Author Topic: Mission Perks  (Read 464 times)

Offline Nefarious

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
Mission Perks
« on: July 31, 2001, 01:22:00 AM »
Just an Idea: (maybe already brought up)

Points for Missions in the MA: The number of total points is added together (fighter,attack,bomber,vehicle) then divided evenly amongst the mission participants.

Example:

10 B17s and 10 P51s take off for a mission

A total of say, 20 points is accumlated (bomber, attack and fighter combined)

these points will be divided up amongst the mission memebers and added to a Mission points list. The crews that shot down enemys and destoyed the target would still get thier other perks and included Mission Points
which would be 1 point.

I do not know what could be bought with "mission points" but whatever it was would promote strategy and teamwork.

Anybody care to comment?
There must also be a flyable computer available for Nefarious to do FSO. So he doesn't keep talking about it for eight and a half hours on Friday night!

Offline Paxil

• Copper Member
      • http://marathontoathens.blogspot.com
Mission Perks
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2001, 08:40:00 AM »
How dare you post a good idea! Give us something we can rip apart and complain about...

;)

Just kidding... sounds like a good idea to me.

Offline AcId

• Silver Member
Mission Perks
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2001, 08:48:00 AM »
This may just be the one thing gets people to join missions that are authored by "other" people and may actually raise the level of cooperation in the MA. There is a slight prob with people not joining missions that are not authored by certain individuals who will remain nameless Ripsnort and if the mission isn't lead by these nameless individuals Ripsnort most people don't bother joining even if it is a valid target which will benefit your country.

Not an attack on you Rip    :D just pokin fun at ya    :)

Duuuhh noone wants to play wit me! lol but up a Rip mission and here they come    ;)

I'm sure the other contries have nameless individuals too but I've only flown Knight.

[ 07-31-2001: Message edited by: AcId ]

Offline AN

• Copper Member
Mission Perks
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2001, 09:22:00 AM »
I would join more missions, but everytime I join one it ends up being a flight into undefended or poorly defended territory.  I realize that the best way to get results is to attack where the enemy isn't, but it's just boring for me and I usually end up augering for lack of anything else to do.

I'm sure not every mission is like this, but so far every one I've joined has been.

anRky

Offline Ripsnort

• Radioactive Member
Mission Perks
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2001, 09:31:00 AM »
As long as the mission has the ability to use a password protection, I would support this.

Offline AcId

• Silver Member
Mission Perks
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2001, 10:00:00 AM »
Password protection? Is that so it doesn't fill up and leave out intended pilots?

Offline Ripsnort

• Radioactive Member
Mission Perks
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2001, 10:08:00 AM »
Correct.  Also, for Squad oriented missions, where party crashers take up valuable positions (you know, the missions that have certain number of A/C for designated missions, etc)

I had one mission where the two goon positions filled up before any of the 'intended' guys got aboard (landing their sorties),well...I let it go, once enroute to the target, I had two goon drivers asking how to drop troops!  Needless to say, even with instruction, both pilots failed the mission miserably, after we annilated the field in no fewer than 11 seconds (a record!)

Offline Creamo

• Parolee
  • Platinum Member
      • http://www.fatchicksinpartyhats.com
Mission Perks
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2001, 10:09:00 AM »
Yup, you have to do 67 situps with a 200lb weight before you get the password.
  :D

[ 07-31-2001: Message edited by: Creamo ]

Offline Ripsnort

• Radioactive Member
Mission Perks
« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2001, 10:11:00 AM »
Well, maybe 'pass the physical'...in your case, you wouldn't be allowed the password... :)

Offline Ripsnort

• Radioactive Member
Mission Perks
« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2001, 10:14:00 AM »
Oh, that reminds me of another mission, where this chap ("unnamed mission joiner") was flying with us, oddly enough, before we even launced, a HUGE dar bar appeared right before roll time at the enemy field, first thing I thought was "Spy"..then check roster of mission, noted this one fellow in the mission was flying for knit, rest of his squaddies were all rook.  We spoke briefy privately, and he fessed up.  We changed targets enroute, which I purposely do from time to time just to prevent this sort of thing.

[ 07-31-2001: Message edited by: Ripsnort ]

Offline dtango

• Silver Member
Mission Perks
« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2001, 10:17:00 AM »
Great idea Nefarious.  I think that giving perk points for people in missions would be a great incentive that encourages cooperation and coordination.

Password or the ability to boot someone out of a mission would be great.

I've been there, done that with the hollering to try and get people to join a mission.  Seems that you have to pretty famous (a la Ripsnort or Zigrat) to get the responses.  BTW- I've only flown rook and Zig puts on some great missions.  (I think once Zig felt sorry for me hollering up and down with no takers and tried to give me a pep talk!  Thanks Zig.  I love you man!  :D)

Invariably when I try and put on a mission I get mainly ignored or end up with people hollering at me saying "that's a stupid mission, you should hit blah blah blah because I'm there" etc.

[ 07-31-2001: Message edited by: dtango ]
Tango / Tango412 412th FS Braunco Mustangs
"At times it seems like people think they can chuck bunch of anecdotes into some converter which comes up with the flight model." (Wmaker)

Offline Ripsnort

• Radioactive Member
Mission Perks
« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2001, 11:20:00 AM »
dtango, our names weren't exactly household names when the mission planner came along, it was a matter of good planning that makes people come back, read this thread, it'll help one as a planner, or a joiner:
 http://bbs.hitechcreations.com/smf/Smileys/default/Forum2/HTML/000591.html

Ain't nothing worse than a poorly planned mission, if your new to posting missions, and you post a badly planned one, might as well change your handle, cause its unlikely you'd get someone to join one after a bad experience.

Offline AKDejaVu

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.dbstaines.com
Mission Perks
« Reply #12 on: July 31, 2001, 11:29:00 AM »
I'm kinda indefferent to the idea for one reason.  I don't see the benifit.

Do people not join missions right now because of perk points?

Can someone get more perk points by simply flying into a furball and shooting down 2 planes than they'd get from a planned mission?

The best solution for getting people to join missions is to have well thought out and well executed missions.

AKDejaVu

Offline AKDejaVu

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.dbstaines.com
Mission Perks
« Reply #13 on: July 31, 2001, 11:30:00 AM »
basically, more people care about successful missions than care about perk points.

AKDejaVu

Offline dtango

• Silver Member
Mission Perks
« Reply #14 on: July 31, 2001, 12:10:00 PM »
Thanks for the link Rip.  Great info.  Wish there was some way of "practicing" putting together missions.  I once saved a mission but apparently didn't know that you have to reselect the position on the field you want your flights to take off from.  Talk about somewhat of a screw-up.  We had to fly out straight our the hangar!  LOL!  Glad most everyone stuck around to complete the mission eventhough we didn't get quite enough takers to make it successful.
Tango / Tango412 412th FS Braunco Mustangs
"At times it seems like people think they can chuck bunch of anecdotes into some converter which comes up with the flight model." (Wmaker)