Author Topic: Havin a few problems  (Read 713 times)

Offline LtStasis

• Zinc Member
Havin a few problems
« on: February 23, 2002, 11:09:20 PM »
I'm new so bare with me. I've just started using the AH editor and I'm trying to learn it. I've made a level and for some reason the level crashes AH after about 10 second after I load the level in offline play. None of the other levels I have do this. I was wondering if anyone else has had that problem and knows what I screwed up. And also for some reason, the mapboard bmp isn't showing up properly.

Thanks

Offline BenDover

• Platinum Member
Havin a few problems
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2002, 06:37:50 AM »
on the object tab, click on object report, and then click 'check terrain'

that should tell you wot to fix, and it should help

Offline LtStasis

• Zinc Member
Havin a few problems
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2002, 07:50:26 AM »
Well, I did that, and it gave me 2 kinds of errors. One was that each of the teams did not have a HQ, and the second type was that objects were touching gridlines. I fixed the HQ thing, but I was under the impression that if objects touched gridlines then they would just look weird in AH but not make it impossible to run that map. Am I wrong? If I am, how can I make sure none of the objects are on a grid line?

Offline LtStasis

• Zinc Member
Havin a few problems
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2002, 09:27:45 AM »
Well, this might sound a little weird. My map still wasn't working in offline, so I decided to go on HTH just to see if maybe it would work there. It did. Hmm. Maybe the "AI" planes were screwing it up, I dunno. It's better than nothing but I'd still like to be able to test my maps offline.

Offline pokie

• Silver Member
      • http://s7.eastlink.ca/~tscott
Havin a few problems
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2002, 10:51:17 AM »
Hello LtStasis

How many times did you try to build this terrain.  I had this happen before.
Sometimes I find it better if I shut down the editor while saving, then restart it, and then click build.

1) Once the .res file is made you can not rename it.

2) If you want to use a different name for your terrain then you need to rename all the files that the editor uses to make the .res file. Like the .TYP, .ELV, .OBA....ETC

3) The names of your terrain can't be more than 8 characters long.

4) I know you can use a "-" in the terrain name like ( Pokie-1.res ) but if memory servers me you can't use "." ( period ) and I bet some of the others like ! @ # $ % etc would give problems.

The weirdest thing just happened.  Since I already Centered all my Fields I needed to get the original coordenates for the AFLrg-S field to use in my example to help centering the fields.  I renamed my Groups Folder located in the C:\Program Files\HTC\aheditor\terrains and reinsalled the Editor.  
Now all the the Fields are centered when placed.

So!  I'm thinking, deleted or rename your Groups Folder and reinstall the Editor.

IF NOT, try this example:  

Turn on Grid Lines.
Going to use the Grid Box 10.24 / 10.24 as the box for placing an airfield ( AFLrg-S ).  This is the center of the terrain and would be easier to work with since all the coordinates would be 0.  Best to make sure that the land in this Grid Box is at 0ft Altitude.

1)  Make sure that the number in the "Snap Spacing" box equals 2640.  
2)  Put checkmark in the "Snap" box.
3)  Click the "Terrain" tab, and click mouse in the center of the Grid Box 10.24 / 10.24.
4)  You will see the "Position" coordinates of  X, Y, Z  for the center of the Grid Box.  They will be X=0, Y=0 and Z=0.
5)  Now click the "Object" tab and make sure that the Red cross is in the center of 10.24 / 10.24 Grid Box.  If not click mouse in the center of the box.
6)  Select AFLrg-S and place it.
7)  Look in the "Selection List" and Double click on FxxRWY0, this will bring up an "Object Properties" box.  You will see the X, Y, Z Position information of the  FxxRWY0.  We don't need to worry about Y since this is Altitude.
If we are lucky we will both have the same coordinates ( I had centered all my fields and this is a backup AFLrg-S file ).
8)  The Positions for FxxRWY0 is     X=133.356364, Z=-269.391582
9)  This tells me that the X coordinate is ( 133.356364 ft ) too far Right ( East )     and that the Z cooridinate is ( 269.391582 ft ) too far Down ( South )  because the center of this Grid Box is X=0 and Z=0
10)  Write these X and Y numbers down and Click on Ok to close the box.
11)  The entire AFLrg-S field should still be all highlited ( in red ) if not select the whole thing again with the mouse.
12)  Let do X first.   Enter 133.356364 in the Snap Spacing box.
13)  Make sure the "Snap" box is checked, and select Move.
14)  Move the whole group one movement to the Left ( West )  Note!  Sometime if you are to high up ( your down looking view ) it is hard making small movements and you may need to get closer.  Maybe better to get closer to the land, just to see 9 Grid Boxes in your Screen View.
15)   Double click on FxxRWY0 from the "Selection List" again, and it should now have X = 0.  If it is -133.356364 ( 2 spaces left of the original position ) or like -266.712728 ( 3 spaces ), -400.069092 ( 4 spaces ) etc then you moved it too far West and you will need to move it Right ( East ).
16)  If X=0 then you do the same thing for Z, except that you enter 269.391582 in the Snap Spacing box.
17)  Remember Z was too far Down ( South ) so you'll need to move the whole Group Up ( North )

The number in the Snap Spacing = how many ft in any direction the object(s) moves.

Pokie

Offline LtStasis

• Zinc Member
Havin a few problems
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2002, 02:54:03 PM »
Well I didn't know that the filename had to be 8 chars or less. I renamed everything because my terrain was 9 letters long. I made a new .res file from the files I renamed. It still won't work for more than 15 seconds before crashing in offline play. I've been testing my maps using the HTH LAN option. This way I can still test it offline, and it doesn't shut down after 15 seconds.  The one thing that's bugging my right now is that my troops don't want to seem to capture anything. They either go where they're supposed to, but nothing happens, or they dissapear on their way to the map room. I was testing caputuring a Depot, at first all of the buildings were Town types. I think town types are required to be destroyed before the affiliated field can be captured, but am not sure of this. I changed all of the town buildings in the depot to bombables, but still no luck capturing. Have any of you guys found an easy way to check if the fields can be captured, or maybe just a checklist to make sure that I'm not forgetting some setting somewhere? Thanks for the help.

Offline pokie

• Silver Member
Havin a few problems
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2002, 03:30:48 PM »
LtStasis, what did you do with the original tower when you first started to build the terrain because the first field that you wanted to place the Select Field box would pop up tell you "Select the field that will own these objects
2 New

Early days of building terrains we had what we all called the 1st Field Bug.

Depending how your editor works with your window determines how you do this.
Right now when I first start to build my terrain I delete that tower and then place a Field and it will be Selected as 1 new.  Then the next one would be 2 new, 3 new and so on.

I don't know if the error checker checks for multiple Towers or Maproom?

Pokie
« Last Edit: February 24, 2002, 03:33:35 PM by pokie »

Offline LtStasis

• Zinc Member
Havin a few problems
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2002, 01:37:23 PM »
Thought up a new question. Why don't country owned object seem to work in HTH games? Are HQ's, Factories, etc. disabled in HTH and only work in the Main Arena or something? Also is there any kind of website out there for AH map developers that you guys have found?

Offline NUTTZ

• Silver Member
Havin a few problems
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2002, 02:00:41 PM »
In the top tab ( upper left) theres where you set what country owns what. Once you set these, hit build, then save. Then go to your folder where the terrain editor is and open the terrain folder, you will see 3 files with your maps name ( 1 will be the .res file. You need to copy and paste ALL 3 of these files into your HTC/ terrains folder. Now when you up it up H2h, the country owned feilds will stay set to the way you saved them.

NUTTZ

Originally posted by LtStasis
Thought up a new question. Why don't country owned object seem to work in HTH games? Are HQ's, Factories, etc. disabled in HTH and only work in the Main Arena or something? Also is there any kind of website out there for AH map developers that you guys have found?

Offline LtStasis

• Zinc Member
Havin a few problems
« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2002, 04:30:00 PM »
I don't have any trouble with ownership of objects. I mean when you bomb say an ack factory, it doesn't seem to make that countries ack repair % go down at all. When you go to the Maproom and look at the strat screen it will give you % for the different aspects of a countries production. The numbers seem to be 100% no matter what I bomb. Are there rules I don't know about?

Offline NUTTZ

• Silver Member
Havin a few problems
« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2002, 07:52:42 PM »
Not that I know of, But I am putting together a server devoted JUST for mapmakers. As soon as i can clear out some other projects IRL i'll set it up. All the pieces are in place, just need the time to Hook it up. Pokie agreed to help me. His expertise is with the .OBA files, while mine is with textures and tiles. Once this server is up, the web page will address the basics to the most experienced problems, as well as "tricks and tips". Also the more experienced mapmakers who are devoted will be able to access the sight via FTP to store textures and stuff.

NUTTZ

Also is there any kind of website out there for AH map developers that you guys have found?

Offline pokie

• Silver Member
Havin a few problems
« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2002, 10:14:55 PM »
Originally posted by NUTTZ
In the top tab ( upper left) theres where you set what country owns what. Once you set these, hit build, then save. Then go to your folder where the terrain editor is and open the terrain folder, you will see 3 files with your maps name ( 1 will be the .res file. You need to copy and paste ALL 3 of these files into your HTC/ terrains folder. Now when you up it up H2h, the country owned feilds will stay set to the way you saved them.
NUTTZ

With this new version Nuttz all you need to copy and paste is the .res file.

Pokie

Offline pokie

• Silver Member
Havin a few problems
« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2002, 10:16:23 PM »
I don't have any trouble with ownership of objects. I mean when you bomb say an ack factory, it doesn't seem to make that countries ack repair % go down at all. When you go to the Maproom and look at the strat screen it will give you % for the different aspects of a countries production. The numbers seem to be 100% no matter what I bomb. Are there rules I don't know about?

I bet this is only controlled in the online mode.

Pokie