Author Topic: 37mm NS 37  (Read 156 times)

Offline BenDover

• Platinum Member
37mm NS 37
« on: March 26, 2002, 07:10:54 PM »
ok, what gives, i just made a b26 eat at least 6 of these in the main fuselarge, but it kept on trucking?!?!?! does it fire just AP instead of the mixture of HE and AP other planes have?

Offline Soda

• Silver Member
      • http://members.shaw.ca/soda_p/models.htm
37mm NS 37
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2002, 10:34:38 AM »
Aim for the wings, 1 hit = 1 kill 95% of the time.  If you hit fuselage, even against a fighter, it might survive.  I hit a fighter twice in the belly once with 37mm and it flew away (though I caught up later and finished the job with a 3rd hit).  A pure 6 shot or a cockpit area shot usually will get a kill instantly with the 37mm though.

Make sure you only fire the 37mm on that gun package though, the other gun is all but useless anyway and only distracts you with hit sprites that don't mean anything.

37mm works excellent against PT boats.... poof.

-Soda

Offline BenDover

• Platinum Member
37mm NS 37
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2002, 12:18:11 PM »
so why does it only take 2 at the most hits from the 37mm flak on the FP to kill a buff?

I also guessed about the wings when i hit the wing and it fell off, i was so surprised that i didn't notice he was still pinging me like mad:rolleyes:

was this gun so ineffective in real life?

Offline Soda

• Silver Member
      • http://members.shaw.ca/soda_p/models.htm
37mm NS 37
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2002, 02:29:27 PM »
I don't think there is anything ineffectual about it, it's 37mm, sure, but it's not like you hit something with a 1K bomb.... it's luck of the draw and 37mm isn't a guarantee of a kill.  It's a pretty sure thing though if you can land rounds with it.  Just aim for the wings.  Nothing ineffectual about that.

A bomber can actually take a hit or two from Flak too, I've been low over a field in a B17 and taken hits from a Flakpanzer and survived.  I think the key is it must be a hit in the fuselage, anything in the tail, or on the wings, means instant removal of that appendage 95% of the time.  I think the only plane I've ever survived a hit from a Flak in that wasn't a bomber was an Il-2.  I actually took 2 hits once and could have flown away but figured my luck was good and proceeded to take a 3rd hit.

Me'thinks you expect the 37mm to be a magic bullet, but it's not.  That said, it's damn effective when you know how to hit with it.

-Soda

Offline Ghosth

• AH Training Corps (retired)
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://332nd.org
37mm NS 37
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2002, 08:56:34 AM »
You hit something solid with that 37mm and its destroyed, removed, bent, mangled and mutilated.

You hit a fuse with it and it may explode in the center doing only minor damage, or it may explode outside on the far side.

Lots of empty space in a fuse and aluminum thats barely thicker than pop cans. Doesn't give much for it to work on.

Offline SageFIN

• Copper Member
37mm NS 37
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2002, 09:41:29 AM »
Originally posted by BenDover
so why does it only take 2 at the most hits from the 37mm flak on the FP to kill a buff?

That would be HE vs AP ammo.