Author Topic: logitech stuff  (Read 368 times)

Offline FDisk

• Copper Member
logitech stuff
« on: March 08, 2002, 11:26:50 AM »
Ok, I got me a slick little logitech wingman digital 3D and I'm very impressed... Now I need some pedals.. How do I know if my joystick will work with pedals?

Offline pimpjoe

• Silver Member
logitech stuff
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2002, 12:24:54 PM »
step 1: take you brand new logitech wingman digital 3D, and throw it in the garbage.

step 2: go out and buy yourself a nice MS Sidewinder FFB2.

i've had 2 logitech wingman digital 3D's in aobut a 6 month period.
on the first one the rudder went FUBAR on me within a month. so i was stuck flyin without a rudder untill i got the cash to get another one. on the second one the friggin hat switch FrEaKeD out on me and i was stuck with using the number pad for views.

maybe its just me but i really dont recomend that stick.

as for the pedals im clueless.:)

Offline FDisk

• Copper Member
logitech stuff
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2002, 12:47:06 PM »
LOL

My friend has a MSSW2. I hated it... It floped all around... I'll fill out my warranty card now though ;)

Thanks for the tip.

Offline LoneStarBuckeye

• Copper Member
      • http://None
logitech stuff
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2002, 12:51:21 PM »
If you want to use analog pedals with your USB stick...

I bought the same stick you have a while ago, and I since returned it.  I found that, although the control seemed precise, the throw on the hat switch was so short that I could not use it effectively.  Anway, if you like it, that's great.

[ASIDE: I now have a Saitek X36 HOTAS (hands-on throttle and stick) and am anxiously awaiting my pre-ordered TM Cougar (not at all cheap, but you get what you pay for, usually)!  The Saitek rig is cheap (you can probably find one for not much more than you paid for your stick) and, in my opinion, VASTLY superior to your stick.]  

When I had the Logitech stick, I used CH analog pedals with it by plugging them into an analog gameport.  If you are using Win98SE, there are two ways to go about this; if you are using WinXP, I think that just one will work.  

[ASIDE: I think that the CH analog pedals are better than the TM Elite analog pedals.  Although they are not as "realistic" as the TM pedals, I have found that they afford much more precise control and, for my money, that is more important than "realism."  You can get the CH pedals at http://www.fscentral.com for $60.  There are other more expensive options (as well as USB pedals) about which I know almost nothing.]

The cheapest route is to get a set of rudder pedals and install special drivers that will recognize and allow you to configure the rudders as a single-axis "joystick."  I used Bob Church's drivers, which, if I recall, are available at http://www.stickworks.com.  Installing those drivers is fairly involved, so I recommend paying close attention to the instructions at the site and read.me files included with the drivers.  When I last checked, Bob Church's drivers were not compatible with Windows 2000 or XP.  

If you have Windows 2000 or XP or just don't want to mess around with special drivers, along with your rudder pedals, you will need a cheap (the cheapest $5 piece of junk you can find) analog joystick.  Connect the joystick to the pedals and plug the combination into your analog joystick port.  Configure the pair as a three-axis, 2- or 4-button joystick (make sure to check the "rudder" box).

Once you have calibrated the rudders or rudder/joystick combination in Windows 98/2000/XP, start up AH.  Under the "Setup" menu, choose "Joystick."  I don't remember exactly how it works, because I don't have the game in front of me right now.  But, basically, AH lets you select an axis from among all joystick axes (including rudder axes) that Windows recognizes to control certain aircraft surfaces and other things.  Thus, simply select the X and Y axes on your Logitech stick to control roll and pitch, respectively, and select the Z (?) axis of your other stick or stick/rudder combination to control yaw.

Hope this helps.

- JNOV

Offline BenDover

• Platinum Member
logitech stuff
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2002, 12:55:14 PM »
pimp, heard of a waranty?

Offline FDisk

• Copper Member
logitech stuff
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2002, 01:25:04 PM »
LoneStarBuckeye, you rock my world!

Thanks for all of the great info!
If i'm in Austin i'm buying the beer!

Offline Alpo

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Silver Member
logitech stuff
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2002, 01:51:18 PM »
Originally posted by BenDover
pimp, heard of a waranty?

Well... I had a warranty.  Of course, the thing went bad not long after that (Wingman 3d ForceFeedback).  I thought I might be able to talk sensibly with customer support as anytime the stick was plugged in the thing would start jumping all over.

Upon calling service I got the not so surprising "Can't do anything for you"  Man, I wish stuff lasted like my Thrustmaster X Fighter did.
SkyKnights Fighter Group -CO-
R.I.P.  SKDenny 02/03/1940 - 02/19/2012

Offline LoneStarBuckeye

• Copper Member
      • http://None
logitech stuff
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2002, 02:42:35 PM »
FDisk:

My pleasure -- I'm glad the information was helpful.  I'm sorry I can't provide more precise instructions right now, but if you can't get it working, send me an e-mail and I'll see if I can help.

- JNOV

Offline BenDover

• Platinum Member
btw
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2002, 03:42:35 PM »
i have a MS: SW: FF2 stick, it is very good, your mate proberly had some setting on low (stick to centre i think it will be), and its lasted me longer than a year now, and its still working great