Author Topic: AH Deleted?  (Read 347 times)

Offline Dusky

• Zinc Member
AH Deleted?
« on: September 15, 2001, 05:11:00 PM »
A weird thing happened a couple nights ago when I was leaving a H2H host. I was in a hurry so I hit alt-F4 and was on my way.
The next time I tried to start AH, it first said "missing shortcut". I checked my AH folder.. empty and nowhere to be found.
Something managed to wipe it out from my HD.
Left me wondering for a while.
Any clues why?

-Myst

Offline Nomde

• Nickel Member
      • Web Master
AH Deleted?
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2001, 05:35:00 PM »
You married Dusky?   :D

[ 09-15-2001: Message edited by: Nomde ]

Nomde
56th Fighter Group "Zemke's Wolfpack"
nomde@56fg.net

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
AH Deleted?
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2001, 06:48:00 PM »
LOL Nomde!   :D
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com

Offline sax

• Gold Member
      • http://www.13thtas.com
AH Deleted?
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2001, 09:24:00 PM »
Thats funny :)

Sax

Offline hazed-

• Gold Member
      • http://combatarena.users.btopenworld.com
AH Deleted?
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2001, 10:39:00 PM »
ROFL nomde

Offline bloom25

• Silver Member
AH Deleted?
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2001, 01:52:00 AM »
One time I accidentally cut and pasted my entire AH settings folder.  After I went beserk for a few minutes I figured out what I had done and moved it back to where it belonged.

I'd first check your recycle bin and then do a search for aceshigh.exe and see if the files were just moved by accident.

Offline Dusky

• Zinc Member
AH Deleted?
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2001, 11:11:00 AM »
Nah, H2H handle  :)

I've checked my whole computer but AH was wiped out. AH folder was not open so cut/paste isn't an option. I haven't made any changes to AH after I alt-F4d either. Besides, I was away only for a few minutes so noone else in my family could have done it either. Dont have the recycle bin in use, so that won't help either. Bizarre.

Offline Grimm

• Silver Member
AH Deleted?
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2001, 12:09:00 PM »
This reminds me of the time I was helping a Squadmate.  She and her husband where both flyers and she had the old computer when her husband got an upgrade.

We needed to clean up the HardDrive and delete some the games and files no longer needed or used. This ment getting rid of many of his old wargames and such.

After deleting several files, we can across a file called - DOS BOOT -

She Promptley said "Yeah, Delete that Submarine Game"  

Well, We all laughed for days and were glad we didnt delete that by accident.

I dont know what happened in your instance, possibly part of your directory went bad?

Offline Nomde

• Nickel Member
      • Web Master
AH Deleted?
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2001, 12:24:00 PM »
Hi Dusky me again  :)
Have you checked your entire system? I.E. do you have your hard drive partitioned into different drives and it may be installed on another drive, or buried in another directory? My default directory for Aces High is under c:\programs files\aces high

I've worked on computers for a bit now and have seen many "funny" things happen that you can't figure for the life of you. The "fumble finger" syndrom is a devastating action sometime when the wrong key combo is activated. You could have a directory window open in the background then alt+tab out of an application and accidentally depress alt+x with the finger depressing the alt button. Stranger things have happened, trust me, i've done em    :eek:   ;)

Nomde
56th Fighter Group "Zemke's Wolfpack"
nomde@56fg.net

Offline Kratzer

• Gold Member
      • http://www.luftjagerkorps.com/
AH Deleted?
« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2001, 12:15:00 PM »
Had a friend who did a lot of Unix stuff, and was working on his Master's thesis in MS Word for 3 or 4 hours without saving... he was into the flow, and getting a few wires crossed, hit CTRL-W to delete the last typo'd word he'd written.  He was reminded that he wasn't in Unix when a message popped up asking if he wanted to save... thinking that, no, what he really wanted to do was get rid of that last word and finish his sentence before he saved, he clicked 'No', then watched in horror as Word closed - taking his thesis with it.

Offline Dusky

• Zinc Member
AH Deleted?
« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2001, 03:44:00 PM »
Yep, ran a search on all partitions, no luck. Dont think it was the "fumble finger syndrome" either, since it would have prompted me to delete the files, plus Im quite sure I didnt have a folder open. And another thing to back that up.. AH folder is still there, all files are gone.
Btw I'm quite familiar with "computers making funny things".. mebbe a bit too familiar by now     :p

Offline Voss

• Silver Member
      • http://www.bombardieraerospace.com
AH Deleted?
« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2001, 12:11:00 AM »
Could be your controller cable is about to fry, or the HD is getting worn out. I had a cable go out once, and it caused things like this. For some odd reason Explorer was displaying two different hard drives with the same folders on them, when in fact only one existed.

Offline Dusky

• Zinc Member
AH Deleted?
« Reply #12 on: September 18, 2001, 08:35:00 AM »
Could be something with the HD or cable..
did a clean format/install of win98 a couple weeks ago. I also installed a new HD that I had. Now I have AH on the new HD, so someone could draw some conclusions.
If anything else like this happens I'm sure going to check it out.