Author Topic: Hitech.. question about buff gun firing arcs  (Read 378 times)

Offline Urchin

• Platinum Member
Hitech.. question about buff gun firing arcs
« on: October 30, 2001, 11:48:00 PM »
You said in an earlier thread that the guns on a B17 never actually "converge" at the point you are aiming at.  

I did a little testing of the guns offline, using the .target command.  I do not have screenshots of it, but it is fairly easy to replicate.  I tested both the Lanc and the B-17 (although the Lanc was easier since the Nose and Tail guns both have more than a 180 degree firing arc and can thus fire at the same target).  

I found the Lanc to be the most interesting of the two, for this reason.  I don't know how long the Lancaster is, but assuming the bullets fire in  parallel lines, there should always be two clear areas of impact on the bullseye (so if you fire the nose gun at a 90 degree angle, the tail gun will also fire at a 90 degree angle).

At 100 yards, there was.  There were two easily discernable areas of impact, and there was no overlap. The distance between the closest edges of the impact areas was 3 circles wide.

At 300 yards however, the main areas of impact were closer.  The close edges of the impact points were only 2 circles apart.

At 500 yards, there was one impact area.  There was not two seperate impact areas that to me would indicate two guns set 60 feet apart firing parallel to one another.  

This behaviour could concievably be explained away by saying that there is obviously some deviation in the path of the bullets that are fired out of the machineguns.  Could a ballistics expert tell me how wide the "beaten zone" (I know that is the term for ground MG's, not sure if it applies to air MG's to) would be for a target at 500 yards?  Also.. the circles on that target are in yards, or feet?  I know it is 10 units of something, cannot remember the measurement.  

Anyway, assuming the circles are in feet.  At 100 yards, there are clear impact areas where at least 95% of the bullets hit.  I would guess that the area is perhaps a circle with a diameter of 2 feet or so (just based on my observation of the pattern on the .target).  These impact areas are seperate for the nose and tail, and are 3 'circles' apart from one another.  If the circles are in feet, the distance is 30 feet between the close edges of the zones (which are actually seperate for each barrel at 100 yards- you get 4 very small, very dark blobs).

At 300 yards, you still get very clear impact zones, but they have somehow moved 10 'units' closer together.  Also, the twin barrels of each turret have merged into one impact area.  Would some sort of deviation from the normal (parallel, straight) firing line somehow account for the fact that the area where the majority of the bullets hit have moved 10 feet (or yards) closer together?

Furthermore, at 500 yards you get one large impact area.  It is no longer possible to tell that the turrets are on opposite ends of the bomber (at least I couldn't tell, there were definately not two seperate impact areas corresponding to the two seperate turrets).  Again, could some "spray" effect be taking place here that makes the majority of the bullets fired from both turrets land in the same area?  

The B17's results were not as clear as the Lanc's results were, in part because I could not isolate two guns that were a significant distance away from eachother to get the same sort of results.  However, I did notice the same pattern- at 100 yards there are clear and definable areas of impact for each seperate gun, at 300 yards there are still multiple areas of impact, at 500 yards there are no longer multiple areas of impact, just one larger one.

Could some ballistic's experts (Tony, and I know there are others out there that know far more than I do) study this and perhaps attempt to replicate it?  Is there an explanation other than the one that I have put forth?  That being that the buff guns do NOT, in fact, fire in parallel lines, but do in fact converge at a range that I do not know, but looks to be somewhere around 500 or 600 yards.

Anyway, just looking for some clarification on this issue, thanks in advance.

[ 10-30-2001: Message edited by: Urchin ]

Offline Hooligan

• Silver Member
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2001, 12:22:00 AM »
At 500 yards a single .50 BMG firing from an aircraft in flight should make something like a 20 foot diameter circle.  The distance between the 2 gun barrels of a turret is essentially meaningless compared to the bullet dispersion at this range.

Check out:
 http://www.cris.com/~reaper/gunnery/gunnery.html

Hooligan

Offline Urchin

• Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2001, 01:28:00 AM »
Ok.. I checked out the length of a Lancaster.  It is 68 feet long.  The nose and tail turrets are obviously on either side of that length, but lets be conservative and say a distance of 60 feet between them.  

So, using your numbers as an example, you would have essentially 2 20 foot circles, with the INSIDE edges of the circles (the edge closest to the other circle) still 20 feet apart.

Yet, using the .target command, you can see that this is not the case.  There is one (larger) area where the majority of the rounds land.

This leads me to state two possible causes.  Either the 'cone of dispersion' (and this only hold true for the .50 in the tail, since the nose is .30 caliber it could be significantly different, although I doubt that is the case) is between 30 and 35 feet in Aces High, not 20 as you said it would be in real life- OR - the guns on the bombers do NOT fire in parallel lines, but converge at some point in space.

Offline hitech

• Administrator
  • Administrator
      • http://www.hitechcreations.com
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2001, 10:29:00 AM »
It apears to me you are just seeing dispersion overlap.

HiTech

Offline Nifty

• Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2001, 10:49:00 AM »
aww, how come you didn't take screenshots???   :(
proud member of the 332nd Flying Mongrels, noses in the wind since 1997.

Offline Urchin

• Platinum Member
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2001, 01:25:00 PM »
Geez Nifty.. I don't have any way to post them anyway!  

Hitech, I don't know how far down you read.  Hooligan was kind enough to tell me that the 'circle of dispersion' at 500 yards for a .50 caliber machinegun would be a circle with a diameter or roughly 20 feet.  I'll assume that a .30 caliber machinegun would be similar, if not exactly the same.  So at 500 yards, two turrets that are 60 feet apart, pointing in the exact same direction (because buff guns fire parallel, remember), would produce a pattern with 2 20 foot circles (roughly) that would STILL have a gap in between them of roughly 20 feet.  

Instead, you get ONE large blob where the majority of the rounds hit.  I honestly don't think that dispersion could account for that, especially not at 500 yards.  I believe you would STILL see two seperate areas of impact with some space in between them (like you do at 300 yards).

I'll do it again and take screenshots, but I don't have any sort of host to put them on, so I can't post them to the board.

Offline Wotan

• Platinum Member
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2001, 01:28:00 PM »
email umm to me Urchin

wotan@fw-190.com
if you mail them as a full res .bmp please break um in several emails.

Offline Urchin

• Platinum Member
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2001, 02:07:00 PM »
Mailed you 4 pictures Wotan.  I have a normal 100 yard shot (nothing compared), a 100/300 yard shot, and two 300/500 yard shots.  

I even scrawled on their in retardese (well, I used paint, and I'm not so good at writing with a mouse) what the different ranges were.  

I'd have loved to gotten a 100,300,500 yard shot, but I'd need to use the entire target for that, and I was trying to keep the top turret out.

Offline Hooligan

• Silver Member
« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2001, 02:24:00 PM »
Don't take the 20' as gospel  :).  That is just my estimate based on what I saw on Ogre's web page (i.e. his estimate).  

I just tested it myself offline from the front turret (traveling due west).  There are 2 distinct dispersion patterns hitting the target at 500 yards but their edges touch.  Its easy to see if you fire only the front guns (b key) and then both turrets (f key).  The dispersion pattern is also widened I believe because you are firing at at target out of the side of the aircraft.  If you fire the front guns while heading due N at the target at 500 yards you will see a narrower pattern.

Hooligan

Offline Wotan

• Platinum Member
« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2001, 04:03:00 PM »

heres the images urchin sent to me to post i cropped for size.

edit

it seems by the images to me the further the conversion the tighter the cone
  :rolleyes:

[ 10-31-2001: Message edited by: Wotan ]

Offline mrfish

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2001, 07:01:00 PM »
urchin amigo -

1. locate nearest cute girl
2. ask on date
3. repeat as necessary

;)

Offline Tac

• Platinum Member
« Reply #11 on: October 31, 2001, 07:43:00 PM »
and that is why the 1 ping kill of death when you begin to attack a buff is so common, yet at close range you can wag left-right and evade almost all incoming fire. Cute.

Offline Urchin

• Platinum Member
« Reply #12 on: October 31, 2001, 08:16:00 PM »
Originally posted by mrfish:
urchin amigo -

1. locate nearest cute girl
2. ask on date
3. repeat as necessary

;)

LOL mrfish  :).  All the cute girls in a 3 state radius have already turned me down.  I'm working my way through the ugly girls now, then I guess I'll have to start heading to West Virginia and asking out the fluffiest sheep I can find  :)

Offline LePaul

• Platinum Member
« Reply #13 on: October 31, 2001, 09:24:00 PM »
And when you find that perfect sheep, flatter her with VELCRO so she dont get away and you can begin to post "happier" things, eh?

:D

Offline Blue Mako

• Silver Member
      • http://www.brauncomustangs.org/BLUEmako.htm
« Reply #14 on: October 31, 2001, 09:35:00 PM »
Originally posted by Tac:
and that is why the 1 ping kill of death when you begin to attack a buff is so common, yet at close range you can wag left-right and evade almost all incoming fire. Cute.

Tac,

I don't see how you relate this to the gun dispersion issue raised here.  I think the effect you are referring to is different.  Maybe it is because:

When at long range from a buff, maneuvering does not produce any large, sudden angle difference to the buff.  Thus he can track you easily.

At close range, though, maneuvering gives large angle changes which are difficult to track.  Thus at close range you are less likely to be tracked and hit consistently.