Author Topic: A tribute to a member of this community  (Read 966 times)

Offline daddog

• Aces High CM Staff (Retired)
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://www.332nd.org
A tribute to a member of this community
« on: September 15, 2001, 10:04:00 PM »
Time to honor a long time sim pilot.

I first met him about 4 years ago in Kali. Warbirds version 1.1 or something like that. A fellow by the name of Vondoom introduced us and suggested we go head to head. The beginning of a long friendship. At first he was an easy kill. I had no problem hooking on to his six and staying there. As the weeks wore on it was increasingly more difficult each time we flew.  I don't remember when he finally shot me down but the text buffer was full of YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! and the like.  ;)

Was around that time I opened a Warbirds account and began to fly in the arena, but the two of us kept flying h/h several times a week. After a couple of months I started the 332nd Flying Mongrels and he went another direction by forming a head to head squadron called the Black Aces with kieren. Kieren also hosted a BB for our squads and naturally Mongrels formed a sister squad relationship with the Black Aces. The Black Aces were active on the dueling ladder hosted by the Red Falcons. A few in my squad participated in the ladder, but I was no too interested. By the time our squads had several members each the student was now the teacher. When we had time for h/h he would often best me. I know for a time he was near the top of the ladder but with so many good sticks it was tough for anyone to stay there long. Certainly kieren handed me my chute more than once when he and I went head to head. Vondoom, well when I finally did shoot him down the whole Glazier house hold heard about it.  I never could do it consistently.  :)

The Black Aces had there up's and downs. Many went to flying on line when "Fighter Ops" opened the door. That gave the Mongrels and the Black Aces a chance to fly together quite often. In time a few of the Black Aces joined the Mongrels and the head to head squadron faded into history. Around that time I put my old Warbirds Kali head to head partner on our roster. He was pleased and for once speechless.  :) To this day he is the ONLY member of the 332nd Flying Mongrels that was never voted on.  Not sure if he even realizes that. I went through several good X.O. but this guy was the only one who stuck around. We seemed to complement each other and still do today. He tends to have more of a bark than I do and sees things more black and white while I tend to be more diplomatic. Nevertheless we made a good team.

It was his lead that brought the whole squad to Aces High. At the time of the move we were one of the largest squads in Warbirds. On our roster we had 42 members. Of course like most squads you only get about 50% showing up, but on a good day there were nearly 30 Mongrels in the historical arena.  :)  Coming to Aces High was difficult and our ranks for various reasons were cut to about ¼ of what we had. To this day I am thankful that he started the charge and lead the squadron to Aces High. For a while he ran the Mongrels when my system was down for about 3 months and if not for him I am sure our ranks would be even less then they are.

We have been here now for well over a year. Both of us took a break for a few months as C.O. and X.O. of the 332nd Flying Mongrels and handed it off to Gospel and Ozark. They did a great job, which allowed us to concentrate on our CM duties and for me getting the Snapshots and Check 6 events off the ground. For him he also had to help train which is something he has enjoyed for years and still does.
More recently he has become instrumental in helping with the Large Multi frame events we have had, and in setting up the Tour of Duties.  He is the only fellow I know that can set up an arena and dog fight at the same time.  :)

Just yesterday he had a bit of a mile stone with our squad. He flew his 100th mission with the 332nd Flying Mongrels. Each week we have a chance for members to fly and add "1" to their number of missions. One hundred missions is 100 weeks of attending our squad nights. He has earned no less then 13 of our squadron awards and deserves twice that.

Ghosth I want to publicly thank you for all you have done for the Aces High community, for the CM Group, for the Instructor Corps, for our squad, and for me personally. My life is better for knowing you and for having the pleasure to meet you personally.

<S>

Your friend,
-----------------
CM CO daddog
332nd Flying Mongrels
Snapshots & TOD
Noses in the wind since 1997.

Our obligations to our country never cease but with our lives.
John Adams, 1808
Noses in the wind since 1997
332nd Flying Mongrels
daddog
Knowing for Sure

Offline VFJACKAL

• Copper Member
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2001, 10:12:00 PM »
Ghosth is a class act. He was the first guy to teach me anything about Aces High. He truly is a nice person.

BIG CONGRATS GHOSTH and thanks from a couple of Ironangels VF14.  :)   :D   :)   :D

Offline Ghosth

• AH Training Corps (retired)
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://332nd.org
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2001, 10:59:00 PM »
May 1996 I got married, moved into a new apartment, started some drastic life changes.
Includeing a 12 yr old stepdaughter, finding out that most of the friends I thought I had really were not friends.

June of 96 I went online for the first time, by july was flying A-10 Cuba on Kali. Met vondoom (currently vondee in AH) and got introduced to Warbirds H2H. By Auguest I'd met & flown with Daddog for the first time and started one amazing friendship.

Yes old buddy, it's 5 years not 4. Time fly's when your having fun.   :) Where indeed did all that time go? Been a lot of good fights, much laughter, and a few shared tears.

<S> Mongrels, & online friends. Been a heck of a ride so far!

Offline Gunthr

• Gold Member
      • http://www.dot.squat
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2001, 11:08:00 PM »
A sharp, snappy SALUTE, and thanks to Ghosth...  :)

Like many others, he threw me a rope when I first started WB and didn't have a clue about anything...  I noticed right away that this guy could multi-task extremely well, and he helped anybody who needed it. Still does...

An all 'round great guy...

Gunthr
"When I speak I put on a mask. When I act, I am forced to take it off."  - Helvetius 18th Century

Offline Nifty

• Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2001, 01:30:00 AM »
WOOT!  'Atta boy, Ghosth!  It'll take me another year and 8 months without missing a single week to get up to where you are right now!   :)  Here's a crisp and sharp <S!> for you, sir!
proud member of the 332nd Flying Mongrels, noses in the wind since 1997.

Offline AKcurly

• Silver Member
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2001, 01:41:00 AM »
WTG Ghosth!  Nimitz introduced me to ghosth about 18 months ago.  I think Nimitz had just convinced Ghosth to fly the La5.

We've had an immense amount of fun in the arena and I've never seen a critical word in the text buffer by Ghosth's name.

Good guy, good stick and a lot of fun.  :)

S!

AKcurly

Offline Mark Luper

• Silver Member
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2001, 05:24:00 AM »
Salute GhostH, I too see you as a class act and a real positive influence in AH. You are one of the people I most enjoy tangling with  in the virtual skies. Always a good sport and an excellent stick.

MarkAT

Keep the shiny side up!

Offline popeye

• Gold Member
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2001, 06:55:00 AM »
<S!> Ghosth.  Always glad to see you online, whether I'm flying wit ya or agin ya.   :)

popeye
KONG

Where is Major Kong?!?

Offline Apar1

• Copper Member
      • http://gruenherz.carnimaniac.pronym.org/
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2001, 07:08:00 AM »
S! Ghosth, enjoyin the CT sesions,   :)

Offline GA

• Gold Member
      • http://www.332viking.no
« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2001, 07:23:00 AM »
<S> GHOSTH

Thx for your help when i was new to Aces high, you draged me into the Mongrels  :), and look what you have made off me  :D, Yes its true i finaly got my Wings in the Aces high at the end :D

[ 09-16-2001: Message edited by: GA ]

Offline oboe

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2001, 07:30:00 AM »
<S> Ghosth!

You were there on my first night online in AH, recognized my handle from Warbirds and made me feel welcome.

Always enjoy seeing you in the virtual skies.

Congrats on your milestone!

Offline Naso

• Silver Member
      • http://www.4stormo.it
« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2001, 07:50:00 AM »
<S>! Ghosth  :)

Offline Booker

• Zinc Member
« Reply #12 on: September 16, 2001, 08:35:00 AM »
A glass of the Good Stuff to you and all the Mongrels, ghosth. Happy 100th   :)

Booker

Offline -ammo-

• Platinum Member
« Reply #13 on: September 16, 2001, 08:46:00 AM »
Wow Booker peeks in! :)

Well Ghosth, he was and is the largest influence on me in my addiction with flight sims. I remember many a H2H in WB's where he handed me my but in the dreaded Val :) You have been a friend and someone I can always count on you to be solid. Thx a bunch Ghosth.
Commanding Officer, 56 Fighter Group
Retired USAF - 1988 - 2011

Offline Pkrl

• Zinc Member
« Reply #14 on: September 16, 2001, 09:04:00 AM »
Without a doubt Ghosth is one of the classiest guys in the game and a great asset to the AH community.

I met Ghosth back in the original Fighter Ops days and his great attitude and love of teamwork immediatly impressed me.

Here's to ya old friend, <S>!  :)