Author Topic: nose bouncing & joystick setup  (Read 354 times)

Offline Naudet

• Nickel Member
nose bouncing & joystick setup
« on: March 19, 2002, 03:00:48 PM »
Today something messed up both my Windows and AH Joystick setups. I got it running again, but now i have a "nose bouncing" problem in AH.

The planes seem to be very nervous around the pitch axis, so if i try to make a minor correction for aiming the plane makes a huge hop and ruins all gun solutions.
Its just the motion around the very center position that makes troubles, making small movements extremly difficult.
Can i counter that with increased deadband and or damping?

Offline RangerBob

• Zinc Member
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2002, 03:55:21 PM »
I know this sounds kinda basic, but have you recalibrated all axis in both Windows and in Aces High calibration routines??

What you're describing is exactly what happens when the stick is out of calibration.

After that you can try a deadband, depending upon how much of a deadband you need, but I would look for the source of the problem rather than the symptomatic fix. It worked once, something changed, now it doesn't work. Find out what changed, instead of trying to cover up the problem, if you know what I mean.

Good luck

Ranger Bob

Offline Naudet

• Nickel Member
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2002, 05:55:17 AM »
I calibrated all axis. In Windows and in AH. And i did not do that cause i wanted it, i had to cause something messed the calibration up.

I had to work for about 1 hour to get them running again.
And the nervous tendencies around the vertikal is the only thing left.

Offline bikekil

• Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2002, 06:37:13 AM »
when you enter joystick menu in gmae you 'll see a nice graph showing you what's going on with your calibration. while you are there, check it... i had the same problem with my old joystick and it was something (i can't recall english name of this part) broken. was forced to buy a new one.
If there is something you CAN NOT fix by calibration, deadband,reinstalling drivers - consider buying a new joystick

Offline SKurj

• Gold Member
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2002, 09:39:03 AM »
If you are using an MS stick its a fight to get rid of the bounce.  The stick has such a short throw and is especially sensitive around center.
Best fix I found was to buy a longer throw stick (ie Saitek)

SKurj