Author Topic: i need help with my bridge  (Read 569 times)

Offline BenDover

• Platinum Member
i need help with my bridge
« on: March 03, 2002, 01:31:59 PM »
ok, in air race, i have a bridge for gvs to race across, but when i go over the water, i stop:confused: , how do i fix this?

Offline pokie

• Silver Member
      • http://s7.eastlink.ca/~tscott
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2002, 03:42:12 PM »
Hello BenDover

What you will find out is, not all shapes that let you travel on them when they are over land will work over water.

As far as I can find, the only 2 shapes that work over water are the RUNWAY and REARM pad, that is, to make your bridge look like a bridge.

Other shapes like FACTDRT, FTMPLT, OILDIRT, VDEPOT and a few other with work on water but they don't look like parts to make a realistic looking bridge.

Pokie

Offline BenDover

• Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2002, 04:25:51 PM »
i use taxi ways, guess i'll have to redesign....

Offline NUTTZ

• Silver Member
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2002, 06:07:26 PM »
you can use taxi ways. You may have a problem with the "clutter" objects. IF you have trees for clutter, IF you pass over one you will die.

NUTTZ

Originally posted by BenDover
i use taxi ways, guess i'll have to redesign....

Offline BenDover

• Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2002, 12:19:33 PM »
thats not my problem, my problem is that the tile underneath either makes my bump about (going over grassy rock, fixed), or stop (when going over water, not fixed)

have i got to have some settings set?

Offline NUTTZ

• Silver Member
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2002, 01:48:16 PM »
heres what i did...
I used the runway object at 192 elevation (set to collide) then used taxis at 190 elevation ( don't set to collide) this way since the runway is transparent it "LOOKS" like your using the taxi as the bridge and you don't get the 'Bumps' going across the bridge since your really using a mile long runway as the bridge. You CANNOT use tree clutter for transitional tiles 18,19,20, you MUST use bushes and small rock clutter i think it's cg0001. But you can get GV's to cross a tile of water.

you can stop, go slow, reverse on my bridges.

The ONLY bad thing is you can fire threw the bridge, BUT me and Pokie have corrected that:)

NUTTZ

thats not my problem, my problem is that the tile underneath either makes my bump about (going over grassy rock, fixed), or stop (when going over water, not fixed)

have i got to have some settings set?

Offline Tilt

• Platinum Member
      • FullTilt
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2002, 08:13:27 AM »
Originally posted by NUTTZ

The ONLY bad thing is you can fire threw the bridge, BUT me and Pokie have corrected that:)

NUTTZ

How?

Tilt
Ludere Vincere

Offline pokie

• Silver Member
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2002, 05:16:03 PM »
Well one way was to place something that can be hit.  
Try the VHNGRF shape.

Here one thing to think about.  Any bomb that explodes above ground ( let say 150ft up) due to hitting a shape, will leave a bomb crater that will look weird if the shape is destroyed.  
The crate would be in the air all by itself.

If the runway was destroyed but the VHNGRF shape stayed the bomb crater wouldn't look that weird.

Bridges are a pain to build with the available shapes we have to work with.  I would love to see a 1000 ft STRTAXI piece that gave some of the properties of the runway shape.

Things about making a bridge

1) trying to make it look realistic
2) make it passable over water ( land is easy )
3) keep the number of shapes used, to a minimum ( I'm thinking of a maximum of 100 shapes )
4) make a section or sections destroyable to prevent passage but keep section of structure there to help mask the bomb crater effect.
5) make it so you don't see thru it, or see shapes thru it from either side.
6) make it so bullets, rockets or bombs don't pass thru it.
7) make it visible from a distance. ( find Rearm pads alone don't show up until your almost upon them, viewed from a plane )
8) make it reasonably short ( ideally if it could stay within a 1 mile grid )
9) make sections of the bridge not to give a clipping effect (  shapes that appear and disappear )
10) make it so vehicles ( planes, boats etc ) can pass under it but can be destroyed if they hit it.
11) make it so vehicles can drive over it without fear of death
12) make it not restricted to height limit. ( right now 194ft is the max. height )
13 make it not effected by ground clutter shapes
14 I'm missing something? I'm sure of it.

Pokie

Offline BenDover

• Platinum Member
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2002, 05:24:18 PM »
"12) make it not restricted to height limit. ( right now 194ft is the max. height )"

why's that?

Offline NUTTZ

• Silver Member
« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2002, 06:06:41 PM »
Because the 195FT. Fairy is one Mutha F****.

NUTTZ

Planes will not land on a runway more than that hight raised above the ground ( so Pokie says) and I believe him, althou i never tested this.

"12) make it not restricted to height limit. ( right now 194ft is the max. height )"

why's that?

Offline pokie

• Silver Member
« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2002, 06:12:26 PM »

why's that?

Sorry BenDover I should have clarified that better by saying
12) make it not restricted to height limit for planes to be able to land. ( right now 194ft is the max. height )
Also planes won't spawn any higher than 194 ft.

This is not really a important thing, but it was pretty cool landing on Nuttzs bridge in his Tunsia map.

Pokie

Offline Tilt

• Platinum Member
      • FullTilt
« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2002, 06:42:47 AM »
Originally posted by pokie

Things about making a bridge

I would be happy if HTC added this object (hardness set to 10,000llbs) to the object list when they up grade the editor for the new strat system..........

Tilt
Ludere Vincere