Author Topic: pressureized cockpit what had um what didnt?  (Read 1332 times)

-towd_

pressureized cockpit what had um what didnt?
« on: November 01, 1999, 08:55:00 PM »
was just wonderin what planes had this and how much of a advatage it would be?

Offline juzz

• Copper Member
      • http://nope.haha.com
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 1999, 11:03:00 PM »
Out of the current planeset, only the Bf109G10 and Spitfire MkIX had the option I think.

It was only used on reconnaissance or high-altitude interceptor versions, like Bf109's with GM1 injection.

The advantage is you can fly to very high altitudes (40,000ft+ ?) without the pilot going into a coma and dying.

Something that might be worth modelling in AH is oxygen supply and damage to the oxygen systems.

[This message has been edited by juzz (edited 11-01-1999).]

Luckyone

« Reply #2 on: November 02, 1999, 01:25:00 AM »
Oh man, This could get really complicated. Please code on!!!!

Werewolf

« Reply #3 on: November 02, 1999, 02:08:00 AM »
No way the 109G-10 shouldn't have a pressurized cockpit. The Ta 152-H1 (not the H0)got a pressurized cockpit. But with pressurized cockpit bailout got more complicated too.

Werewo
JG 301 "Heimatverteidigung"

-towd_

« Reply #4 on: November 02, 1999, 12:09:00 PM »
need to add this to the demands for 38s i do know they had um hehehehe cant wait got to have that 38!!!!

-blk--

« Reply #5 on: November 02, 1999, 09:14:00 PM »
  You sure about the P-38's having pressurization?  Basically, I thought the only WW2 aircraft that had it were the occasional exotic fighter (Ta-152H), and some of the heavy aircraft (C-46, B-29...).

I don't remember seeing any pressure bulkheads in the museum's Lightning when we reinstalled the inboard fuel tanks (which are close enough to what would have to be the pressure vessel I doubt I'd have missed it).  Also, I doubt the canopy (that rolled up and swung up) could handle very much diffy (differential pressure)...

Either way, I don't think AH should even consider modelling it for many, many moons.  It's just not that big a deal, you basically set it at takeoff, then occasionally glance to check the cabin altitude, and the differential pressure.  Let's put it this way, in my admittedly low, hours flying pressurized aircraft, you set the dial to maintain cabin altitude at, say 8,000 feet.  And you're pretty much done.  You might glance down at the gage, but it's just not a big deal...  Now, as a creature comfort, it means the world, but I'm talking about the way it would apply to AH.

blk  (AT)

-towd_

« Reply #6 on: November 03, 1999, 12:05:00 AM »
. The P-38D featured a new low-pressure oxygen system, which supplanted the old high-pressure oxygen system of earlier versions. This system became standard on all subsequent production models.

this i ment the cabin was pressurised dosent it? a mask would not be termed hi or low pressure right?

here is my source
 http://www.csd.uwo.ca/~pettypi/elevon/baugher_us/p038-01.html  

also the cealing was listed at 39,000 ft for the d model (real early) that is around blood boilin point isnt it? the l model shurly went to the 40s it must have had a pressureised cabin no?

Offline juzz

• Copper Member
      • http://nope.haha.com
« Reply #7 on: November 03, 1999, 04:24:00 AM »
That's talking about the pilot oxygen system, not cabin pressurisation. I guess it refers to the storage pressure of the oxygen tanks.

-towd_

« Reply #8 on: November 03, 1999, 10:03:00 AM »
i stand corrected thanks

=Jagr=

« Reply #9 on: November 04, 1999, 12:02:00 AM »
Actually there were quite a lot of 109's with pressurized cockpits used.   In general the LW would have the primary production variant with an even numbered designation and a parallel production of the pressurized version.  i.e.  The G1 was pressurized version of G2, G3 and G5 were also pressurized versions of the G4 and G6 respectively.   As far as my sources go, the G5 was the last pressurized variant produced.  The G10 should not be pressurized.

chisel

« Reply #10 on: November 04, 1999, 12:57:00 AM »
Don't forget, the K-4 was pressurized.

-towd_

« Reply #11 on: November 04, 1999, 02:28:00 AM »
i thought the g10s were a effort to bring older 109s up to close to the standard of the  k4s so really they werent new planes at all?
is this right? and if it was a overhaul why would they remove the cabin pressure when the k4 had it?

chisel

« Reply #12 on: November 04, 1999, 08:36:00 PM »
K-4 was the pressurized version of the K-2.

Why did'nt they call it a K-3?

PS;

I've always wondered about that myself.From my reading the K series was based on the G-10 with improved streamlining/engine.

Robert Grisnell

"The Bf109k was the product of a standardization policy instituted by the RLM to reduce the number of variants and sub-types in the various basic airframes in use by the Luftwaffe. The plan was to select a basic varient,incorporating all the improvements that had evolved through the earlier sub-types,and establish a standard aircraft which would be manufactured by each of the aircraft plants involved in that paticular design."

The G-10 was in use in April 44 the K series in Oct 44. How could the G-10 be based on the K when it came out first?

Jagr/Kats?

[This message has been edited by chisel (edited 11-04-1999).]