Author Topic: Opinion on Night Fighting in Aces High  (Read 513 times)

Offline dtango

• Silver Member
Opinion on Night Fighting in Aces High
« Reply #15 on: July 31, 2001, 09:29:00 AM »
Ooops!  King, thanks for catching my math error.  I guess they should flog my 3rd grade math teacher for passing me!

Buzzbait, I think you and I are on the same wavelength with night-fighting.  I was suprised as I found out more about areial night-fighting in WW2, especially about the fighter vs. fighter hunts that would go on in the night along with the usual fighter vs. bomber engagements.  Using flares to illuminate convoys sounds like a great idea as well.  The addition of flak bursts that flash at night would be pretty cool too.

StSanta, I'm the same with current night in AH.  If I log on when it is night, I usually won't stick around.  If I'm on and then night comes, there's a 75% I'll log.  All for the very reason you stated about being difficult to see the enemy.  

I guess the ideas boil down to trying to change the AH night environment so that it will attract and offer incentives for more people to fly and fight.

EagleC reduction of the icon distance as without balancing that out with planes suited for night-fighting would be pointless to me.  That would just exacerbate the "I can't see a darn thing" problem.
Tango / Tango412 412th FS Braunco Mustangs
"At times it seems like people think they can chuck bunch of anecdotes into some converter which comes up with the flight model." (Wmaker)

Offline dtango

• Silver Member
Opinion on Night Fighting in Aces High
« Reply #16 on: July 31, 2001, 09:37:00 AM »
St. Santa- I just realized that even in my excerpts above there is an example of a P-61 getting caught up in searchlights perhaps multiple times and those being pretty frightening moments.  The excerpt comes from an article that was an interview of a WW2 P-61 pilot.

Modena recalled his most frightening experiences during his days of piloting the P-61 were getting shot at and being caught up in search lights. “That was probably worse than being shot at,” he said. “Because when you were in search lights you couldn’t see anything.”
Tango / Tango412 412th FS Braunco Mustangs
"At times it seems like people think they can chuck bunch of anecdotes into some converter which comes up with the flight model." (Wmaker)