Author Topic: I Suck...An y Help Out There?  (Read 1112 times)

Brethon

I Suck...An y Help Out There?
« on: November 01, 1999, 06:48:00 PM »
I've been flying for a bit now.....about 25 sorties under my belt.....Kills?  1 kill and 1 asisst.....Answer, Do I suck, or does everyone else rule the earth at flying?  I suspect the former, not the latter.  Basicly what I'm saying is, can somebody help me learn to fly?  I'd like to thank Hollywd, he helped me along, I now am a better pilot...but when it comes to turn and role dogfighting, I'm still the bottom of the pile.  If ANYONE can give me hints or tips as to how I can improve, please tell me, or E-Mail me at am-i@home.com  Thanks

------------------
"Do unto others....and get your head blown off." -Brethon

Offline Mark Luper

• Silver Member
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 1999, 06:54:00 PM »
Brethon,
   I am far from being the "hot stick" in this sim, but I have learned a few things over the years and if you would like I will be happy to help you anyway I can.

I normally fly most evenings, central time here, except for monday nights and some thursdays. Those are my WB squad nights. If you see my name in the radio buffer on  any evening just contact me and we can do a couple of things I think may help you.

MarkAT
MarkAT

Keep the shiny side up!

Sorrow[S=A]

« Reply #2 on: November 01, 1999, 07:56:00 PM »
HAHA! not a hot stick Mark?
I remember quite well that merge/deflection shot on a B17 were you came out of _nowhere_
in a p51 and spranged a B17's wing right off going 400+mph in a dive! Whether he was watching me or not.. your too humble!  

------------------
If your in range, so is the enemy.

Offline Jochen

• Copper Member
      • http://www.jannousiainen.net
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 1999, 01:42:00 AM »
Bret, don't despair!

Most of the pilots in AH beta arena are olds sticks from other online sims and some have several years of stick time behind them.

I started Warbirds just under a year ago. At first I died a lot, I mean a lot, even when I was flying a Spitfire which is regarded as the best newbie plane in that game.

Now, after countless flying hours and books about air combat, I think I'm getting hang on this flying thing. I fly mainly Fw 190 and yesterday I formed a squad in Warbirds.

Getting started is the hardest part but when your experience grows, your kills will eventually start to pile up, just hang on there!

Best part of these sims is the challenge, you can always improve.

------------------
jochen

jochen Gefechtsverband Kowalewski

Units: I. and II./KG 51, II. and III./KG 76, NSGr 1, NSGr 2, NSGr 20.
Planes: Do 17Z, Ju 87D, Ju 88A, He 111H, Ar 234A, Me 410A, Me 262A, Fw 190A, Fw 190F, Fw 190G.

Sieg oder bolsevismus!

Offline tshred

• Copper Member
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 1999, 01:57:00 AM »
Brethon,

First start from at least 2 fields away from the action, grab all the altitude you can, usually safe at 20,000 and above(only couple well known 109 pilots can usually be found at that alt). Find the action, only engage if the number of pilots on your side equal or are greater than the number of enemy. Use diving attacks and your speed to zoom climb away, come back for another attack. Works good in P51 and 109, but watch your speed in 109, and use trim to recover if you compress(controls become unresponive). Until you get a better grasp on combat, these simple tactics work quite well.

ts

Offline tshred

• Copper Member
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 1999, 01:58:00 AM »
oops, double post

[This message has been edited by tshred (edited 11-02-1999).]

Luckyone

« Reply #6 on: November 02, 1999, 02:16:00 AM »
I'd say, you are on your learning curve and I hope you keep on learning and wanting to play this sim/game. It has a good history and a real peaple perspective behind it. This is one Great fun to come out of 1999! I can hardly wait for tomarrow's developments.

Offline Packrat

• Zinc Member
« Reply #7 on: November 02, 1999, 05:31:00 AM »
Dont give up. This is my first flying sim and I have boosted many scores out there.   Most people here are VERY helpful,don't be afraid to ask for help.Someone will answer you.Be patient it will come with time.If you want a boost look at my score,but I have fun.

------------------
Packrat
1. Any small North American rodent that collects a great variety of small objects
2.Slang A collector of miscellaneous objects

Offline Heater

• Silver Member
« Reply #8 on: November 02, 1999, 05:57:00 AM »
Brethon
The learning curve is a steep one but do not give up..If I am on-line all you need to do is ask and I will help you any way I can. I am by no means an "ACE" I just love the game.

Cheers

------------------
!!! Heater AT !!!
Shit Happens All The Time

If you have any trouble sounding condescending, find a Unix user to show you how it's done."

HiTech is a DWEEB-PUTZ!
I have multiple personalities and none of them like you !!!

dawg

« Reply #9 on: November 02, 1999, 07:15:00 AM »
Brethon

The warbirds site has some good training pages for someone just getting started. Different sim but same principles and maneuvers. If you really want to sink your teeth into this stuff buy Fighter Combat by Robert Shaw- great book but a bit of a dry read.

www3.imagiconline.com/training

also just noticed that Krod is preparing a new training page but I don't think it's finished yet
 www.nitro.co.za/propsim

[This message has been edited by dawg (edited 11-02-1999).]

[This message has been edited by dawg (edited 11-02-1999).]

Offline Camel

• Zinc Member
« Reply #10 on: November 02, 1999, 07:04:00 PM »
No Ace here, but willing to help if you see me around... anytime bud.

Im trying to help a buddie from work get into flight sims, and i know how fustrating it can get.

There are a couple of things i would consider important for the new guy to understand and get comfortable with. beyond just basic setups.

First, understand what each plane is capable of. AH is a good place for this, in that it has a limited plane set right now. Also appreciate E states(recognising them comes in time)

Second, get comfortable with the veiw system, and use it! You must know whats going on around you. I like to keep it simple, the only thing mapped on my stick are flaps. I use the #pad for veiwing with my left hand, and it basicaly stays planted there.(its sorta strange, im left handed but fly with my right) It takes some time getting used to looking around alot, but it will become second nature no matter how you have it setup.

Third, you can always ask for help. Many friendly, helpful folks around these high quality sims.  

Camel

------------------
The harder they come, the harder they fall, one and all.

Peter Tosh

Offline rosco-

• Copper Member
« Reply #11 on: November 02, 1999, 11:01:00 PM »
  I always found the best way to learn is in 1 on 1 situations, where the other guy knows his stuff and is willing to help and not just club you to death. I probably couldnt teach you much, I am just learning the ropes myself, this sim is tough!, but I would gladly accept a 1 on 1 fight from anyone.

dotsie

« Reply #12 on: November 03, 1999, 05:07:00 PM »
A good idea might be to ask one of the "hot sticks" can you sit in on one of their sorties using the .join command...ull see first hand the techniques they use. Im sure they would answer any questions u might have.

The best way to learn though is experience..If your killed ask yorself why u were and see what might have prevented it. Take each plane at a time, I suggest the P51 because if u do get into trouble with a bit of alt u can just point the nose down and outrun them (except another P51 that is).

Find out each planes good and bad points. The 51 has an ordinary climb rate and if u loose too much speed in a turn fight at low level ur shrecked, but, in a dive it retains its ability to turn and locks up well after others so is excellent for lightning fast strikes against low cons. If a con spots u and begins to break dont be tempted to follow him down and waste all ur e...especially if he has buddies below or ur near an enemy base...try put a few on his tail and reclimb using the speed u built up. Give yourself a minimum alt to not go below and if u feel the need dont be afraid to run from the combat area gain some alt and start to make runs again. U have a lot of fuel so take your time.

Always try to enter a fight with an altitude advantage. It gives you so many more options. You control the fight and should hoard it. eg. You make a run at a con and miss, as you reclimb hes following u up...presuming you have read his e state correctly (speed) he will have no chance of catching you. What to do here is as he approaches stall loop over and come down on him..timed right u should catch him almost at a stand still. Its these little tricks of seeing what advantage u have over a guy and putting it to use effectivly that will win fights.

Target selection is also important. Dont climb to a fight with a fast spit..he will rip u a new one in a second if hes anyway good. In predator terms pick the weakest prey. ie. slow and doesnt see you comin. This requires patience, positioning and keeping your head on a swivel, jumping on a con that chasing a friendly or coming after him as he climbs out of his run is a great way to get kills, they are slow and are so fixated they never see it coming. Be careful though, even if your flying happy and high at 22k there could be someone with a greater advantage stalking you..constantly check your 6 or next thing you know Ypsilon will thunder out of the strtosphere in his moon rocket and make you weep like a woman  

Ive been playing online sims for about 4 months. At the start i reaked but with time, learning from mistakes and gaining from success I improved. Its like your man said.."if u can keep your head while those about u loose theirs ull top the AH score board"...quote maybe a bit wrong there  

Dotsie