Author Topic: Mossie Tips/Tricks  (Read 271 times)

Offline Soviet

• Nickel Member
      • http://flanker2.8m.net
Mossie Tips/Tricks
« on: March 16, 2002, 11:24:07 PM »
I've been flying the mossie as sort of a heavy fighter recently.  Some told me to fly it as a jug and i've been doing that to some good success.  I absolutly LOVE the guns :)

There are some things I notice, it seems to have more power than the Jug, sure the jug may be a little faster (i think) but i thin the zoom climb of the mossie may be better.

How is it at Rope-a-dope? and what are some other good tactics to use?

Offline FTJR

• Silver Member
Mossie Tips/Tricks
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2002, 12:40:20 AM »
I've been playing with a bit. The only thing I can say is its great at Head On's . If there is more than one enemy fighter you had better have some friendlies guarding your tail. It really doesn't turn that well and DONT go vertical, It stinks in that department.

But having said that it is great fun. Im curious how it matches up to the Me110 for turn fighting.

;) :D
Bring the Beaufighter to Aces High
Raw Prawns      

B.O.S.S. "Beaufighter Operator Support Services" 
Storms and Aeroplanes dont mix

Offline Dashe

• Zinc Member
Mossie Tips/Tricks
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2002, 06:33:47 AM »
Originally posted by FTJR

But having said that it is great fun. Im curious how it matches up to the Me110 for turn fighting.

;) :D [/B]

Having flown both quite a bit, don't get into a turnfight in a mossie against a 110G.  The mossie is too much a bomber and the 110 too fighterish for a mossie to win by more than luck or total pilot mismatch.  It takes a lot longer for a mossie to kill me in a 110 than a 110 takes to kill my mossies  lol

Dashe

Offline thrila

• Gold Member
      • The Few Squadron
Mossie Tips/Tricks
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2002, 08:50:29 AM »
How did i miss this mossie post!!??:eek:

I love flying the mossie:D   I'm doing quite well with the mossie this tour i'm 79/17.

The mossie packs a mean punch, it can reach out to 1.1k and get a kill (make sure you have convergence set as far as it can go for the 20mm).  The mossie dives very well, if you ever get in trouble just WEP and dive away.  The climb on the mossie is pretty patchetic, however the zoom climb is great.   Once you get a bit of speed the mossie will perform quite well.  When i turn with the mossie i don't usually try to gain on the con, i just do a lazy lag pursuit and wait for the con to do something else.  Usually they'll see i'm still on their 6 and either try the scissors or try to dive away.  Because i'm in lag pursuit i'm already setup for the snapshot if they try the scissors and if they try to dive away they got another thing coming - MUAHAHAHAHA!!!:D

I mainly use B n Z tactics when flying the mossie, the mossie has quite good manouverability at high speeds- especially the rudder.  If People catch me diving on them and try to perform a break turn you can whack on full rudder in the direction they're headed and give them a nice spray.  Works a treat!!

Don't be afraid to HO either, you have 4 nose mounted 20mm remember.  I usually start firing at 1k in a HO and usually start landing hits before the con has started firing.  If anyone calls you a dweeb for Ho-ing  take it as a complement- i'm very good at Ho-ing and wish someone would call me a HO-dweeb.:D    

3 nights ago i was at about 10k and spotted a co-alt n1k and spit winging together.  They turned to engage me and i HO them both 1 after the other.  The n1k blew up and the spit lost a wing:)  all this in a couple of seconds heheh.

Couple of weeks ago on the NIsles map i HO 2 190D's that were winging together.  The funny thing was that they both tried to avoid it but i took 1 190's wing off and hit the oil in the other.  Made a second HO pass at the damaged 190 and he lost a wing also. :D  Wihin seconds ch1 was full of calls of "HO dweeb" "learn some ACM" heheheh.  I replied with " I'm in a mossie, you two were in 190D's you guys must really suck to lose to me"   now that really got them angry, at this stage i was struggling with air because i was laughing so hard.  For about 5 mins afterwards they were still on ch1 saying stuff- one of the funniest nights i've played AH thats for sure.:)

Oh yeah, don't turn with the 110....ever!!!!

Rope a dope is a my fave move to do against cons.  Dive on them and climb away and watch as they try to follow you.  I think it's works well in the mossie because people think "aha! the mossie is awful at climbing, now i'll have him!"  but in a zoom climb the mossie is pretty good .  Wait for the con to start to stall out and dive on him for an easy shot.  

Go to the Vitual Training Academy and download my mossie Rope a Dope there-  MUAHAHAHAHA!!!:D VTA
« Last Edit: March 20, 2002, 09:04:08 AM by thrila »
"Willy's gone and made another,
Something like it's elder brother-
Wing tips rounded, spinner's bigger.
Unbraced tailplane ends it's figure.
One-O-nine F is it's name-
F is for futile, not for fame."