Author Topic: A question on FPS  (Read 389 times)

Offline Gadfly

• Silver Member
A question on FPS
« on: July 31, 2001, 07:49:00 PM »
I always had excellent FPS when I flew, but I have been gone since the Naval aspect has really come into play.

What kind of FPS do you get with, say, 50 planes, enemy and friendly, fighting over the CV group, with some PTs and LSTs milling about, plus clouds?

Offline the_hegemon

• Copper Member
      • http://127.0.0.1
A question on FPS
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2001, 08:13:00 PM »
that would never happen since the instaflak(TM) would kill all the enemy planes in about 30 seconds  :)

I don't take any framerate hit at all flying over a CV group with clouds compared to flying over water with clouds.

Offline AKDejaVu

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.dbstaines.com
A question on FPS
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2001, 08:25:00 PM »
Don't worry Gadfly.. it will be much better than what you are used to.. even in worse case scenarios.

AKDejaVu

Offline Dmitry

• Copper Member
A question on FPS
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2001, 08:28:00 PM »
I noticed that many planes - both friendly and enemy are not decreesing FPS - at lest much.. same for TG's.... The only thing that kills my frames are smoke.... 10 smoking hangars at field and i may kiss FPS goodbye. Clouds cut FPS by 1/2 for me... thats UNDER clouds. <thunder clouds> Those puffs are also have no much affect on FPS.

Say I have 25-30 FPS.. average... means withh 2 CV's and lotsa cons and some clouds I would have 20-24 FPS. When I am looking at that dirrection... Smoke and i have like 5-8 FPS  :D  guess its upgrade time  :)

Offline Gadfly

• Silver Member
A question on FPS
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2001, 09:42:00 PM »
You see, AKdejavue, that is your problem.  Someone asks an honest question, and instead of provinding information, you assume.

I get 75-150 in WB's, worse case scenario, should I assume that is what you get?

Offline Skernsk2

• Zinc Member
A question on FPS
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2001, 10:04:00 PM »
Giving FPS is easy Gadfly.

I get 60 - 100 with system A

Joe over there gets low 20's with system B

Bob has a coal burning PC and gets sigle digits in the smoke and around CV furballs.

My point...what are your system specs?

What is your framerate?

Answers to the above questions will let the rest of us know what you have and what you are getting for a frame rate.

THEN we can figure out if you are having a problem or not.

[ 07-31-2001: Message edited by: sk ]

Offline wolf37

• Copper Member
A question on FPS
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2001, 11:06:00 PM »
Originally posted by the_hegemon:
I don't take any framerate hit at all flying over a CV group with clouds compared to flying over water with clouds.

just woundering where you find a CV group with out the water.   :p

Offline Gadfly

• Silver Member
A question on FPS
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2001, 11:14:00 PM »
Salute! sk.  Thanks for the reply.  I was wondering what people got in those conditions with the various systems that they use, the actual hardware is not relevant.

My interest is not so much in AH as it is to comparing it between various online games.  In Warbirds, for instance, in a big ol furball over the Cv, I don't notice any drop in FPS(no clouds and less ground stuff, though).  

In WWIIOL, there is a big drop in FPS over a large battle, and AH would have the closest situation for comparison.  The criteria above would be a medium sized battle in WWIIOL, and my frame rates would drop into the high teens.  Would I expect the same thing in AH(or WBIII, for that matter, when there are enough persons in there to test it)?

Offline Octavius

• Skinner Team
  • Platinum Member
A question on FPS
« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2001, 11:41:00 PM »
Given all of the mentioned "FPS hazards," my FPS would be around .2.  No kidding either  :)

oct
octavius
Fat Drunk BasTards (forum)

"bastard coated bastards with bastard filling?  delicious!"
Guest of the ++Blue Knights++[/size]

Offline Kieran

• Platinum Member
A question on FPS
« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2001, 12:19:00 AM »
I always averaged above 30fps even in the worst of situations.

Offline pugg666

• Silver Member
A question on FPS
« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2001, 12:34:00 AM »
PII 266 128 megs of ram, geforce 2 mx....
and the lowest i get is about 10-15 around a smoking field....everywhere else is 25+

but then again i tend to avoid smoking fields if i can

anyways, i don't know if this is true or not(can someone enlighten me?) but the human eye can't distinguise anything above 25 fps anyways?....eg 50 seems the same as 26 fps...
must have just been some fairy tale i've heard

Offline AKDejaVu

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.dbstaines.com
A question on FPS
« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2001, 12:57:00 AM »
The criteria above would be a medium sized battle in WWIIOL

LOL!

You're not talking aircraft and CVs then.  Cuase WW2OL doesn't have CVs and there aren't that many aircraft in one spot ever.

How about comparing the scenario above with say 6 aircraft flying close to you in WW2OL.  That would be a tad bit more fair.

I can't believe that "medium size battle" bit.  You crack me up.

AKDejaVu

[ 08-01-2001: Message edited by: AKDejaVu ]

Offline Gadfly

• Silver Member
A question on FPS
« Reply #12 on: August 01, 2001, 06:50:00 AM »
Flying, driving, whatever, I gaurantee you I have been in battles with more than 100 units in one area.  That drops me to about 5 FPS in ww2ol, in Warbirds probably 50 units over the cv group, I get 50+.

So what do you get AK, here.

Offline Ripsnort

• Radioactive Member
A question on FPS
« Reply #13 on: August 01, 2001, 08:16:00 AM »
Originally posted by Gadfly:
In Warbirds, for instance, in a big ol furball over the Cv, I don't notice any drop in FPS(no clouds and less ground stuff, though).  

Kinda tough to compare graphics made in 1995 to those used today.

I've been in some huge CV battles, system is:

PIII-800EB
Abit V something MB
256 PC-120 ram
32 meg. GeForce 2 Pro (O/C'd to 250)
Win 98

I was over near A17 last night with 2 CV's in close proximity, clouds (storm front) over head, approx. 20 knits or more fighting 20 Rooks, just about 2 miles from CV, pulled anywhere from 20 FPS  to 40 FPS.

Offline Duckwing6

• Copper Member
      • http://www.pink.at
A question on FPS
« Reply #14 on: August 01, 2001, 08:34:00 AM »
also with the multi CV clashes we've had you'll get the sky lit up by amazing masses of ack tracers + thousands of flack bursts ...

i'm still geting 30+ FPS tho with a:

P3 700
Kyro 2 Graphics card (-> bought for WW2OL)
389 MB RAM (-> bought for WW2OL)