Author Topic: fighting against a zero  (Read 728 times)

Offline akak

• Silver Member
      • http://www.479thraiders.com
fighting against a zero
« Reply #15 on: March 08, 2002, 07:37:21 AM »
Originally posted by MANDOBLE
Modas, time to check your e-mail and start practicing almost blind shots. :D

Are these views based on the views Snefens has for download or totally different?  If it's not too much trouble, I'd like to see a screenshot of views #2 and #3 myself.  Would it be easier for you to post them to this board or to email me?

Ack-Ack
479th FG - Riddle's Raiders

Offline Modas

• Silver Member
      • http://www.cutthroats.com
fighting against a zero
« Reply #16 on: March 08, 2002, 11:09:56 AM »
Modas, time to check your e-mail and start practicing almost blind shots. :D

Yep, I got the screen shots.  Most excellent.  It has helped IMMENSLY!!  I smoked a p51 at 500 yard in a fairly hard turn last night.  Saw the tracers all the way to the target.  No more spray and pray for me!!  :D

Is there a way to map multiple FORWARD views?  Not just the standard KP views?  I would like to be able to assign a forward view that has been shifted all the way left and all the way right and at the same time, keep the standard forward view that I already have?

Thanks for the help on this Mandoble!!  :cool:

Modas
8=X Cutthroats

Offline LoneStarBuckeye

• Copper Member
      • http://None
fighting against a zero
« Reply #17 on: March 08, 2002, 11:34:07 AM »
I would also like to see these views.  I would be most appreciative if Mandoble (or someone with his permission) would post them here or make them available for download.  Thanks for the help!

- JNOV

Offline LoneStarBuckeye

• Copper Member
      • http://None
fighting against a zero
« Reply #18 on: March 08, 2002, 02:23:03 PM »
I have tried to set up the views as you describe, Mandoble, both in a P51 and 190D9.  The elevated forward view seems alright.  I haven't tried it in combat yet, but I can see the convergence point above my gunsight.  I undertsand how this view minimizes blind snap shots while still allowing one to aim using the convergence point.  

I cannot, howver, set up the KP-1 and KP-3 views so that I can see the convergence point.  I can almost get there in the 51 but not in the D9.  I am missing something here?  If not, how do you use those views effectively?  Namely, if you can see neither the convergence point nor the gunsight, how do you use front-side views to put lead on your target?

Thanks for any help you can provide!

- JNOV

Offline aknimitz

• Silver Member
fighting against a zero
« Reply #19 on: March 08, 2002, 04:43:58 PM »
MANDOBLE, I would also like to see 'em :D

Can you post 'em here?  If not, would U mind emailing?  

nimitz@huckabay.net

TY S!
Nim

Offline AKIron

• Plutonium Member
fighting against a zero
« Reply #20 on: March 08, 2002, 04:53:35 PM »
About "blind-lead shots".

- There are 3 possible forward views:
1 - Default forward view (No key pressed)
2 - Forward view while pressing Kp8
3 - Forward view while pressing KP1 and KP7

Didn't realize kp1 and kp7 yielded a third front view. Thanks for the tip. BTW, I found that kp9 and kp3 yield a fourth view, even better.
Here we put salt on Margaritas, not sidewalks.

Offline Dead Man Flying

• Platinum Member
fighting against a zero
« Reply #21 on: March 08, 2002, 06:42:05 PM »
Bah!  You damn elevated head weenies.  Learn how to predict the enemy's flight path while pulling a blind lead shot without elevating your head unrealistically.  And do it without using tracers.

If I can do it, I know each and every last one of you can do it too.  :)  Of course, IMO it's more a matter of what you're used to than what works or doesn't work.  Whatever you're used to and have the most practice doing will bring you the most success.

-- Todd/Leviathn, who uses the gunsight to aim

Offline DblTrubl

• Copper Member
fighting against a zero
« Reply #22 on: March 08, 2002, 06:56:15 PM »
As was already mentioned, the most effective tactic against the zeke is the head on, in my experience. I'm always amazed at how many zeke pilots will accept the HO. It's the only opponent I face where I look for the HO as my first choice, unless I have a significant E advantage...or I'm in a zeke as well. The latter case is when the fun really starts though. :D

Offline AKIron

• Plutonium Member
fighting against a zero
« Reply #23 on: March 08, 2002, 07:27:27 PM »
I don't use the extra views for shooting, find it too disorienting to change while in a fight. I do find 'em handy for landing on a cv. Now I can easily and quickly switch between full left/forward/up and full right/forward/up.
Here we put salt on Margaritas, not sidewalks.