Author Topic: Landing frustrations...  (Read 477 times)

Offline Khavren

• Zinc Member
Landing frustrations...
« on: February 22, 2002, 03:56:04 AM »
It's only been until recently that I can successfully pull off carrier landings....granted took a lot of practicing and was rather pleased with myself when I could throttle up for a Touch & Go if I failed to catch the tailhook.

However now I find myself lacking when it comes to landing on the ground.  I dunno what has changed, and to be honest I don't understand what is happening.  I was fully capable of successfully landing at higher airspeeds (I'd kick the rudder to reduce airspeed during approach) and granted sometimes I'd bounce down the runway, I'd still land successfully.

Now however, I'll touchdown as delicately as a ballerina, and >BLAMO!!!!KAPUT!KAPUT!KAPUT!<    I'm Dead or Ditched.

Now I'm no expert...but I've been speculating...could I be approaching too slow?  I'm not seein how that could be an issue (because I've been a virtual glider in a pony successfully landing...after a lot of praying...'course with the engine shut down there's no engine torque).

Offline oboe

• Plutonium Member
Landing frustrations...
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2002, 06:35:05 AM »
You could be pancaking - you're the best judge of whats happening.    Carrier aircraft landing speeds are generally lower than land-based a/c, so if you are coming into a land base you can safely add 10-15.   I think I try to put it down around 120 mph.

One thing you could try is determining stall speed of the a/c you're having trouble with.   Get airborne, set up landing config (flaps & gear) hit auto level and cut power.  Note the airspeed when the plane goes into a stall, and stay above that speed when bringing your a/c in for landings.

Since the topic is landing difficulties, I've got one of my own.  I can get down safe and stopped on the CV, but then the dang thing drives out from underneath me and I roll off the stern and die.   What is happening?  The hook obviously caught because I'm down and stopped.

Offline Lephturn

• Silver Member
      • http://lephturn.webhop.net
Landing frustrations...
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2002, 06:55:28 AM »
Oboe, are you not using your brakes or not keeping them on?  Is the CV turning?  Either of those might cause a problem.

There used to be an odd bug where if you caught the first wire it would basically snap back and fling you off the deck at a high rate of speed.  I thought that one was squashed a long time ago though.

What plane are you trying this in?

Offline Lephturn

• Silver Member
      • http://lephturn.webhop.net
Landing frustrations...
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2002, 09:22:40 AM »
I think I know what you are talking about, I just thought that one was fixed. :)  A film would be good for HTC I guess, but I know what you mean.

It would be interesting to see if it only happens if you snag the first wire though.

Offline bikekil

• Gold Member
Landing frustrations...
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2002, 10:02:14 AM »
Hi Khavren!

just film your landing (alt+r for start/stop recording while in game) and send it to ma at filip.demianiuk@promise.com.pl
i'll tell you what's wrong and what to do :)

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
Landing frustrations...
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2002, 10:14:30 AM »
Khavren you're getting a ditched message after crashing on the runway?

Yes you could be too slow. The important point is how fast you go down not how fast you go forward. A little landing practice with a good scan on the gauges should fix you up.

When you land at fields note your sink rate and airspeed. Practice some touch and go's with and without flaps. Practice using your throttle to control your sink rate while holding your pitch attitude. Notice how your sink rate at the same attitude is affected by airspeed, throttle, and flaps.

Also keep in mind that carrier aircraft are designed to touch down much harder than regular aircraft.

--)-FLS----
Musketeers

Offline oboe

• Plutonium Member
Landing frustrations...
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2002, 11:23:40 AM »
Originally posted by Lephturn
I think I know what you are talking about, I just thought that one was fixed. :)  A film would be good for HTC I guess, but I know what you mean.

It would be interesting to see if it only happens if you snag the first wire though.

Well, I'm getting this offline as well as online, and its happening to me in F4Us as well as Hellcats.   It's definitely not a first wire snag.  I'm landing somewhere in the middle of the wires, the plane hooks and comes to a halt.   But then the CV just rolls right out from under me.   If I apply full power quickly when I touch down and stop, I can slowly drive forward on the CV, but my hook never catches again.   As soon as I stop, I roll backwards off the boat.

I'll get a film and send you an email.

Offline oboe

• Plutonium Member
Landing frustrations...
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2002, 07:14:36 AM »
Well wouldn't you know 5 filmed landings later it still hasn't happened.

Sorry, I don't seem able to reproduce this.  But I'll continue filming my landings for a while.

Offline Staga

• Parolee
  • Platinum Member
      • http://www.nohomersclub.com/
Landing frustrations...
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2002, 07:28:22 AM »
in F4u's keep speed up and pull stick when in runway to keep tail in ground and brake after that.

Hammerhead

Landing frustrations...
« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2002, 12:18:13 PM »
UH huh!
OK! OK! I know panzers weren't put out on carriers, but just for fun I tried enabling all the vehicles on carriers and I get the same damn thing on them (except the LVTs ofcourse). Spawn and then u r stationary and the CV keeps moving.........Finally I roll off the edge and crash!(err...I mean DROWN:D )