Author Topic: What you reap is what you sow  (Read 797 times)

Offline Thrawn

• Platinum Member
What you reap is what you sow
« Reply #30 on: September 13, 2001, 06:09:00 PM »
Originally posted by Effdub:
The US gave Bin Laden the money to buy the gun to fight russia back then in afghanistan. Bin Laden is not the first and maybe not the last to be supported by the US to do the dirty work, before they turn against the hand that feeds them.

Give a mad man a gun, then be surprised when he turns and shoots you.  I think we can agree that arming and training, Noreiga, Hussien, and the Mujahadeem were all bad ideas.

Offline TRiMmer

• Copper Member
« Reply #31 on: September 13, 2001, 06:42:00 PM »
The US gave Bin Laden the money to buy the gun to fight russia back then in afghanistan. Bin Laden is not the first and maybe not the last to be supported by the US to do the dirty work, before they turn against the hand that feeds them.  

Not...Interview was on last night with the chief CIA operative in Afghanistan during those times.  He specifically stated that bin Laden was not a soldier during those times nor was he a hero as he proclaims to be...we never dealt with him.  As a matter of fact, it was very disconcerting to him that the "Myth of bin Laden" has grown to such proportions.

trm

Offline Steven

• Parolee
  • Nickel Member
      • http://members.cox.net/barking.pig/puke.htm
« Reply #32 on: September 14, 2001, 10:59:00 AM »
The problems in Afghanastan aren't so simple because there were many factions fighting.  It's been stated in texts and is my opinion that part of the reason the USSR were fighting was against the rising Muslim fundamentalism because they have a great deal many Muslims in their country as well as other things.  But again, there were really several factions including at the start someone named Amin (?) who was head of the country and then later also Prime Minister (when that person was killed and so took both roles) and who was actually educated in the USA.  Also, the UK supplied blowpipe missiles through the CIA so you can see that's it's not just the USA and the whole thing is a crazy mess.

This is just one one-hundredth of the whole story (which I don't completely understand and readily admit that) and my point is to show it's not always so easy to state things so simply like it's being stated.  Supporting Bin Ladin specifically, I don't think so.

Just like we supported Iraq during the Cities War but we also secretly supplied Iran as well.  However, Iraq flew a great many French-built fighters and received some during the conflict.  These things are not always the USA in isolation.

-Puke
332nd Flying Mongrels