Author Topic: Target Ostwind  (Read 846 times)

Offline Flossy

• Aces High CM Staff (Retired)
  • Plutonium Member
      • Flossy's Website
Target Ostwind
« Reply #15 on: April 02, 2002, 02:17:43 AM »
Originally posted by phentop
Dissable is what I try for. A couple hits and he's crawling around in circles. That gets tiresome after a few sec's then they bail and you get the kill...
I don't usually give up that easily.... as long as I have a working gun, beit the main turret or the hull gun, I will stay there, very often peering through the smoke, until all my ammo has run out - or I get resupplied and fully repaired!  :)
Flossy {The Few}
Female Flying For Fun

Offline Airscrew

• Platinum Member
Target Ostwind
« Reply #16 on: April 02, 2002, 08:32:58 AM »
Yes Fester, I have used the A2A rockets on the 110g2 to take out osties.  You don't have to hit the Osty square with the rockets just get close, especially when I fire all four rockets at once.   I usually have salvo set to 2 and fire both salvos just to be sure of one pass one kill.   Then come back on any others with the 30mm.    Using the 30mm you can kill from sides or top.  Usually with two passes.
And yes the higher your angle of attack on the ostie the better your chance to get a kill.   Firing at sides with .50's and 20mm will disable it.    

If I remember right (its been a few tours) a Typhoon with rockets will also take out the Osty.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2002, 08:36:05 AM by Airscrew »

Offline Hogboy

• Zinc Member
Target Ostwind
« Reply #17 on: April 03, 2002, 02:01:23 PM »
I like the Ostie so much because of its versatility.  Not only is it a great anti-aircraft platform, multiple hits from its 37mm will disable and kill any enemy gv, including Panzers.  I get almost as many kills of Panzers as I do aircraft.

The tactics Rip and others have mentioned have been my undoing most of the time when I'm killed driving the Ostie.  Coordinated, simulataneous attacks by two or more aircraft are the only way to beat an alert Ostie gunner without exposing an attacking aircraft to real danger.  Bombs and rockets of course are better than just strafing.

Offline vorticon

• Platinum Member
Target Ostwind
« Reply #18 on: April 04, 2002, 10:33:17 AM »
well here i was flying in my hurri 2c and i see some guy in a ostwid about 2 k below me i get right above him go into a dive blatsing away and as i get to about 500 or  700 feet above hime i level out and start dodging my way away i get about 2 k away and someone else was attaking him so i turn and attack coming form the other way the other guy gets no hits in and explodes i kill hime before he has a chance to react.

Offline BigMax

• Gold Member
      • http://www.cybrtyme.com/personal/hblair/mainpage.htm
IL2
« Reply #19 on: April 04, 2002, 02:12:15 PM »
I like the IL2 for hunting most GVs... Ditto on the comments above about winging and bait-n-switch... That tactic is best.  Pass directly over the OSTI (out of his range), the invert and do 70 or 80 degree dive releasing your eggs or rockets on the way down.
As for the best plane for the job? I like the IL2. I use 1 IL2 rocket only, 2 for allied planes, LWs the A2A will work but the effective range is weird - haven't completely figured it yet.  My favorite thing about the IL2 is that her 23mm cannon shreds armor better than the rest... Sure the others will kill trends, guns, and engines..., but the IL2 will get explosions from the side or rear most passes. And she will usually take 2 or 3 37mm hits before losing critical parts... It's one tough bird.

Try it, you'll like it

Offline Fester'

• Parolee
  • Copper Member
Target Ostwind
« Reply #20 on: April 04, 2002, 03:48:53 PM »
Disnt a version of the IL2 have some ungodly armament like 37mm itself?  I wanna fly that one.

Ill give it a try, I ashamedly have not flown it in the arena.  I get the impression that the 110g2 is a bit fragile, tho I have nothing to base this on other than I die a lot in it and dont want to blame myself  :)

Offline eskimo2

• Platinum Member
      • hallbuzz.com
Target Ostwind
« Reply #21 on: April 04, 2002, 04:15:26 PM »
Last week I landed a 41 kill sortie in a Spit V.
Mostly GVs, including 16 Ostwinds.
Watch carefully.  Get em when they are looking elswhere, as stated by others above.

eskimo

Offline Wlfgng

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.nick-tucker.com
Target Ostwind
« Reply #22 on: April 05, 2002, 05:29:21 PM »
the 100-G2 is an assault animal!

take the large ammo and peel away armor...

Offline Flossy

• Aces High CM Staff (Retired)
  • Plutonium Member
      • Flossy's Website
Target Ostwind
« Reply #23 on: April 06, 2002, 01:30:06 AM »
Originally posted by Ripsnort
if you out of ord, and have guns only, the "Bait and switch" tactics work well, have your wingman bait him by diving in, then pulling out before your wingy gets within a lethal range, meanwhile, your behind the target, just about 3 seconds behind your wingman from an opposite direction, strafing the target.  Coordination is the key.
This tactic was tried on me last night.... there were quite a few enemy planes around, and I was trying to keep an eye on all of them.  I saw one start the classic dive in towards me and I opened fire.... then it broke off.  I checked my views and saw another coming in quickly - swung around and promptly shot it down, then swung back to the original one just in time to shoot him down too....  :D Great fun! :p
Flossy {The Few}
Female Flying For Fun

Offline Viper17

• Nickel Member
Target Ostwind
« Reply #24 on: April 07, 2002, 07:57:02 PM »
When i drive it. If i can get to an enemy field with my wing man. we hang out in a hanger back to back. to protect us from enemy ac trying to get us. COVER BOTH HOLES.