Author Topic: Repost of buff gun strength "study"  (Read 699 times)

Offline DanielMcIntyre

• Nickel Member
      • http://None as yet
Repost of buff gun strength "study"
« Reply #30 on: October 31, 2001, 02:03:00 AM »
Occasionally I'll take a lanc or b17 up to do some bombing.  And these guys spits or whatever will come climbing up to me with a closure rate of almost nothing.  Then they'll sit there on my 6 slowly gaining and at 1.2k i'll popem like lil cherry's and wonder wtf they were thinking?

Other times a guy'll hang back and climb above me and I pretty much know whats gonna happen. It's very difficult to scored hits when someones diving on you from an angle off you 6 or 12.

Also the Lanc belly attack works well but some guys will chuck in full rudder and mess your attack up terribly leaving you hanging slow on their 6 oclock.

Basically if you wanna survive a buff attack against a good buffer, get 2 - 3k above and slightly in front and vertical dive on them aiming for the cockpit the whole time which will put rounds nice and neatly along the entire length of the fuselage.

Done properly the buff will more then likely exploded before you pass the tail gun.

BTW B17 ball turret is extremely difficult to aim if your coming up pure vertical and its only 2 .50's.  Also theres not alot of ammo in them either.

Offline Wotan

• Platinum Member
« Reply #31 on: October 31, 2001, 07:11:00 AM »
Urchin has 17 kills and has been killed 3 times against the B-17G.

Urchin has 7 kills and has been killed 0 times against the B-26B.

Urchin has 14 kills and has been killed 3 times against the Lancaster III.

Urchin has no problem killing buffs like all you "experten". When he died from them 6 times I bet he went at them no differently when he killed them the other 39 times.

While I at one point used to get pissed if I repeated the same successful attack 50 times and died once. I now just take it with a grain of salt.

I'm a firm believer that every "whine" doesn't deserve a reply. But I certainly understand what hes talking about. Not everyone who dies to a buff goes at umm ded 6 or flies them hiszooka planes.

When I first came to AH I remember the "every round modelled" was a big selling point to me. I had assumed that every "ping" would be as well. Thats odvisouly not true. A single .50 cal couldn't destroy an a8 like it was hit with thors hammer.   :rolleyes:

I'm not a "ballistics" or "FM" expert but I know when I die from a buff its the same 99% of the time. I'm hit after I make a pass as I am really fast and breaking away. Those are rare yes but enough to bunch the leather thong.

Much like the colisions here I guess I'll have to live with it.

I don't think Urchin is an "idiot" or "stupid". Hes a great guy always putting himself at risk to clear a squaddie or country mate. There are just some things that get to him just like they do a lot of others. Hes trying to understand things that are not able to be understood.

Also hes no 190a8 novice:

Urchin has 69 kills and has been killed 13 times in the Fw 190A-8.

just my .2 cents

edit typos but didn't get umm all
--------------------

Aces High
'Wotan'
Warbrds 3
'wubke-'
Hptm. Wotan Wubke
Rot 3 fw-190d9 Dora

Im Auftrage der Reichsbahn
(By order of the State Railway)

[ 10-31-2001: Message edited by: Wotan ]

Offline Vulcan

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #32 on: October 31, 2001, 07:03:00 PM »
Problem is Wotan HTC have made it very clear that buff guns are not UBER'd... many times.

The "buffs are uber" argument is frustrating, because they are not. Even Urchins on k/d represents that!

Yet he takes one example, where the facts are very murky, and cries wolf.

IMHO this happens way too often on AH. People need to sit down, check their film, do the numbers, then if there is a clear issue raise their hand.

Offline DanielMcIntyre

• Nickel Member
      • http://None as yet
« Reply #33 on: October 31, 2001, 11:54:00 PM »
"Breaking away and get hit" might be lag Wotan?