Author Topic: Middle East - DejaVu?  (Read 3051 times)

Offline Udie

• Gold Member
One thing I never see mentioned in these threads....
« Reply #105 on: April 03, 2002, 03:55:49 PM »
People always ask why does America support Isreal.  Doesn't it seem resonable to think that we would support the only democracy in that region?  Especialy through the years of the cold war when the domino theory was in full effect.

Offline Vector

• Nickel Member
Middle East - DejaVu?
« Reply #106 on: April 03, 2002, 04:07:25 PM »
Originally posted by Toad
I do know we generously gave Israel the means to insure its own survival over many past years. Lord knows how much of our stuff they have and how much of our stuff they copied and now make themselves.

:D
That generously cracked me up :D
So far as I know, US has gave Israel their great support, no doubt of that! But Israel has left from your leash long time ago and you foolish US ppl still don't get it! :D
And Lord knows how much you have supported Egypt...
« Last Edit: April 03, 2002, 04:10:43 PM by Vector »

Offline Elfenwolf

• Silver Member
Middle East - DejaVu?
« Reply #107 on: April 03, 2002, 04:09:35 PM »
Originally posted by Pongo
Good post elfenwood.
This stuff is not easy.

Uh...It's MISTER Elfenwood to you Pongo.

Offline Toad

• Plutonium Member
Yeah, think about it a while Vector...
« Reply #108 on: April 03, 2002, 04:15:24 PM »
it will come to you.

We give to both Israel and then Egypt. Go figure, huh?

Think about it.

Here's some help... what Arab nations have recognized Israel?

Here's some more help... where where the Camp David accords signed? And why weren't they signed in Helsinki?

hmmmmmmmmmm.... go figure.

..and you're right. Like I said not far up thread: Israel can stand on its own now, and should. We've "got it" but it will be slow to change given the nature of US politics. But it will change.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!

Offline Vector

• Nickel Member
Middle East - DejaVu?
« Reply #109 on: April 03, 2002, 04:28:47 PM »
Hmmm go firuge from where you get your OIL?
OIL is THE word.
But anyway, it's not 1:30 am here and I have to be in work within 6 hours so I got to get some sleep now, but very interesting discussions you made toad and I'm looking for some more in tomorrow!

-vector

Offline Staga

• Parolee
  • Platinum Member
      • http://www.nohomersclub.com/
Middle East - DejaVu?
« Reply #110 on: April 03, 2002, 04:39:25 PM »
Lets see Toad:

There were no Finnish troops in desert-storm. Maybe because that really was not a peace-keeping operation.

IMHO Israel does have a right to exist but they do NOT have a right to do what nazies did in WW2: conquering "Lebensraum" (you know this term?) from neighbor countries.
Would Israel exist without support from U.S? I don't know. Do you ?

What did Finland do during those crisis?
Hmm that's a hard one: Since 1956 50,000 Finns has served in U.N peacekeeping operations (military observers, peacekeeping forces and civilian polices) which is about one percent of our whole population right now.
Finland has participated in 16 of 34 U.N peacekeeping operations.

AFAIR in U.S lives about 265million people so I'm sure you've been participated in more operations than us.
Actually I'm really interested to hear if you have somekind of numbers?

Offline Staga

• Parolee
  • Platinum Member
Middle East - DejaVu?
« Reply #111 on: April 03, 2002, 04:55:01 PM »
16 hour work day behind so I'm too tired to do calculations. Maybe Toad would search population numbers of these countries and calculate percentage of people participated in peacekeeping operations?

Offline Staga

• Parolee
  • Platinum Member
Middle East - DejaVu?
« Reply #112 on: April 03, 2002, 04:58:06 PM »
btw friend told me that those peacekeepers from Ghana were great guys and shortest of them was 6 feet tall :D

Offline Nashwan

• Silver Member
Middle East - DejaVu?
« Reply #113 on: April 03, 2002, 05:08:21 PM »
IMO, you take the deal, get what you can; then continue to negotiate for what you want.

Isn't that what happened at Oslo?

It was supposed to be the start of a process leading to the formation of a Palestinian state. At the time of Oslo, 125,000 Israelis lived in settlements in the West Bank and Gaza.

By 2000, there were over 200,000, and a similar number in settlements in East Jerusalem.

Talking is all well and good, but realistically it's not going to get the Palestinians anywhere.
(Not that I approve of their current tactics, anymore than the Israeli response)

Offline Staga

• Parolee
  • Platinum Member
Middle East - DejaVu?
« Reply #114 on: April 03, 2002, 05:10:17 PM »
Toad: Interesting reading for you and me too.

Same site: Water and war in middle east.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2002, 05:15:27 PM by Staga »

Offline Pongo

• Platinum Member
Middle East - DejaVu?
« Reply #115 on: April 03, 2002, 05:14:42 PM »
where where the Finns serving in 98?

Offline Staga

• Parolee
  • Platinum Member
Middle East - DejaVu?
« Reply #116 on: April 03, 2002, 05:42:53 PM »
Pongo that's hard to find but at that time frame some of our troops were in Croatia, Macedonia, Bosnia-Hertzegovina and southern Lebanon.

Current U.N operations
Completed U.N missions

Offline Sikboy

• Platinum Member
Middle East - DejaVu?
« Reply #117 on: April 03, 2002, 05:53:43 PM »
Originally posted by Staga
Toad: Interesting reading for you and me too.

This is a very interesting article. I thought it was a very fair treatment of the subject. But I think that this goes a very long way to explaining why the United States should provide support via defense obligations under NATO and other treaty regimes, as opposed to direct involvement with "peacekeeping" troops. In essense, the US "WarFighting" army allows others within the NATO umbrella to maintain "PeaceKeeping" forces. Just a thought.

Not at all sure how this relates to the US role in the middle east though. (haven't read the second article yet)

-Sikboy
« Last Edit: April 03, 2002, 05:58:24 PM by Sikboy »
You: Blah Blah Blah
Me: Meh, whatever.

Offline Pongo

• Platinum Member
Middle East - DejaVu?
« Reply #118 on: April 03, 2002, 05:54:35 PM »
Staga, do you feel that Finland(or the other counties) in your list have some moral supperiority over the US because they have thier conscripts on UN tours? Vs the US putting its professional soldiers in harms way as peace makers?

Offline Thrawn

• Platinum Member
Middle East - DejaVu?
« Reply #119 on: April 03, 2002, 06:07:25 PM »
Originally posted by Sikboy
In essense, the US "WarFighting" army allows others within the NATO umbrella to maintain "PeaceKeeping" forces. Just a thought.

-Sikboy

Actually, you could see it as the opposite.  Canadian Forces took over US peacekeeping duties in Bosnia, so the US could have more personel in Afghanistan.