Author Topic: MK 108 lehtality  (Read 1768 times)

Offline fats

• Copper Member
MK 108 lehtality
« on: January 27, 2000, 07:46:00 AM »
Flew the Bf 109G-6/U4 all night yesterday. The fighters are withstanding upto 5 30mm hits with out _any_ damage, as confirmed from the target. Admitedly on those occasions the hits were scattered all over the plane. How many areas of a F4U for example is able to take a single 30mm hit and not report it damaged?

Several times, George, F4U or P-51 sustained 2 30mm hits into mid wing from a 90deg planform shot. So there's no way the shells could be thought to bounce off ( ? ), and probably neat chance for the ammunition or fuel to go off.

To make me even more aggrivated by the damage/lethality modelling: I was dogfighting a George on deck 150yds or less behind him, when some idiot-bishop decides to come and help me. At this point all I had left was MGs. He dully cuts in front of me and I lose rudder and vstab to a _very_ short burst of MG 131s because of killshooter.

In comparasion the lethalities of MG 131 and MK 108 appear questionable to me. I am losing hit packets from the MK 108? Dunno, did series of 100 pings before and after playing, and it was both times 0% 200ms.

Is the damage potential of guns and the durability of fighters finalized now? I didn't comment on it before, cause I knew they weren't. But 1.00 readme said something about making correct damage systems for planes.

On a same note, any US side players willing to do some target drone tests? I guess most my enemies I fire at are from US so figured that would be the best way to go about it.

//fats

Offline Toad

• Plutonium Member
MK 108 lehtality
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2000, 07:59:00 AM »
Hey Fats!

I'm always up for testing!

"Drill me, fill me, really thrill me!"  

If yah seem me on-line, give me a shout. I'll particiapte..got a few things I'm curious about myself.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!

Offline Westy

• Gold Member
MK 108 lehtality
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2000, 08:02:00 AM »
Fats if you ever see me up I'll help out.

As for where you hit? Can't always trust what you see due to the internet...
You may have seen a great, spot on, perpendicular shell stike on a wing - on your FE - but it may have been a clean miss due to net lag....

-Westy

Offline dolomite

• Zinc Member
MK 108 lehtality
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2000, 08:08:00 AM »
I'll help if you or anyone else wants to test.

spinny

MK 108 lehtality
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2000, 08:13:00 AM »
So will I, Fats...we seem to fly at the same times, you just holler.

------------------
Spinny, VF-17, The Jolly Rogers 8X

Offline Rocket

• Nickel Member
MK 108 lehtality
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2000, 08:20:00 AM »
And don't forget when ya test that the F4U doesn't have wing tanks hence no exploding wings   Just watch them rip off at 400IAS and 2gs  

Rocket

------------------
The Red Dragons
Fierce and Bold
With Honour and Courage

Offline fats

• Copper Member
MK 108 lehtality
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2000, 11:49:00 AM »
Thanks for all the offers. gotta see if someone's up tonight.

Westy,

Hit calcs are done at your own FE, what you see hit will hit at the location of the hit spark. That is if the packet doesn't get lost on transit. Well taht's the way I think it works anyway. I guess the server does the damage calcs, or the other person's FE so that's why parts will fly off lagged.

AW use( d? ) to have server check even if you did hit, but you could turn on 'local hits' to see debrii fly off when your FE thinks you have hit. Then wait for server's response if the plane actually explodes/smokes/etc.

Possible improvements I could think for the current system would be 'important packets' and local damage effects. The protocol is UDP so no automatic resending of packets, but server and client could track a sequence number of last sent and last received packet and ask for resending a specific packet.

Something like hit packet should be a important packet that will be stored locally N seconds for resending.

Also for local damage effects, on FE log on initialize the FE with damage model data. When you hit a plane enough times you see wing fall off immediately - local effect. Damage goes to server and sends a confirmation packet to your FE of that the server has gotten the damage and agrees that the plane is ded. Otherwise it sends a packet indicating that the wing did not fall off.

//fats

TT

MK 108 lehtality
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2000, 01:06:00 PM »
 I have had some success getting rid of the rubber bullits in these two ways. First reboot your computer and run scandisc. The other is to switch countrys. I did this a few day ago and havent had any trouble since.

Offline hitech

• Administrator
  • Administrator
      • http://www.hitechcreations.com
MK 108 lehtality
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2000, 01:09:00 PM »
Fats hit packets are NOT sent via udp.

HiTech

Offline Pyro

• Administrator
  • Administrator
MK 108 lehtality
« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2000, 05:05:00 PM »
I'll do some flying with it and check it out.

------------------
Doug "Pyro" Balmos
HiTech Creations

"The side with the fanciest uniforms loses."

Offline Fishu

• Gold Member
MK 108 lehtality
« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2000, 01:14:00 AM »
I Have noticed 30mm being VERY inneffective against bombers..
I might hit their tail feathers for +6 hits and *nothing* falls off.. (could think that at least some of those 3 stabs in the back would fall)

Also, it seems like N1K2 is most durable plane in AH with F4u. (hmm, I always thought that P-51 were more tougher than N1K2)

They do say that it was a shock for US pilots to see how tough N1K2 was, but, was that compared to some lousy zekes or ETO planes? I Think it more realistic that it was compared to zeke kind of paper kites.
(lower durability of n1k2 a bit huh?  )

Sorrow[S=A]

MK 108 lehtality
« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2000, 01:21:00 AM »
Actually fishu, from what Verm has given out and what I read on my own the Nik2 was a bullet sponge. Late war fighter, tough construction, thicker surface. More manueverable than top speed fast but, still very tough.

Offline Pyro

• Administrator
  • Administrator
MK 108 lehtality
« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2000, 03:33:00 AM »
Fats,

Toyed around with the G-10 tonight with the 30mm.  Did about 10 kills with it and always had good results.  

------------------
Doug "Pyro" Balmos
HiTech Creations

"The side with the fanciest uniforms loses."

Offline fats

• Copper Member
MK 108 lehtality
« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2000, 05:42:00 AM »
Okay I really must have had serious bad luck ( like getting killed by kill shooter from my own single MG 131 burst ). I didn't have time to try it last night, but will try to this weekend. Get back on the issue then with hopefully some 'numbers' one way or the other.

//fats

Offline fats

• Copper Member
MK 108 lehtality
« Reply #14 on: January 30, 2000, 05:59:00 PM »
Flew the U4 again, and now everything died with 1 or 2 hits like I expected to. Now what caused what I saw earlier? No idea.

//fats