Author Topic: 0.5 sec delay in AH sounds ?  (Read 273 times)

Offline Vector

• Nickel Member
0.5 sec delay in AH sounds ?
« on: February 14, 2002, 12:45:50 PM »
Hi

After installed Win98, directx 8.1 and my Abit SA6 mobo's sound drivers (AC'97 sound chip in board), I got about half a second delay in my all AH sounds. Running dxdiag displays error message "ERROR: problem getting extra sound info result code = 0x8878000a (The request failed because DirectSound resources, such as a priority level were already in use by another caller)".
I recall some program warning that "unable to use hardware buffer, using software buffer instead" or something like that. Using software buffer could cause that delay to sounds, right?
When I used win2k with AH (with directx 8.1) everything was normal. What possibly could cause this?
I've tried with driver that came from mobo's cd and latest drivers from Abit's homepage, still delay...

Thanks!

Offline Lephturn

• Silver Member
      • http://lephturn.webhop.net
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2002, 12:48:09 PM »
D'oh, you went from Win2k back to Win98?  Why the downgrade?

It sounds like you may have some sort of a resource conflict going on.  Go to Start | Programs | Accessories | System Tools | System Information and have a look at your IRQ distribution for any conflicts.

Offline Vector

• Nickel Member
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2002, 03:44:33 PM »
Hi Leph

I needed to install win98 in order to get my ch-throttle work again. Of course I installed win2k too, win98 for playing and win2k for serious working (and not so serious).
It seems that my sound chip uses irq 11. Also ACPI IRQ holder (2 times..?) and ISDN card uses same irq. Windows won't let me change irq althought there is irq 3 free, doh! Reinstallation didn't help. Gotta check my bios settings if sound chip's irq is defined there.

Offline Sox62

• Silver Member
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2002, 11:07:12 AM »
Which video driver are you using?
I experienced some sound anomalies with 23.11 Nvidia drivers(Very low framerates,distorted-delayed sound).Went back to the 21.83 drivers,sound problem was cured.

Offline Lephturn

• Silver Member
      • http://lephturn.webhop.net
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2002, 11:39:08 AM »
You cannot manually re-assign IRQ's to PCI cards.  To change what IRQ a PCI device is using, you need to move what slot it is in.

What mainboard do you have, and what expansion cards are in which slots numbered from the top (agp slot) down?  That combined with your mainboard manual should allow you to find a different PCI slot for one of those two devices that won't cause a conflict.