Author Topic: Panzer pointers  (Read 297 times)

Offline San

• Copper Member
Panzer pointers
« on: March 03, 2002, 12:17:01 AM »
I just drove one for the first time a few nights ago. I had a blast got my first kill in about an hour. I am really having trouble hittting at long distances. Need some help from you tankers. Does anyone have a trainig page setup for the ground vehicles?

Sandog

Offline mauser

• Nickel Member
Panzer pointers
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2002, 04:29:37 PM »
A long while ago, hitech gave us all a clue by saying that the horizontal lines in the panzer's sight are 5 mils in length.  Knowing this and knowing the length or width of your target, you can deduce the range of the target.  Let's say a pz is in front of you facing you head on.  You look into the main gun's site and zoom in.  Measure the width of the panzer using one of the many horizontal lines... is it 1/5 of a line? 3/5?  Let's say you judge it to be 2/5 of the line in width, or 2 mils.  The width of the panzer in yards is about 3 yds.  We want to use yards here because the panzer site is marked in hundreds of yards ( 4 is 400 yds, 25 is 2500 yds ).  I use this formula that I extracted from a book entitled "The Ultimate Sniper" by John Plaster, in a section on range estimation:
   target dimension x 1000 / target dimension in mils = range

3 yds x 1000 / 2 = 1500 yards

Target dimension will be based on whether you're seeing the side (length) or the front (width) of the panzer/m3/m8 etc.  Make sure you use yards.  Try this formula and see if it works for you.  There are other ways of using the mil, this was just the way I chose to remember.  Also see how things are done in the tank sim "Panzer Elite."  The German pz's sights in there are historical, and are a bit more complex in design, but easier to range stuff.

When pz's first came out and were used extensively, there was a bunch of folks who could range a target just by looking at it's size in the scope.  That is the quickest way, and requires lots of practice.  If you ever get hit on what looks like the first shot taken by your target, you'll know why...

mauser

Offline San

• Copper Member
Panzer pointers
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2002, 05:42:01 AM »
thank you mauser

Offline Furzy

• Zinc Member
Panzer pointers
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2002, 06:21:16 PM »
I Dont know If this would be possible in r/l but it sure work in AH Panzr m8 And Cruiser Guns.

For Super long range shots that are where the TArget is below and out of sight in the Scope follow these steps.

-Get target in crosshair.

- Press F8. < Adjust view >

- Raise the barrel until targets out of sight.

- Now use keypad 8 and 2 only to allow you to see further. pressing Any of the other No will move you off  the corect direction and best avoided. View can be reset readily  by switching to driver and back.

- If thats not  enough Page up/down can be used too.

- After 1 or two marker shots you Should Be Nearly on correct range. But At extreme distance Its allmost impossible to hit a Moving target. the shell will be in flight for 5-6 seconds :).

Furzy