Author Topic: An idea, - the next "plane in AH"  (Read 314 times)

Offline Angus

• Plutonium Member
An idea, - the next "plane in AH"
« on: October 30, 2001, 03:20:00 AM »
Hello folks
Just had this crazy idea about what could be the next plane in AH, the fiesler V-1!!!
Think of it: Some fields could be equipped with a launch rail, and you would pick the V-1 in the hangar. Now, you'd have to decide max range (longer range at the cost of payload), and then select heading, cruising altitude and range, - similar to when you aim ship guns. Then press launch and WHOOSHHH.....say at the cost of a perk or so.
Being fairly unaccurate and interceptable, the V-1 would not change AH strategy significally. They would also present a new kind of target. But they would matter, i.e.  where fields are close with flat low land or sea between them, so they could fly in below radar, or when somebody decides to fire a whole salvo of them. (well, many people have many bomber perks to spare)
How about it folks!! How about it HiTech?
It was very interesting to carry out the flight trials at Rechlin with the Spitfire and the Hurricane. Both types are very simple to fly compared to our aircraft, and childishly easy to take-off and land. (Werner Mölders)

Offline Fariz

• Silver Member
      • http://9giap.warriormage.com
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2001, 04:18:00 AM »
I like the idea, but perk price of each one shall be adjusted properly to make them a) usuful b) not too unbalancing.

Hunting rockets, hitting strat target with them, hunting launch sites can be really nice.

Fariz

Offline Sancho

• Silver Member
      • http://www.56thfightergroup.com
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2001, 04:36:00 AM »
I like it a lot.  The rockets might even fire automagically by the server.

Offline Seeker

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2001, 05:04:00 AM »
It doesn't have to be a V-1.

Very late in the war there were experiments with piloted versions as a cheap jet anti-buff weapon; called the F103-R-IV. The idea was this would be dropped from an He-111, the pilot would aim for the nearest buff and bail before impact - the first "missile with a man in it". In reality he'd never make it, he'd eject into the jet intake.

170 were made, and although 70 pilots were selected for training (from thousands of volunteers) it was never used in action.

The Japaneese *did* put their version of the idea onto action, however, with great success. It (the Ohka) came into service in 21 feb '45 until 15 Aug '45; sinking 17 ships and damaging 198 more for the loss of 930 Ohka and drop planes; probably a better K/D than we see in the MA.....

Offline gunhogfw

• Zinc Member
      • http://flightmaster0.tripod.com/ultimatepilot0/
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2001, 05:43:00 AM »
hey angus is that the glider things with troops?  :confused:   ;)   :D

Offline Ghosth

• AH Training Corps (retired)
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://332nd.org
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2001, 07:50:00 AM »
Would love to see the V1 incorporated into the game.

Setting them could be a simple matter of 2 variables. X = degrees Y = distance in yards.

Keep em cheap at first while people figure out how to use them.  Preferably make them available at special launch points, and Large fields.

Offline SKurj

• Gold Member
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2001, 09:32:00 AM »
Strat targets in AH are fairly small, once the secret to aiming the things is discovered flattening strat targets may become quite easy.  Add "dispersion".  There is no way two V1's aimed at the same location will hit even with a couple of hundred yards of each other.

SKurj

Offline moose

• Gold Member
      • http://www.ccrhl.com
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2001, 09:36:00 AM »
wow,

never thought of a v1

i played a wwii game once where you hunted them. it was a real basic sim based around paris. I cant remember the name but there were V-1s in it and they were a pain to catch.

thinking back to the con, one of the speakers (too lazy too look who it was up) talked about hunting the damn things. One time one of the pilots pulled up next to one of the things and nudged its wing, tipping it over and into the ground.

i dunno, i think it'd be a really neat thing to add in sometime. that with the catalina  :)
<----ASSASSINS---->

Offline Busher

• Gold Member
« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2001, 10:11:00 AM »
Would like to see the B-29 at some point but suspect it would need to be perked heavily.
Could anything but a 262 hunt them down?  :)
Being male, an accident of birth. Being a man, a matter of age. Being a gentleman, a matter of choice.

Offline Angus

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2001, 10:33:00 AM »
The V-1 cruising speed should be somewhere between P51C on wep and a Tempest, at least according to my great uncle who spent some time doodlebug-chasing.
In the darkness, they looked quite cool, with a long flare coming from the pulse-jet engine, and the sound was quite funny too.
The British used mainly Spit XIV, P51C late model mossies (at night) and Tempests to catch them. The P51 could catch them in a shallow dive, while the Tempest could catch them in level fligh at max throttle. Interception could be hazardous due to the 2000 lbs warhead exploding, so some pilots developed the stunning technique to tip them over with their own wingtips, thereby scrambling the gyro-balance and sending the missile to the ground.
Dispersion was a problem, so they were only usable against big targets, such as urban areas.
I remember that the v-1 was featured in CFS.
It was very interesting to carry out the flight trials at Rechlin with the Spitfire and the Hurricane. Both types are very simple to fly compared to our aircraft, and childishly easy to take-off and land. (Werner Mölders)