Author Topic: Why kills aren't based on who makes the kill? HiTech- next version?  (Read 824 times)

Offline Alpo

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Silver Member
Ship kills can be posthumous
« Reply #15 on: March 11, 2002, 01:39:52 PM »
Just an fyi...

I ran a torpedo attack on several bishships only to get my PT blown out of the water after putting fish in the water.  Sitting in the tower, contemplating what to do next I was awarded with "Ship Destroyed".

Heck it was so much fun, I did it a second time... same results too :D
SkyKnights Fighter Group -CO-
R.I.P.  SKDenny 02/03/1940 - 02/19/2012

Offline Lephturn

• Silver Member
      • http://lephturn.webhop.net
Why kills aren't based on who makes the kill? HiTech- next version?
« Reply #16 on: March 11, 2002, 01:48:10 PM »
BTW, this really should be in the Gameplay Feedback forum.

You do have a valid opinion CP, I just disagree. :)  Sorry, I didn't mean to paint you with the same brush as WHINEDOBLE there.

I just have very little patience for WHINEDOBLE guys... no reflection on the rest of you.  Carry on. :)

Lephturn

Offline RangerBob

• Zinc Member
« Reply #17 on: March 11, 2002, 05:06:37 PM »
"You mean you want to be awarded a kill posthumously?  Why should you get credit for a kill after you have died?"

"That would be silly. The LAST thing you want to do is reward suicidal tactics"

The ONLY way to solve such problems is to change the system so that you don't receive kills, points, or perks unless you can finish your flight by landing or ditching in friendly territory.

Only then will a suicide attack be a true suicide attack. Receiving points, perks, and kills while dying on a mission simply encourages the dive in shoot it out head on type tactics. Why not, ever look at some of the top 100 scores? Ever notice all those 0.98 to 1.3 kill to death ratios in the crowd with tons of points? You're rewarding bad tactics with good scores.

How many of us are true ACES with a kill to death ratio of 5 to 1 or more?

Ranger Bob

Offline mrsid2

• Parolee
  • Silver Member
« Reply #18 on: March 11, 2002, 05:14:51 PM »
I am, and I still want those kills posthumously. :p

Offline kraquen

• Zinc Member
« Reply #19 on: March 25, 2002, 11:36:08 AM »
I've learned that if I'm going to HO someone, it's better to be ascending than descending.. cause you'll probably be able to stay airborne longer than the other guy =)

ka

Offline Yippee38

• Copper Member
      • http://www.cutthroats.com
« Reply #20 on: March 25, 2002, 03:41:35 PM »
At least give Acks credit for kills instead of the nearest enemy.  When I get shot down (which happens often), I like to know by whom.  If I'm in heavy ack with other players around, I want to know if my SA sucked and I got killed by a player that I didn't see, or if the ack got me.  Giving credit to the nearest enemy isn't rewarding anybody's actions.  I got shot down 'cuz I got into the ack, but now I think that somebody else snuck up on me and killed me.  I can never know who really killed me, so I can't alter my actions next time to make me a better pilot.  And the other guy gets credit for what?

I don't understand what is so unreasonable about giving credit for the kill even after the other pilot dies.  Credit and perks and/or points are two different things.  At the very least, if I shoot up a pilot and go down first, don't give anybody credit/perks/points.  Giving credit to the nearest nme is just silly.  In that case, you are rewarding somebody to just hang out in a furball and avoid fights.  I've been sitting on the ground in a GV and gotten kills without firing a shot.  What type of behavior is being rewarded there?

While I understand the argument about suicidal pilots, it seems to me that suicidal pilots are out there now, with the current situation.  If there is a problem with suicidal pilots, fix that separately.  They're not getting credit for it now, so their motivation must be different than what you believe it is.

Offline SKurj

• Gold Member
« Reply #21 on: March 26, 2002, 07:54:21 AM »
A player could have been using field ack too +)

SKurj

Offline Puck

• Gold Member
« Reply #22 on: March 28, 2002, 01:27:42 PM »
So if you got killed by player-manned field ack that player gets the score, otherwise it goes to Otto.  

As for posthumous kills, how many air medals, medals of honor, and navy crosses were awarded posthumously?  Just because you died doesn't mean all the other people floating about didn't see your {stupidly} "HEROIC" action in the face of the enemy, blah blah, blah.

IMHO if HTC jumped every time a suggestion like this hit the BBS they'd spend so much time chasing their tails nothing would get done.  Right now if I want credit for a kill I have to be living, I know this, I take this into account.  If HTC changes the kill rules, that's fine, too.  As long as I know what the deal is I can work with it.  The current system isn't perfect for me, but it seems to be perfect enough for the majority of the people flying.

There are better topics to get your panties in a wad over, like what the heck was the a/c with the TEMP icon, and how long has it been since LAZER has been slapped, and who killed JFK, anyway...  :p
//c coad  c coad run  run coad run
main (){char _[]={"S~||(iuv{nkx%K9Y$hzhhd\x0c"},__
,___=1;for(__=___>>___;__<((___<<___<<___<<___<<___
)+(___<<___<<___<<___)-___);__+=___)putchar((_[__
])+(__/((___<<___)+___))-((___&