Author Topic: serious joystick problems  (Read 371 times)

Offline Captain Virgil Hilts

• Platinum Member
serious joystick problems
« on: February 21, 2002, 11:30:14 AM »
First, the system specs:
AMD K6-2 550 CPU
FIC PA-2013 rev 2.0 board
Seagate 8.6 Gig HD
3dfx Voodoo 4 4500 32MB PCI card
Creative SB Live! 5.1
384 MB of PC100 SDRAM
Saitek Cyborg 3D USB Gold
Windows ME

I just put this together because my Compaq with these components died. I have all the latest VIA 4in1 drivers, and DX 8.1. The problem:The joystick continually stops working. Everytime I load Aces High (the ONLY thing I use the joystick for). Sometimes it won't work even after a reboot or two. It has gotten worse. A couple of times I was able to take off and fly for a few minutes, but now I can't even take off. The last two or three times I got a message "do not move your controls so rapidly", even though I was just moving the view hat. I checked the joystick setup and moved the hat just to see if the stick was spiking and causing AH to lock it, but it locks with no spikes at all, not even any movement. Any ideas and help would be appreciated.
"I haven't seen Berlin yet, from the ground or the air, and I plan on doing both, BEFORE the war is over."

SaVaGe

• Platinum Member
anyone?
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2002, 09:32:29 AM »
no ideas at all? Oh well.
"I haven't seen Berlin yet, from the ground or the air, and I plan on doing both, BEFORE the war is over."

SaVaGe

Offline maddog1

• Zinc Member
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2002, 10:12:16 AM »
Try USB stick... problems should dissappear...

• Platinum Member
it IS a USB stick
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2002, 10:29:00 AM »
see the post subject

SaVaGe

Offline batdog

• Silver Member
      • http://www.dasmuppets.com/
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2002, 11:11:25 AM »
Is it a IRQ conflict?

xBAT
Of course, I only see what he posts here and what he does in the MA.  I know virtually nothing about the man.  I think its important for people to realize that we don't really know squat about each other.... definately not enough to use words like "hate".

AKDejaVu

Offline batdog

• Silver Member
      • http://www.dasmuppets.com/
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2002, 11:13:33 AM »
Arg...your using ME. Isnt there something wierd about USB and ME? I'd consider a diff operating system maybe.

xBAT
Of course, I only see what he posts here and what he does in the MA.  I know virtually nothing about the man.  I think its important for people to realize that we don't really know squat about each other.... definately not enough to use words like "hate".

AKDejaVu

Offline LFMM

• Zinc Member
      • http://www.multimania.com/accshq
joystick and screen framerate
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2002, 06:35:57 PM »
After having added a 2nd HD I've encountered joystick problems.
1- force feedback has some gaps during flights.
2- when firing, screen stutters, freezes at each round!!!!

mayday:(

Offline maddog1

• Zinc Member
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2002, 08:50:43 PM »
Had problems with a USB printer and I read somewhere to plug it into First usb port.... it liked that (God only knows why)(maybe Bloom also)... could try that..... also I know that if it happens only during loud noise its a sound problem..... theres something about turning down the noise in multimedia or something....

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2002, 03:23:35 PM »
Virgil

Did you reinstall everything on your HD or just connect it to the new MB and load the Via drivers on top of the sound and video drivers already on the HD?

You need to install the MB drivers before the sound and video drivers even with a new install.  If you didn't do this try removing your soundcard drivers, reboot with standard VGA drivers and remove your video drivers. Reboot and reinstall your Via drivers and use the AMD AGP driver if you need it. Then reinstall your soundcard and Video drivers.

--)-FLS----
Musketeers

Offline SKurj

• Gold Member
« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2002, 03:55:22 PM »
LFMM

reduce sound acceleration in

Control Panel
Multimedia
advanced
performance

try 1-2 clicks to the left

SKurj

Offline Cavalier2

• Zinc Member
« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2002, 05:18:51 PM »
I beleive ther eis a small flick switch underneath that joystick i cant remember what its labelled as but got 1 here and spiked like crazy until i moved the switch now its rock solid, may be worth a try.

Offline akak

• Silver Member
      • http://www.479thraiders.com
Re: serious joystick problems
« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2002, 07:52:11 PM »
Originally posted by Captain Virgil Hilts
First, the system specs:
AMD K6-2 550 CPU
FIC PA-2013 rev 2.0 board
Seagate 8.6 Gig HD
3dfx Voodoo 4 4500 32MB PCI card
Creative SB Live! 5.1
384 MB of PC100 SDRAM
Saitek Cyborg 3D USB Gold
Windows ME

I just put this together because my Compaq with these components died. I have all the latest VIA 4in1 drivers, and DX 8.1. The problem:The joystick continually stops working. Everytime I load Aces High (the ONLY thing I use the joystick for). Sometimes it won't work even after a reboot or two. It has gotten worse. A couple of times I was able to take off and fly for a few minutes, but now I can't even take off. The last two or three times I got a message "do not move your controls so rapidly", even though I was just moving the view hat. I checked the joystick setup and moved the hat just to see if the stick was spiking and causing AH to lock it, but it locks with no spikes at all, not even any movement. Any ideas and help would be appreciated.

Savage,

Go to VIA Hardware and download the USB patch, version 1.10 I think.  You might also want download the SB LIVE Via chipset patch, that file can be found in the drivers section of ViaHardware.  You might also want to ask Kelly,  either he or Becca has the same stick and might be able to help.

Ack-Ack
479th FG - Riddle's Raiders

• Platinum Member
« Reply #12 on: March 05, 2002, 08:52:54 PM »
Originally posted by FLS
Virgil

Did you reinstall everything on your HD or just connect it to the new MB and load the Via drivers on top of the sound and video drivers already on the HD?

You need to install the MB drivers before the sound and video drivers even with a new install.  If you didn't do this try removing your soundcard drivers, reboot with standard VGA drivers and remove your video drivers. Reboot and reinstall your Via drivers and use the AMD AGP driver if you need it. Then reinstall your soundcard and Video drivers.

--)-FLS----
Musketeers

I did a full format, and a fresh install of 98. I tried for a month to get one of my internal PCI modems to work and eventually got to the very newest VIA drivers, USB patch, and the latest bios. I never did get the modems to work, so I tried ME, since I though maybe my 98 disk was bad, but that didn't help. I finally bought an external modem, and after I got everything else working, I downloaded a fresh install of Aces High with all the terrains and such, and found out my stick won't work more than 5 minutes at a time (except once it stayed working for 20).

Anyway, I have all of the latest drivers and bios, plus all of the patches except the one Ack-Ack mentioned, I'll try it. I've done everything in several different orders. I have the latest DirectX also, three downloads and several re-installs. I'll keep trying, because I desperately want to be flying.

SaVaGe

Offline SKurj

• Gold Member
« Reply #13 on: March 05, 2002, 11:49:39 PM »
There is also a PCI latency patch out there that may or may not help..

Think you can find it with the rest oif the VIA drivers

SKurj