hope to see ya up sometime.  And I hope there are no hard feelings.

Joe

Offline SlpShot

• Zinc Member
« Reply #79 on: March 18, 2002, 03:59:04 PM »
Fester,

I am looking forward to reading your article (I hope you are still working on it).

I could have used it yesterday when I had you in my sights. I missed the lead angle (got a couple of pings) and you reversed on me immediatly and only took 5 seconds to rip my wings off :D

I obvioulsy didn't know it was you until you shot me down, but it gave me a chuckle for awhile. Hurry up with that article.

Offline SlapShot

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #80 on: April 09, 2002, 04:03:45 PM »
Fester  ...

Just wondering if you are still working on your article ???
SlapShot - Blue Knights

Guppy: "The only risk we take is the fight, and since no one really dies, the reward is the fight."

Offline Fester'

• Parolee
  • Copper Member
« Reply #81 on: April 10, 2002, 09:29:00 PM »
Yes I am.  Right now Im working a ton of hours out of state but that should change soon. Not far from my mind tho.

Offline SlapShot

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #82 on: April 11, 2002, 09:28:48 AM »
GREAT !!!

But .... I have noticed that you working "a ton of hours" has not impacted your ability to shoot down a whole bunch of planes ... :D

Less killing = more writing !!!
SlapShot - Blue Knights

Guppy: "The only risk we take is the fight, and since no one really dies, the reward is the fight."