Author Topic: AH reviewed at GameSpy  (Read 246 times)

Offline Lephturn

• Silver Member
      • http://lephturn.webhop.net
AH reviewed at GameSpy
« on: March 13, 2002, 07:52:00 AM »
http://www.gamespy.com/reviews/february02/aceshigh/

They make some glaring errors in the review, but it seems honest enough overall.

BTW, I've emailed them about the errors already.

Offline Ripsnort

• Radioactive Member
AH reviewed at GameSpy
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2002, 08:08:56 AM »
Thks for the link Leph!

Offline Creamo

• Parolee
  • Platinum Member
      • http://www.fatchicksinpartyhats.com
AH reviewed at GameSpy
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2002, 08:09:43 AM »
As I assume he was a newbie to AH, he exceeds even what a casual player might note initially, and as a reviewer, show’s he properly investigated and played the game reviewed, and even touches on what a long time player see’s on most accounts.

I see no glaring flaws, but a well-rounded general review of the game as it is.

The militant die-hard may might respond to make reference to “glaring errors”, but as a whole, and an outsider, he’s made a very nice review.

His observations make me wonder if it ain’t Laz2.-

”The aircraft are the big draw of Aces High. Let's dispense with the pleasantries, Aces High was intended as a primarily aircraft-based game. Therefore, it's no surprise that the flight model and selection of planes is top-notch. Since Aces High is not actually based in a real-world setting, all sides can choose German and Allied fighters, bombers and attack aircraft.”

No toejam, and dead on.

Offline Ripsnort

• Radioactive Member
AH reviewed at GameSpy
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2002, 08:15:32 AM »
Originally posted by Creamo

”The aircraft are the big draw of Aces High. Let's dispense with the pleasantries, Aces High was intended as a primarily aircraft-based game. Therefore, it's no surprise that the flight model and selection of planes is top-notch. Since Aces High is not actually based in a real-world setting, all sides can choose German and Allied fighters, bombers and attack aircraft.”

It fails to mention the "mostly" historical CT set ups, and the historical scenario's, which is the main attraction for a good part of the community.

Offline Mickey1992

• Gold Member
AH reviewed at GameSpy
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2002, 08:16:36 AM »
What?!?  There are only 2 external screenshots of aircraft in the review and they chose to show the C47 and TBM!?!  Something tells me the reviewer did a lot of bombing runs. :D

Offline Creamo

• Parolee
  • Platinum Member
AH reviewed at GameSpy
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2002, 08:21:46 AM »
Yeah, 0 flyers in the CT and a "Hysterical Scenario" sandbox fight that cancelled the Sissly Event.

Shut up fool.

Your backing up my point that this guy got the jist of AH without all yer ultra-realism gayness that is the downfall of what makes this sim great for the majority of us.

Now go award yourself a .gif medal. Stay out of a good reviewers points.

Offline Ripsnort

• Radioactive Member
AH reviewed at GameSpy
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2002, 08:27:49 AM »
Creamo, get back on your knees Foo!

Offline lazs2

• Radioactive Member
AH reviewed at GameSpy
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2002, 08:28:04 AM »
well... that was a triffle harsh creamo..   Correct, but harsh.  

You make me proud... Brought a little tear to this poor, worn out old mans eye..
lazs

Offline J_A_B

• Gold Member
AH reviewed at GameSpy
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2002, 08:39:17 AM »
"Some German fighters include BF-109s, FWU-1s, and FW-190s. "

I think this statement qualifies as a "glaring error".   That, or I WANT one of those German "FWU-1's"!!!!!!!!   :)

J_A_B

Offline Creamo

• Parolee
  • Platinum Member
AH reviewed at GameSpy
« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2002, 08:43:34 AM »
S! WTG! Amazing! LOL! :) :p :eek: :) :D

Offline Staga

• Parolee
  • Platinum Member
      • http://www.nohomersclub.com/
AH reviewed at GameSpy
« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2002, 09:03:39 AM »

There's far too many perks of Aces High to include here. I'll briefly mention perk points, which are won by successful sorties. These points can be saved, and used to purchase planes that simply perform better, like the ME-110.

Do they know something we dont?
:D

Offline Lephturn

• Silver Member
      • http://lephturn.webhop.net
AH reviewed at GameSpy
« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2002, 09:28:31 AM »
The "glaring errors" were the two you guys picked out above as well as:

- He says the cockpits and aircraft skins can be user-created.  They can't be.

- He says at the end to download the demo.  There is no demo, that's the whole game. :)

Other than that though I agree it is a good review and pretty much right on IMO given the reviewer's point of view.

Offline Sabre

• Gold Member
      • Rich Owen
AH reviewed at GameSpy
« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2002, 09:51:05 AM »
Always nice to see AH getting positive press.  Having done a number of game reviews myself, I can appreciate the difficulty of really getting to know a game in just a couple of weeks.  Still, I found the review to be somewhat superficial, like the reviewer spent most if not all of his on-line time exploring only one aspect of the game.  Without pointing out the most obvious (to us;)) errors, I offer the very statement Creamo hails in his post above.  To wit,

Perhaps it's just a simple mental hiccup, but people reading the review might infer that German aircraft are the only axis planes available.  I could also understand the reviewer mistaking the cruiser in a CVBG for a battleship (and getting the number wrong), but mistaking a half-track for a jeep, or the Me-110 for a "high performance" perk plane?  His description of the strat and logistics in the game is a bit weak too.  As Rip notes, the lack of mention of the other arenas and event options leads me to suspect that he didn't didn't research these or participate in them.  He could also have expanded a bit more on the different types of missions people can run (level bombing, JABO, field gun manning, train/convoy hunting, as examples).  I also think a few words on the community aspects of the game would have been nice, such as the squadron system, terrain designers, CM's, and other community volunteers would have rounded out the review.  Finally, no game is perfect...even AH.  Yet there is no mention of the things the review might consider areas of weakness, or things he felt were lacking.  

In short, I felt the review really doesn't give a clear picture of AH in total, neither does it talk enough about the aircraft and flight model to claim that was the review's primary purpose.  Over all, I'd give it a straight "B" grade.  He obviously liked the game (or was smart enough to realize he didn't know it well enough to talk it down).  Just my semi-professional opinion:).
Sabre
"The urge to save humanity almost always masks a desire to rule it."

Offline LePaul

• Platinum Member
AH reviewed at GameSpy
« Reply #13 on: March 13, 2002, 09:59:44 AM »
My guess is that the reviewer was on last week, when we were forever stuck on the NDIsle map.  He must have thought that's all we had for maps, since he states...

"Aces High is played on a series of islands, on which are a multitude of bases and factories. Three teams, the Knights, Bishops, and Rooks, fight each other for control of the islands and their resources. "

But, from an outsider's look in, he did a pretty good job overall.

And he flew Knight...poor soul  :)

Offline J_A_B

• Gold Member
AH reviewed at GameSpy
« Reply #14 on: March 13, 2002, 10:03:24 AM »
They MUST know something we don't Staga, because even if the ME-110 WAS perk material, it'd be sort of tough to spend perkpoints on it considering how it isn't even in the game at this point.

J_A_B