Author Topic: What's the best tank sim out there?  (Read 413 times)

Offline Waxer

• Zinc Member
What's the best tank sim out there?
« on: April 18, 2000, 06:08:00 PM »
I haven't played any of the box tank sims, but I'd like to try one out.

What's the best one available (and why?)

Thanks!
Wax

---
The Wrecking Crew

-rkat-

« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2000, 09:17:00 PM »
You really can't go past Panzer Elite for a full on tank sim.

Excellent graphics, sound and gameplay.

There's a demo available for d/l as well if you want to  try before you buy, but you should be able to find it in bargain bins by now.

Have a squizz at  http://www.wingssimulations.com  for more info.

cheers,

-rkat-

[This message has been edited by -rkat- (edited 04-18-2000).]

Hans

« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2000, 07:23:00 AM »
I like both Panzer Commander and Pazer Elite.

PC is a good tank sim.  It is easy to play.  It models a whole bunch of tanks, and you can even edit the files so you can drive ALL the units in the game (halftracks, assault guns, ect).

It's three drawbacks that keep it from being great:

1. Laughable ballistics model.  Point and shoot.
2. Infantry...arne't.  It has "pill boxes" that all look the same, whether it is a machinegun crew, anti-tank rifle squad, rocket/bazooka teams, ect.
3.  No in game test drive/quick battle game.  You have to create your own missions with the mission editor to drive XXXX tank.

PE is a better tank sim all around, excepting ease of use.  I haven't played it hardly at all.  My system is showing its age and doesn't run it that well.  Still, I have seen it's other fault is an extremely overcomplicated keyboard configuration.  The default setup is so convoluted that it makes little sense to me.  Shift key, alt key, control key are practically used everywhere for common keypresses.  I HIGHLY suggets the first thing you do is re-do the keyboard controls with the key-mapper.

Offline Baddawg

• Zinc Member
      • http://www.dogfighter.com
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2000, 10:28:00 AM »
In My Opinion you wont go wrong with Panzer Elite  simply Fantastic,also if you go to the  http://www.panzerelite.com/
web site there is plenty of info and downloads.
 A word of caution though Panzer Elite is a very tough simulation with a surprisingly good AI. I suggest dumbing down  the AI for the first while till you get used to  it. But use Real Ballistics!! Not bore sight  

In Aces High i still find  my self anticipating the PE German gunner  saying  in his graveley voice  AP -up!

------------------
Aces High Correspondent for  www.dogfighter.com

[This message has been edited by Baddawg (edited 04-19-2000).]

Offline Waxer

• Zinc Member
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2000, 06:04:00 PM »
Thanks, gents! I will give Panzer Elite a whirl.

I did find a copy of M1 Tank Platoon 2, and installed it this morning. Was fun, though 2 years old.

Offline Vulcan

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2000, 08:21:00 PM »
I've always been a fan of M1 Tank Platoon. #2 was good, and theres a new version due out shortly that will let you link with Gunship! gamers for big squeaking battlefields.

I just love running down them grunts :-)

-vlkn- in

Hans

« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2000, 03:06:00 AM »
M1 Tank Platoon 2 is the BEST tank sim I have owned.  That thing did everything correct.  Infantry.  A commander's copula machine gun.  Control over your friendly forces.  Hell, even the backup sight of the main gun would give you a feel for how a WW-2 sight is done.

The only thing I ever found wrong with it....it wasn't WW-2.  If Microprose could just do a WW-2 tank sim version of M1TP2 I would be in heaven.

Hanz.